Guild wars 2 first impressions after beta!

Nuke

Active Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2008
Messages
332
I had fun in little time i played the beta encountered a few bugs like wvw doors appearing clear instead of solid. My guild chat function ceased to work after the 2nd day.

Other then those measly beta issues the gameplay is rather smooth and gets much more fun after level 7 when you can hot swap weapons. I only played a few hours a day i can't give games the time i used to after 2 kids but, none the less had fun every minute of it. Another bug i encountered was logging out in WvW and trying to relog in. The WvW servers were full so it would bug out on the log in screen. I believe they should auto lobby your character if you logout or exit out while in WvW.

On to WvW the concept is great travel in large groups and take over castles and keeps. Now the problem i found was Where are these large groups?

When you pull up the map via "m" it shows people around you in the immediate area but, doesn't really guide you on where your team is or what castle and or castles they are attacking. Unless i was doing something wrong or they did this i purpose i just think it needs a bit more interface with the map in WvW. I Found my self getting either lost or running into a horde of enemy players with no backup then dieing and trying to run in another direction looking for teammates. Did anyone come across this issue? Eventually i figured out the gates on the start area and found some large groups and took over about 8 castles before the group disbanded. This mode can lead into some EPIC battles.
 
I had fun in little time i played the beta encountered a few bugs like wvw doors appearing clear instead of solid. My guild chat function ceased to work after the 2nd day.

Other then those measly beta issues the gameplay is rather smooth and gets much more fun after level 7 when you can hot swap weapons. I only played a few hours a day i can't give games the time i used to after 2 kids but, none the less had fun every minute of it. Another bug i encountered was logging out in WvW and trying to relog in. The WvW servers were full so it would bug out on the log in screen. I believe they should auto lobby your character if you logout or exit out while in WvW.

On to WvW the concept is great travel in large groups and take over castles and keeps. Now the problem i found was Where are these large groups?

When you pull up the map via "m" it shows people around you in the immediate area but, doesn't really guide you on where your team is or what castle and or castles they are attacking. Unless i was doing something wrong or they did this i purpose i just think it needs a bit more interface with the map in WvW. I Found my self getting either lost or running into a horde of enemy players with no backup then dieing and trying to run in another direction looking for teammates. Did anyone come across this issue? Eventually i figured out the gates on the start area and found some large groups and took over about 8 castles before the group disbanded. This mode can lead into some EPIC battles.


Pull up the map.... Look around for sword icons. A Sword icon indicates that there is fighting going on in that area.

I liked the game but i didn't enjoy it as much as i thought i would. I'm gonna be putting alot more time into diablo 3.. =/
 
Last edited:
I found the game more enjoyable the further you level.
 
The Beta weekend event was spectacular! The one and only major problem I had with this beta was the lack of a party system. You could invite your friends to a party, but you couldn't go into the world together. We ended up banging our heads against the front gate of Hoelbrak several times until we got into the actual server and not overflow; this seemed to be the only way to group up with your friends. Other than that, the beta was everything I expected and more. I am very much looking forward to the next beta weekend and the release of the game.

P.S. Playing with friends is a lot more fun than playing by yourself.
 
I didn't like that 'fight to survive' feature they included in pvp.... It's a nice idea for pve and WvW pvp but it's a pretty dumb move for battleground pvp imo. It's like saying if you end up going 1v2 or 1v3 despite how skilled you are....it's an auto lose/death for you.

Plus i think it's bugged all together. I noticed surviving and getting back up then randomly dying while having full hp when nobody is attacking me.
 
Last edited:
The game is outstanding. I'm sooo mad that the beta weekend is over =( everything about it is amazing. This is a game that I will definitely play for months to come.
 
Beautiful game, wish I had more time to play it, and less annoyances that stopped me from doing so.

Breath-taking scenery, fun combat and most importantly, non-competitive and actually co-op encouraging gameplay. Dynamic events are enjoyable and really fun to play. Personal stories are captivating and challenging. PvP is balanced as far as the classes go. I found the PvP maps a bit small, in the sense that most of the fields are small passages.

9/10 and will get an extra point once they fix most of the bugs.

I didn't like that 'fight to survive' feature they included in pvp.... It's a nice idea for pve and WvW pvp but it's a pretty dumb move for battleground pvp imo. It's like saying if you end up going 1v2 or 1v3 despite how skilled you are....it's an auto lose/death for you.

Plus i think it's bugged all together. I noticed surviving and getting back up then randomly dying while having full hp when nobody is attacking me.

You may not like it, but I believe it fills it purpose pretty well. Without it, in a 1v2 or 1v3 scenario you are dead anyways, so what's the matter in having some extra struggle? As a thief, I had a downed skill that gave me stealth and shadowstepped to a random location. They might have left me for dead and I could have rallied and finished them. You can get up with the help of your team mates, warriors have a few utilities that raise you, and every other downed ally and put you back on the field. Imagine having that happen and turn around the whole fight? Sure, in some if not most, you will still be killed, but it opens a spot for all sort of crazy maneuvers.
 
Last edited:
Without it, in a 1v2 or 1v3 scenario you are dead anyways

No offense to you but this is the typical amateur's way of thinking when it comes to pvp(this type of mindset stretches out to every game that includes pvp, the general public thinks like this that's why when an exceptional player comes along to prove them wrong they immediately yell out 'hacker') and this statement has already been proven wrong during the beta weekend.

The fact of the matter is once you've killed 2 or 3 people. By the time you get to the 2nd person with the 3 second kill animation... The 2nd and 3rd person is up running around with 100% hp already.

It's really a flawed / imbalanced system. You said the pvp is balanced.... Have you played all the classes? The pvp isn't close to being balanced especially with the new range system. Range classes > melee classes by far.
 
Last edited:
No offense to you but this is the typical amateur's way of thinking when it comes to pvp(this type of mindset stretches out to every game that includes pvp, the general public thinks like this that's why when an exceptional player comes along to prove them wrong they immediately yell out 'hacker') and this statement has already been proven wrong during the beta weekend.

The fact of the matter is once you've killed 2 or 3 people. By the time you get to the 2nd person with the 3 second kill animation... The 2nd and 3rd person is up running around with 100% hp already.

It's really a flawed / imbalanced system. You said the pvp is balanced.... Have you played all the classes? The pvp isn't close to being balanced especially with the new range system. Range classes > melee classes by far.


None taken. I was leaving out those cases out of my scenarios. Believe me, If I'm going down, I'm fighting you to the end of it; Specially with the thief, there would be at least one I would chase to death shadowstepping my way through their friends. Shadowshot is a great chasing skill. I don't want to sound contradictory. If I say "You are dead anyways" what I'm saying is "Dying will happen, try hard or not. Winning will happen only if you try. Aim for the win"
And of course, you can't control a point by yourself, that's the point of not being able to control all three enemies. If you kill them three, you can expect the first one to be back soon, because you shouldn't be able to hold them by yourself all the time.

I believe trying all the classes extensively would achieve nothing. As far as the thief goes, it takes time getting used to the skills, the way they play and so on. It is IMPOSSIBLE in my opinion to be good at PvP with just this weekend of gameplay.

Because of that mindset of mine, and your mindset, we've got two different visions of the same game. Ain't that awesome?
Ranged is an advantage in every game that has both melee and ranged class, that's the point of it. Range is an advantage, always.
Now, does that mean it's overpowered? Unbeatable? Hell no! Tune your tactics up! If you run straight to a thief with a shortbow, he will start using disabling shot, crippling you. He can get three shots on you, making you slow, while evading your attacks. So don't run straight at him, retreat, look for a way to flank him. Take away that advantage of him. Most classes actually have quite a few ranged attacks and can use ranged weapons. Use them, force your enemy to take cover. Hell, I don't know all the utilities from most of the classes but I'm pretty sure there's something to help you beat them.

Sincerely, I think the PvP is amazingly balanced and challenging. It makes my heart beat like crazy, you feel the rush of the combat. And I didn't even play WvWvW!
 
Last edited:
Range classes > melee classes by far.

I believe myself and many more will disagree with you. Each class and weapon set is completely viable. Its a matter of learning how to use it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83hvsuTd_No[/ame]

Warrior killing people in 3-4 seconds? Yeah. Melee? Yeah.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkGx56riidY[/ame]

Quite a few 1v2 situations where he always wins, even some OHKOs.
 
Last edited:
I was owning people with the gaurdian a squishy is a squishy period. we are all entitled to our opinions :) none the less its a great game.
 
Been loving everything about this game for a while now. My favorite thing? Being able to quest with a bunch of people without joining a party.
 
I wanna buy this game and play it so much! Sadly I'm useing my money to buy a new xbox so that I can once again own people on the battlefield of battlefield 3. But then I'll be broke and wont be able to enjoy GW2 :(
 
Or, I could buy my friend's xbox off of him for $80, which then I'll have enough for GW2. But, my friend just told me that the xbox just got the red rings, so hes gonna get it fixed first then sell it to me. Which I have no idea when that will be, and I'm not sure if its a good idea to buy an xbox that has gotten the red rings?
 
Back
Top