Astro A40 Audio System: Got the cash. Worth the buy?

runo

Forum Fiend
Joined
Nov 20, 2009
Messages
589
I've decided to put off my PC upgrades until Christmas. I unfortunately don't have a job anymore and making a $500+ payment right now is kind of iffy. However, it was my birthday last month and I did get the offer to be bought one large present up to about $250 (NOT including shipping) that I don't have to pay for, so that's pretty darn awesome. Here's the catch: my folks said it has to be one single item in one single order (don't ask why; they're kind of archaic and are still wary about using credit cards online). Rambling aside...

So I've been hearing a lot of good things about a brand of headset manufacturers that you may have heard of: Astro. They supposedly produce the hands-down best gaming headsets around, as they're THE featured MLG product for audio systems. Here's the question... Is it legitimately worth the money or would I just be buying into the "MLG gear is best gear!" hype like with Razer?

This is the specific one I'm eyeing, since it comes with the headset AND their mixer/amp/control/USB soundcard.. device... thing... that I need to make it sound the best. I freakin' love good audio, and everyone I talk to that has one -- and reviewers everywhere -- seem to be in love with this thing's audio.

I'd be upgrading from a Corsair HS1A with no soundcard (and I don't think I have a spot in my case for a soundcard anyway...), so there's that. I'd be using it for:
*Competitive gaming (I do scrims on Counter-Strike: Source, Tribes: Ascend and other games where excellent-sounding audio and crystal-clear mic quality are a must)
*Music (mostly metal, hard rock, electronic, industrial)
*Vent/Mumble/TS3 and Skype (my current mic is butts)
*FRAPS/Bandicam/Overwolf videos and voice-overs (probably through these platforms or pre-recorded through Audacity)
*Recording music (I'm undergoing vocal training for singing, and again, my current mic is butts)

Mostly the good mic quality and in-game audio aspects are the most important, but if music sounds like crap in these cans, I'd hate to buy them. Any thoughts or input?

Thanks in advance!
 
I've decided to put off my PC upgrades until Christmas. I unfortunately don't have a job anymore and making a $500+ payment right now is kind of iffy. However, it was my birthday last month and I did get the offer to be bought one large present up to about $250 (NOT including shipping) that I don't have to pay for, so that's pretty darn awesome. Here's the catch: my folks said it has to be one single item in one single order (don't ask why; they're kind of archaic and are still wary about using credit cards online). Rambling aside...

So I've been hearing a lot of good things about a brand of headset manufacturers that you may have heard of: Astro. They supposedly produce the hands-down best gaming headsets around, as they're THE featured MLG product for audio systems. Here's the question... Is it legitimately worth the money or would I just be buying into the "MLG gear is best gear!" hype like with Razer?

This is the specific one I'm eyeing, since it comes with the headset AND their mixer/amp/control/USB soundcard.. device... thing... that I need to make it sound the best. I freakin' love good audio, and everyone I talk to that has one -- and reviewers everywhere -- seem to be in love with this thing's audio.

I'd be upgrading from a Corsair HS1A with no soundcard (and I don't think I have a spot in my case for a soundcard anyway...), so there's that. I'd be using it for:
*Competitive gaming (I do scrims on Counter-Strike: Source, Tribes: Ascend and other games where excellent-sounding audio and crystal-clear mic quality are a must)
*Music (mostly metal, hard rock, electronic, industrial)
*Vent/Mumble/TS3 and Skype (my current mic is butts)
*FRAPS/Bandicam/Overwolf videos and voice-overs (probably through these platforms or pre-recorded through Audacity)
*Recording music (I'm undergoing vocal training for singing, and again, my current mic is butts)

Mostly the good mic quality and in-game audio aspects are the most important, but if music sounds like crap in these cans, I'd hate to buy them. Any thoughts or input?

Thanks in advance!

I have the A40s and couldn't be happier. Great depth of sound for gaming as well as music. Comfortable for long sits. Mic is great as I have had people in the past say I sounded like I was in the room with them. I wrote a small review of them on Amazon but it has since vanished. I won't be buying a new headset for quite a while.

That's pretty cool about the vocal training! I was classically trained as a vocal performance major for a couple years in college, until I switched.
 
Thanks for the response! All in all it sounds like the perfect headset if one can afford it. Since I can, I think I'll be pulling the trigger on this one. Thanks again!

A vocal performance major? That's awesome! I'm nowhere near that good--I'm undergoing classical training in hopes of one day getting into a rock band or doing my own one-man group one day--but I write my own lyrics and play a tiny bit of piano and guitar (I used to do a little drumming but I don't have access to my friend's kit anymore, which was the one I used).

What major did you switch to? Feel free to toss me a PM if you wanna talk music performance/vocals. I could always use some advice!
 

Latest posts

Back
Top