Choosing another Power Supply

IDigitalDeadI

EGO Addict
Joined
Sep 15, 2009
Messages
1,316
Well its time to move on. Not from eGO:lol:, but from my current power supply. The dumb thing decided to die on me, ironically when I was already looking for one to buy sometime in the future. Currently using a shoddy ePower 500w psu, which is so old, and inefficient, that I can't use my gtx 460 for awhile :(.

Anyway, I've been thinking about getting the Antec Earthwatts EA-650 Green PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044

However, I also thought about having a power supply that will last me a few years, just in case I wanted to SLI/Xfire or something down the line. Nothing too big really, maybe SLI this 460 with another or who knows. At the moment, I see 2 other PSU's that fit my current situation, and would help in the future (if I were to SLI 460s at least):

SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151096

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

I know there are some SeaSonic users out there and Corsair users, and I want your current view on how your power supply performs and how either of these would fare for me. I already know some of the pros and cons for each of them (due to browsing various forums and reading reviews), however I want a response from an actual user from eGO. What would you guys think would be best for me, so that I don't have another fiasco with Raidmax :facewall:

All criticism is appreciated because it helps me become a better consumer.
 
Last edited:
Looks pretty good, but stretching my already non-existent budget pretty thin. I want to keep it sub-$100, but still have good quality. I guess if something blows me out of the water, then i'll adjust.
 
I would suggest the Corsair tx 650w psu. This is the version im using (although it was far less when I originally purchased it): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

One of the major selling points for me on the Corsair was the fact that it has a 5 year warranty on it. That & Newegg's system is amazing when it comes to pulling up receipts to do RMA's. I believe that you will be extremely pleased with the Corsair that you posted. I currently use a GTS450 & havent had an issue w/ using it on this psu.
 
I would suggest the Corsair tx 650w psu. This is the version im using (although it was far less when I originally purchased it): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

One of the major selling points for me on the Corsair was the fact that it has a 5 year warranty on it. That & Newegg's system is amazing when it comes to pulling up receipts to do RMA's. I believe that you will be extremely pleased with the Corsair that you posted. I currently use a GTS450 & havent had an issue w/ using it on this psu.

I guess Version 2 (what I posted) is a cheaper variant? It seems like they're exactly the same, maybe I'm not seeing the difference.
 
No, the V2 is the superior product. It's simply on sale for less than the original TX650 (for some odd reason). They're both comprised of SeaSonic components, but the V2 is noticeably better given the superior make/production of its caps and other internal parts.

You could also take a look at something like this, which is IMHO a slightly better product for about five bucks more right now. It is essentially the same model as both units consist of SeaSonic internals -- if you're trying to stay at or under $100, you can't really go wrong with the Corsair TX650 V2 or the XFX Core PRO650W.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207014

Alternatively, the Earthwatts isn't too terribly shabby, and IIRC that SeaSonic S12II is actually a reiteration of the model that the TX650V2 and PRO650W are based off of and are comprised of almost entirely the same parts.
 
No, the V2 is the superior product. It's simply on sale for less than the original TX650 (for some odd reason). They're both comprised of SeaSonic components, but the V2 is noticeably better given the superior make/production of its caps and other internal parts.

You could also take a look at something like this, which is IMHO a slightly better product for about five bucks more right now. It is essentially the same model as both units consist of SeaSonic internals -- if you're trying to stay at or under $100, you can't really go wrong with the Corsair TX650 V2 or the XFX Core PRO650W.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207014

Alternatively, the Earthwatts isn't too terribly shabby, and IIRC that SeaSonic S12II is actually a reiteration of the model that the TX650V2 and PRO650W are based off of and are comprised of almost entirely the same parts.

wow I didn't even notice it was on sale. Well that clears up that issue. The XFX looks pretty good as well, but I've heard polarized options about XFX outside of video cards. It seems that people hate or love XFX's products, and there's no middle ground. I've even read a few bad reviews from smaller sites, but not too many. I'll take it into consideration, especially since it has extra 6+2 pin cables. Then I wouldn't have to risk using molex 4 pin cables.
 
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...roduct_info&cPath=1078_1079&products_id=27001

Use coupon code: MEMDAY12-5 for an extra $3 off.

Great deal with no rebate. It is not modular as the title says, not even partly. The M12D is semi modular, but the S12D is not, but neither are the other psus in your price range. This is higher efficiency, higher wattage, more pci-e connectors, and cheaper.

Its sold out unfortunately. Wish I saw a good deal like that when they had some in stock.
 
Ah, that sucks. It was in stock at the time of posting. I was considering getting one myself even though I currently have no need for it. Maybe it will come back.

If not, then the corsair seems like the best buy for the price given the current sale.
 
I'm showing it as in stock

edit: refreshed, and its out again haha
 
So this is my 2 zinc coins on this situation: If I needed a psu to replace my current broken down unit, I would definitely go with the Corsair for 3 reasons:
#1 Price (a lil less exp than the XFX psu)
#2 s&h (nothin beats free s&h, except for waiting for your purchase to come in)
#3 is the ratings (Corsair has more & higher ratings than the others).

Mind you that the reasons werent really specifically in order (even tho I usually check out the ratings first when it comes to a line-up of products). Im not trying to intentionally sell ya on this bad boy of a psu, just simply givin ya my honest opinion on it. Whatever you choose will easily be better than your current psu (thats 4 dang sho)!
 
I'm showing it as in stock

edit: refreshed, and its out again haha
I was actually watching it for a few minutes, went out of stock so fast, there was no way I could purchase it, unless I knew it was going back in stock beforehand.

So this is my 2 zinc coins on this situation: If I needed a psu to replace my current broken down unit, I would definitely go with the Corsair for 3 reasons:
#1 Price (a lil less exp than the XFX psu)
#2 s&h (nothin beats free s&h, except for waiting for your purchase to come in)
#3 is the ratings (Corsair has more & higher ratings than the others).

Mind you that the reasons werent really specifically in order (even tho I usually check out the ratings first when it comes to a line-up of products). Im not trying to intentionally sell ya on this bad boy of a psu, just simply givin ya my honest opinion on it. Whatever you choose will easily be better than your current psu (thats 4 dang sho)!

Honest opinions are what I want to hear, and yeah anything would be better than this. So many outdated and useless plugs, why would I need 5 floppy drives? :lol:
 
The TX650V2 is probably the best unit posted so far. That being said, there is simply nothing wrong with the others. I might go with the Antec Earthwatts just for price.
 
Don't worry about it. At this point, two generations later you'd probably get better bang for your buck out of a new card instead of SLI 460s. If you decide to stick with a single GPU, it also means you can get a lower wattage PSU which means saving some money while still getting quality.
 
Don't worry about it. At this point, two generations later you'd probably get better bang for your buck out of a new card instead of SLI 460s. If you decide to stick with a single GPU, it also means you can get a lower wattage PSU which means saving some money while still getting quality.

I only used it as an example because I knew its power draw at full load. I'd need a power supply that would be able to do that, just in case something would happen to my card. By then, 460s should be incredibly cheap, and adding another would be a nice boost in performance. For now I'm thinking about getting a 670 or 660, once I see it released and tested. Like I said, if the card I get has a fault and I'm not able to use it for some time, I'll be able to buy another 460 while waiting and not lose too much in the performance department. Then I'll have 2 cards as backup.
 
If you do, make sure you get a compatible 460. There are 4 different versions and none of them can sli together (and I am not talking about 1gb vs 2gb models).
 

Latest posts

Back
Top