Problems with sound

mcxphoenix

Active Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2012
Messages
284
I recently started having issues where my sound would randomly and suddenly stop while in DoD and Vent. I was able to fix it once by disabling and reenabling my sound card under the device manager, but now it takes a full computer reboot to fix. The attached picture is the error message I get in Vent every time it happens. It's been happening for a while now, at first it was like once a week but it has been getting to be more like almost every day now.

http://www.imagebam.com/image/72cd4c189540289
 
I'll look into the error message you're getting to see if if it's deeper than just a simple driver reinstall. For now I wanted to get your at least attempting one fix which is to reinstall the audio driver. Follow these steps:

1. Download the current driver for your sound card. If you have onboard sound, you will need to know the motherboard model number and go to that manufacturer's website to obtain the proper drivers. Keep in mind, never use random driver websites and stick to the manufacturer drivers as third party drivers have been known to come with malicious stuff.

2. Uninstall the current driver by going to device manager like you are showing in your picture and choose the uninstall option at the bottom of that driver display page for your sound card and restart your computer.

3. Right click on your driver install file and run as administrator and follow the installation wizard and restart your computer again after a successful installation of your audio driver. If your driver does not come with an installer package and just the .inf file then you'll want to navigate back to device manager and look for the yellow item listed as not working properly and manually install the driver via right click option, update driver. Manually point to the .inf file (driver) and complete the add hardware wizard and restart your computer.

After further research I found this to be helpful and wanted to have you read it. Microsoft's suggestion to fix this issue. I would look at the reply with some instructions to make sure your sound card is the default sound device. Hopefully this helps you resolve your issue. Please report back with results when you've completed these troubleshooting steps, thanks!
 
Last edited:
I've ensured the soundcard is the default sound device, downloading the audio driver for the reinstall now.
 
Driver reinstalled correctly with no problems. Restarted computer when prompted, when it booted back up I tested the sound and everything worked properly. Looks good, Thank you for your help. If I get the problem again I will reply back to the thread, and I will keep watch on the thread to see if you come up with anything else I should do.
 
I've ensured the soundcard is the default sound device, downloading the audio driver for the reinstall now.

Let us know how that works by the looks of the error it appears that the driver is what is dropping out on you. Normally a uninstall/reinstall will resolve this issue. Also be sure your running your games and vent as administrator.
 
Driver reinstalled correctly with no problems. Restarted computer when prompted, when it booted back up I tested the sound and everything worked properly. Looks good, Thank you for your help. If I get the problem again I will reply back to the thread, and I will keep watch on the thread to see if you come up with anything else I should do.

Glad I could help you with your sound driver issue. At this point it is a "monitoring" situation where we will have to sit back and wait for the problem to arise again or deem it has been resolved. As Hordor mentioned, as a general rule of thumb for anyone using Windows Vista or Windows 7 to run their programs as administrator through the right click menu when launching from a shortcut/executable. Post back if this driver/sound card issue persists and if it has been a week or so with no problems post to let us know there is no further issues. Good luck and have a good weekend!
 
Glad I could help you with your sound driver issue. At this point it is a "monitoring" situation where we will have to sit back and wait for the problem to arise again or deem it has been resolved. As Hordor mentioned, as a general rule of thumb for anyone using Windows Vista or Windows 7 to run their programs as administrator through the right click menu when launching from a shortcut/executable. Post back if this driver/sound card issue persists and if it has been a week or so with no problems post to let us know there is no further issues. Good luck and have a good weekend!

Sicko and Hordor are on track but to add on what has been stated, an item overlooked:

Instead of right-clicking the application shortcuts / .exe every time you want to 'run as administrator' choose to have it run as admin by default. To make this happen follow these steps:

1. Right-Click the shortcut or .exe then go to "Properties'.

2. In the properties dialog, click the "Compatibility" tab. In this tab, at the bottom you will see a "Privilege Level' check box to 'Run this program as administrator' then 'OK'. ***NOTE: This will only affect the currently logged on on user. To apply the setting to all users on the computer and regardless of which shortcut is used to start the application, click 'Change Setting For All Users' to display the 'Properties' dialog box for the application?s .exe file, select the 'Run this program as an administrator' check box, and then click OK twice.***

3. Depending on the level of administrator rights you choose if only for logged on user or everyone, simply 'OK' through the rest to close the boxes and...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPhDcP9y76Y[/ame]

Enjoy, and let me know if I can be of any additional assistance!
 

Latest posts

Back
Top