Can I upgrade this?

FireHazard772

Poster Extraordinaire
=(e)=
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
3,047
Is there any part of the following details that perhaps could be upgraded/etc?

Here's the post of my most recent Desk Set up (First picture is rotated): http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1963275&postcount=126


My Xfire.com Profile (Which I haven't used for a long time, only update it via automatic or manual :P ) shows the following:
Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5110 @ 1.60GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.6GHz

Memory: 6144MB RAM

Hard Drive: 465GB Main, 74.4GB Secondary, 1 TB Third

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

Monitor: DualMonitor Display 1920*1080 Res

Sound Card: Headset (Sound Blaster Tactic(3D) Alpha)

Speakers/Headphones: Creative Sound Blaster Tactic(3D) Alpha

Keyboard: Kensington Slim type Keyboard

Mouse: Razer Diamondback Salamander Red 1600 DPI Gaming Mouse

Mouse Surface: Cyber Snipa TRACER

Operation System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)

Motherboard:

Computer Case: Dell Workstation Precision 690
 
Id say if anything, the cpu may need an upgrade, but never handled server hardware before. After searching up the specs, found out that your cpu socket is outta date now, which means that most of your parts would need to be replaced (mainly the cpu, motherboard, & memory). One other thing, whenever you get the upgraded parts, I highly recommend that you backup whatever you wanna save on an external hard drive since more than like the primary hard drive/partition will be reformatted due to newer motherboard. If main hard drive has the os built into it, then gotta reformat that guy. No guarantee that the new motherboard wont have the other hard drives formatted either.

Now heres my ? 4 u: how much are you looking to spend to upgrade your desktop/server?
 
As far as I know, this is all desktop, other than when you google the pieces.

To answer your question though, for now I'll just stick with whatever. Some things I might upgrade, some I might not..whatever comes to mind when I do end up upgrading it.
 
Looks like you could upgrade to a quad core xeon lga 771 assuming they are all compatible with your mobo. However, with it being such an old socket, you might only be able to find used or refurbished ones and the prices might be high.
 
Anyone know where I can find the prices of the pieces I can upgrade to?

Or just possible pieces I even can upgrade to?
 
Anyone know where I can find the prices of the pieces I can upgrade to?

Or just possible pieces I even can upgrade to?

since its older, ebay or something, if you wanted to upgrade to a new mothebraord/cpu/ram then you can pretty much buy whatever you wanted from newegg or something
 
Anyone know where I can find the prices of the pieces I can upgrade to?

Or just possible pieces I even can upgrade to?

Heres ebay for ya: [ame]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-E5345-Quad-Core-2-33Ghz-8M-1333-Socket-771-LGA771-Processor-CPU-SL9YL-/150799068123?pt=CPUs&hash=item231c532bdb[/ame]

However, if you want better performance, I highly suggest upgrading to i5 cpu w/ mobo & ddr3 memory (pref 6-8gb memory). This is based on the fact that you have a machine w/ an Intel cpu. If you wanna go cheaper, then go AMD. Just so you know, memory doesnt matter when it comes to the cpu, as long as the memory matches w/ the mobo (which most current memory matches the mobo out there).
 

Latest posts

Back
Top