Upgrading my graphics card

mcxphoenix

Active Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2012
Messages
284
I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card to a midrange card. Currently have a ASUS ENGT 240 and it can't really do gaming very well. I'm looking at this: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-Radeon-DisplayPort-PCI-Express-GV-R685OC-1GD/dp/B004F6GJAU/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1339296076&sr=8-9[/ame]
AKA the Gigabyte Radeon 6850. The reviews look good, I have had friend recommendations of it, and it's well in my price range. What are your opinions?
If there's something better I can get for less then $175, I would rather have that.

Thanks!
 
Nvidia's cards just cant compare to Radeons with whats out right now. instead of a 6850, go with a GTX480 or 550ti, plays bf3 everything high decently smooth, as for other games, MAX. extra 50$ for a GTX560 2gb SuperClocked is what i have, plays bf3 ultra/high, 60fps.

hope this helps. Also, look up graphic comparison at tomshardware.com
 
Nvidia's cards just cant compare to Radeons with whats out right now. instead of a 6850, go with a GTX480 or 550ti, plays bf3 everything high decently smooth, as for other games, MAX. extra 50$ for a GTX560 2gb SuperClocked is what i have, plays bf3 ultra/high, 60fps.

hope this helps. Also, look up graphic comparison at tomshardware.com

Huh? I am not sure how this relates to anything. A 550 Ti is terrible? Do you mean 560 Ti? Not to mention, the 480 and 560 2gb are outside of the price range he gave.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162084

This is probably the best bang/buck you will get atm looking through newegg real quick. 6870 and gtx 560 are roughly the same, and both are about at the $175 mark. This one seems to be on a decent sale, so that would be my current recommendation, though a 6850 is a great card as well.
 
Lol? What? 550ti plays bf3 smooth on all high. Mw3 max, skyrim almost max. And then you say the 480 and 560 or out of the price range before you go right ahead and suggest a 560...

If I am unintentionally angering someone because I am trying to give good advice then let me know and I won't be near these tech forums, sheesh.
 
Ended up going with a XFX Radeon 6870 based on improved performance and a hefty $30 rebate. Thanks for your opinions.
 
Not a bad choice at all.

And nocturnal, a 550 Ti is on average about 30% worse than a 6850 at 1080p. In BF3 alone it is over 15% behind a 6850, and bf3 is a nvidia favored game. So why are you recommending an inferior card? And I don't know why you keep bringing bf3 up. It is not the only game out there.

And let me educate you a little more in the graphics card world. Read what I said, a 560 2GB is out of the price range. Not a standard 560 1GB which is what I recommended. Non reference cards like that always draw a price premium. If you could do a newegg search, you would find the cheapest 2gb model is $190 which is greater than the established budget of $175.

You are angering know one. You are simply misinformed and giving bad advice. Someone needs to correct this misinformation. No one is out to get ya bra on the interwebz.
 
Last edited:
Yes the 550ti was a little soft, not by much tho. A 560 1gb is maybe 20 less than a 2gb...if that's a big deal then shoot me down. And yes you are getting angered, you gotta relax. And bf3 is used as a benchmark..a very very good one at that. Take care.
 
I think you are a little off in your math. It is $30 less than the 2gb model, or $45 less after rebate. Shot down.

I don't know why you keep saying I am angry when I am calmly telling you the facts (it must be all those exclamation points and all caps I got going on). BF3 is one game that is very nvidia favored so it is not the best benchmark when comparing amd and nvidia cards unless you are a fanboy.

Take care.
 
There is more than one site selling video cards good sir, so many different variations of each model. Tigerdirect you can find them cards I've been refering to. Cheeeeeeeeeeeel
 
190 for the SC edition? Isn't that what you suggested? Its 15$ more and I didn't realize we can't wait for the rebate money, like 30 really matters when its the most important part of the system...keep it real.
 
I do not understand what you are saying. Let me make it easy.

The one I linked to which is a 1gb 560 is $160 or $145 after rebate at both tigerdirect and newegg.

A 2gb zotac gtx 560 is $190 with no rebate at newegg. A 2gb gtx 560 galaxy is $190 after rebate at tigerdirect. Either way, your math is wrong. Post some links next time to back up your claims.

Bra, we always keepin it real. Someone has to.
 
Guys, if you are going to "call each other out" like this, please do it through private messages. We don't need this in the open forums for everyone to read. People come here looking for assistance with Tech related issues, not who's graphics card is bigger. Everyone has their opinions on what piece of equipment is better. We should respect each others opinions regardless of feelings and help the members out.
 
I'm going to have to side with huckleberry on this. I've been looking various sites, and I can't find as good of a deal as that, unless you drop down to a 460. Normally I'd say get a 460 and overclock it, but since most sites are phasing them out, there aren't too many options left. The only cards newegg have left are the 192-bit variants, which can't keep up with the 256-bit 560 non-ti at the same speeds. Sure the difference is small, but the 460 has to be overclocked up to that point anyway, or the 560 down.

I suggest getting the Galaxy 560 non-ti, my 460 (256-bit luckily) is overclocked to a bit faster than those speeds and it runs BF3 pretty well, among other games. Regardless of what's chosen, it will definitely be better than what you're using right now lol.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top