Xbox 360 or Playstation 3?

Faceman1725

Forum Fiend
Joined
Nov 27, 2010
Messages
737
I am considering purchasing a console and I was wondering what my fellow eGO brothers and sisters could say to help me make a more informed decision. I have had more Xbox experience (original Xbox and friend's 360s) than I have on Playstation. Looking at specs, the PS3 might have a slight edge. 360 or PS3? And why if you don't mind me asking. Thanks in advance! :thumbup1:

Faceman
 
This could end poorly.

Anyway, it really does all come down to personal preference. For example, I prefer the PS3's exclusive games, but to me the Xbox 360's controller is much more ergonomic and I prefer it for multiplatform console games.
 
Ya I agree that this thread can end poorly because we have had similar flame wars over this topic as well as the infamous nVidia vs AMD topic as well. Like Ranthus said, it will def come down to personal preference. Each console has its good & bad things bout it. I would like to highlight both good & bad things about them both so you can get a better idea of which direction you may want to go. Mind you that I am only starting with the Sony Playstation 3 because I have one right now, I am not trying to show favoritism towards that console at all.

Sony Playstation 3:
-Blu-Ray player built in
-certain versions of the 1st gen PS3 have built in legacy technology so you can play PSX & PS2 games (Sony is slowing putting more legacy games into their console store now)
-size and weight difference in fat model (called fat because of how much bigger it is next to the slim & current model)
-some systems have had their hardware failure known as YLoD (Yellow Light of Death). normally system light goes blue if everything is operational. there have been magazines published about how much fewer the hardware failures in the ps3 systems happened than the 360 systems (feel free to read this article, even tho its a rather bit old, but it gives you kind of an idea of how bad the hardware failure rate was during the beginning of the "console war": http://gamer.blorge.com/2009/08/18/xbox-360-failure-rate-over-50-percent-ps3-wii-more-reliable/
-free online gaming, however you can become a member of the Plus group for like $15 a year (dont quite me on that figure tho please, just 2 lazy 2 search it up)
-certain games are only available for PS3 & PSN (Playstation Network)
-Sony's network did get hacked, in case you were oblivious to it. However, they corrected the issue & rewarded all their customers who were willing to stay with them free games as well as a 30 day free trail of the Plus program (not valid to new customers of course). I got 2 sweet games because of this malfunction. I do have friends that have the Wii console as well as the Xbox 360 & respect them for their gaming decision.
-Almost forgot, Sony came out with the Playstation Move (which is an idea of Wii's controllers)

Microsoft Xbox 360:
-notoriously known for their RRoD (Red Ring of Death), which is a hardware failure in the video port of the console. this has supposedly been mostly fixed, but there are few reports of newer systems having Red Light of Death (sorry if this isnt the correct term), but still same issue but with different look to the power button.
-system is known for its modifications to the outer casing, not to mention external third party fans installed to help with the cooling of the hardware
-$50 for an online membership every year
-certain games are only 360 exclusive (same for Xbox Live Arcade aka XBLA)
-Microsoft of course has the Kinect. Unlike the Playstation Move, it uses your whole body to move around on the screen without the need for handheld motion detected controllers.

Now im sure that theres a few things that ive either missed or flatout forgotten bout either side, so please dont chew me out bout it, im just simply going based on my memory. However, if you do post something that is painfully obvious that comes standard with the console, then that will be a good right to chew ya out via PM (however I sincerely hope it doesnt have to come to that). Overall, lets respect this person's interest in wanting to understand their choice of which console that they want to go after & NOT start up a stupid flame war on this.

I will say right now that both the PS3 & 360 have always been neck & neck in graphics. Certain games look better on the PS3 than the 360 & vice versa. It really all just depends on which looks better in your own opinion. It is true that most of the gaming industry uses the 360 for the graphics to show off their game, while a select few use the PS3 to show off their game.
 
Last edited:
Ya I agree that this thread can end poorly because we have had similar flame wars over this topic as well as the infamous nVidia vs AMD topic as well. Like Ranthus said, it will def come down to personal preference. Each console has its good & bad things bout it. I would like to highlight both good & bad things about them both so you can get a better idea of which direction you may want to go. Mind you that I am only starting with the Sony Playstation 3 because I have one right now, I am not trying to show favoritism towards that console at all.

Sony Playstation 3:
-Blu-Ray player built in
-certain versions of the 1st gen PS3 have built in legacy technology so you can play PSX & PS2 games (Sony is slowing putting more legacy games into their console store now)
-size and weight difference in fat model (called fat because of how much bigger it is next to the slim & current model)
-some systems have had their hardware failure known as YLoD (Yellow Light of Death). normally system light goes blue if everything is operational. there have been magazines published about how much fewer the hardware failures in the ps3 systems happened than the 360 systems (feel free to read this article, even tho its a rather bit old, but it gives you kind of an idea of how bad the hardware failure rate was during the beginning of the "console war": http://gamer.blorge.com/2009/08/18/xbox-360-failure-rate-over-50-percent-ps3-wii-more-reliable/
-free online gaming, however you can become a member of the Plus group for like $15 a year (dont quite me on that figure tho please, just 2 lazy 2 search it up)
-certain games are only available for PS3 & PSN (Playstation Network)
-Sony's network did get hacked, in case you were oblivious to it. However, they corrected the issue & rewarded all their customers who were willing to stay with them free games as well as a 30 day free trail of the Plus program (not valid to new customers of course). I got 2 sweet games because of this malfunction. I do have friends that have the Wii console as well as the Xbox 360 & respect them for their gaming decision.
-Almost forgot, Sony came out with the Playstation Move (which is an idea of Wii's controllers)

Microsoft Xbox 360:
-notoriously known for their RRoD (Red Ring of Death), which is a hardware failure in the video port of the console. this has supposedly been mostly fixed, but there are few reports of newer systems having Red Light of Death (sorry if this isnt the correct term), but still same issue but with different look to the power button.
-system is known for its modifications to the outer casing, not to mention external third party fans installed to help with the cooling of the hardware
-$50 for an online membership every year
-certain games are only 360 exclusive (same for Xbox Live Arcade aka XBLA)
-Microsoft of course has the Kinect. Unlike the Playstation Move, it uses your whole body to move around on the screen without the need for handheld motion detected controllers.

Now im sure that theres a few things that ive either missed or flatout forgotten bout either side, so please dont chew me out bout it, im just simply going based on my memory. However, if you do post something that is painfully obvious that comes standard with the console, then that will be a good right to chew ya out via PM (however I sincerely hope it doesnt have to come to that). Overall, lets respect this person's interest in wanting to understand their choice of which console that they want to go after & NOT start up a stupid flame war on this.

I will say right now that both the PS3 & 360 have always been neck & neck in graphics. Certain games look better on the PS3 than the 360 & vice versa. It really all just depends on which looks better in your own opinion. It is true that most of the gaming industry uses the 360 for the graphics to show off their game, while a select few use the PS3 to show off their game.

end of thread.
 
Ya I agree that this thread can end poorly because we have had similar flame wars over this topic as well as the infamous nVidia vs AMD topic as well. Like Ranthus said, it will def come down to personal preference. Each console has its good & bad things bout it. I would like to highlight both good & bad things about them both so you can get a better idea of which direction you may want to go. Mind you that I am only starting with the Sony Playstation 3 because I have one right now, I am not trying to show favoritism towards that console at all.

(shorted to save scroll time :)

^ - Wow - amazing answer!



edit: Never hurts to look at the exclusives for each console and decide which ones appeal to you more. Little Big Planet? Drake's Fortune? Halo? Gears of War?
 
Last edited:
not much of a console gamer at all, but i prefer the xbox, having used both extensively they are both by far good machines, but i still prefer the xbox mostly because its Operating system is smoother and easier to use and the load times on an xbox in camparrison to a PS3 are much much faster. (the newer xboxs are a lot less likly to red ring)

But my main choice in getting one over the ps3 to begin with was i was a halo fan and then i also liked gears of war, and way back then when it was n64 vs play station i never really got into many of the sony exclusive titles like metal gear solid and stuff. so just my personal opinion unless your partial to sony exclusive games, id rather have a xbox 360.

Although in all truthfulness i rarely even use my xbox because I'm a hard core pc gamer, if it releases on pc, i buy it on pc
 
Ya I agree that this thread can end poorly because we have had similar flame wars over this topic as well as the infamous nVidia vs AMD topic as well. Like Ranthus said, it will def come down to personal preference. Each console has its good & bad things bout it. I would like to highlight both good & bad things about them both so you can get a better idea of which direction you may want to go. Mind you that I am only starting with the Sony Playstation 3 because I have one right now, I am not trying to show favoritism towards that console at all.

Sony Playstation 3:
-Blu-Ray player built in
-certain versions of the 1st gen PS3 have built in legacy technology so you can play PSX & PS2 games (Sony is slowing putting more legacy games into their console store now)
-size and weight difference in fat model (called fat because of how much bigger it is next to the slim & current model)
-some systems have had their hardware failure known as YLoD (Yellow Light of Death). normally system light goes blue if everything is operational. there have been magazines published about how much fewer the hardware failures in the ps3 systems happened than the 360 systems (feel free to read this article, even tho its a rather bit old, but it gives you kind of an idea of how bad the hardware failure rate was during the beginning of the "console war": http://gamer.blorge.com/2009/08/18/xbox-360-failure-rate-over-50-percent-ps3-wii-more-reliable/
-free online gaming, however you can become a member of the Plus group for like $15 a year (dont quite me on that figure tho please, just 2 lazy 2 search it up)
-certain games are only available for PS3 & PSN (Playstation Network)
-Sony's network did get hacked, in case you were oblivious to it. However, they corrected the issue & rewarded all their customers who were willing to stay with them free games as well as a 30 day free trail of the Plus program (not valid to new customers of course). I got 2 sweet games because of this malfunction. I do have friends that have the Wii console as well as the Xbox 360 & respect them for their gaming decision.
-Almost forgot, Sony came out with the Playstation Move (which is an idea of Wii's controllers)

Microsoft Xbox 360:
-notoriously known for their RRoD (Red Ring of Death), which is a hardware failure in the video port of the console. this has supposedly been mostly fixed, but there are few reports of newer systems having Red Light of Death (sorry if this isnt the correct term), but still same issue but with different look to the power button.
-system is known for its modifications to the outer casing, not to mention external third party fans installed to help with the cooling of the hardware
-$50 for an online membership every year
-certain games are only 360 exclusive (same for Xbox Live Arcade aka XBLA)
-Microsoft of course has the Kinect. Unlike the Playstation Move, it uses your whole body to move around on the screen without the need for handheld motion detected controllers.

Now im sure that theres a few things that ive either missed or flatout forgotten bout either side, so please dont chew me out bout it, im just simply going based on my memory. However, if you do post something that is painfully obvious that comes standard with the console, then that will be a good right to chew ya out via PM (however I sincerely hope it doesnt have to come to that). Overall, lets respect this person's interest in wanting to understand their choice of which console that they want to go after & NOT start up a stupid flame war on this.

I will say right now that both the PS3 & 360 have always been neck & neck in graphics. Certain games look better on the PS3 than the 360 & vice versa. It really all just depends on which looks better in your own opinion. It is true that most of the gaming industry uses the 360 for the graphics to show off their game, while a select few use the PS3 to show off their game.
The PS3 also has a web browser I don't believe the 360 does. I'd say go for the PS3 over the 360 just because you don't have to pay for online unless you want Playstation +.
 
I don't think I can say anything that will sum it up as brilliantly as Pillar did.

I have a 360, I'm happy with it. If I had a PS3 instead I'm sure I'd be just as happy. The majority of games I like to play are available on both and the biggest difference I can think of is XBLA exclusives versus PSN exclusives, and that's all personal preference.

I do like the 360 controller a little more, but that's just my personal preference, and it's not to say that the PS3 controller is uncomfortable at all.
 
I don't think I can say anything that will sum it up as brilliantly as Pillar did.

^Pretty much covered it all up!!!


I have both and can't be any more Happier, other than when it comes to buying a game and deciding on which platform to buy it for!:biggrin:

I really like the God of war series, Uncharted Series, Infamous, Metal Gear Solid. Those PS exclusives to me personally give PS3 the edge, IMO! If you like those type of games!!!!!!! Online is free is a plus. Web Browser sucks, but its got one!

Only owned an Xbox since Xmas, still getting adjusted to it!

I have played Gears of War3 & Halo Reach on Xbox and to me seem like a waste of my money. I know I'm getting into those series a lil on the late side but it just didn't seem as good as the reviews I've read/heard...

Good luck and enjoy whichever you choose. Either way you will love it and spend many hours on it.

Game On:P
 
Wow guys, thanks for the compliments! I must say, im really humbled & honored by all these positive comments that you guys have said. I guess when you have been playing in the gaming industry as long as I have & have studied the nit-picky differences in the gaming consoles, that kinda info just sticks w/ ya. Now lets hope that this thread stays this cool.
 
Wow guys, thanks for the compliments! I must say, im really humbled & honored by all these positive comments that you guys have said. I guess when you have been playing in the gaming industry as long as I have & have studied the nit-picky differences in the gaming consoles, that kinda info just sticks w/ ya. Now lets hope that this thread stays this cool.

I'm sure I've been in it longer, but your typing skillz and the way with words are amazing! :P
 
Wow pillar. I mean that was impressive! And thanks for all of your input. Any thoughts on the linking Steam accounts to PS3? Is that a factor to consider? I mean I only have 3 games I have purchased on my Steam account. Keep the feedback coming! And thanks for keeping it objective or personal preference instead of attacking the other system. Really appreciate that :)
 
Wow pillar. I mean that was impressive! And thanks for all of your input. Any thoughts on the linking Steam accounts to PS3? Is that a factor to consider? I mean I only have 3 games I have purchased on my Steam account. Keep the feedback coming! And thanks for keeping it objective or personal preference instead of attacking the other system. Really appreciate that :)

Steam on PS3 isn't even a factor worth considering. It only affects Portal 2.
 
I think it depends on what you think each console has to offer, I used to own both (my xbox got a RROD) and I use just my PS3 for now. I bought myself a 3rd party PS3 controller that feels very similar to 360 controller and it makes playing much better then the standard PS3 controllers. I loved both consoles, go with what you feel is the best.
 
Wow pillar. I mean that was impressive! And thanks for all of your input. Any thoughts on the linking Steam accounts to PS3? Is that a factor to consider? I mean I only have 3 games I have purchased on my Steam account. Keep the feedback coming! And thanks for keeping it objective or personal preference instead of attacking the other system. Really appreciate that :)
I think Portal2 is the only game you can link your steam account to.
 
Actually, to counter what pillar said, xbox live is now $60 a year, unless you kept a subscription at 50 a year. Once you stop, its 60. Also RRoD typically doesn't happen if you take care of your console. Both of my 360s are from 2006 and 2007, neither have had any problems, due to good air circulation and cleaning. Also, before I forget, 1st gen PS3 are quite rare these days, since everything after isn't backwards compatible, disc-wise anyway. Sony stopped that so that they could sell older games on PSN. Same with Microsoft. Just getting that info out there :)
 

Latest posts

Back
Top