Suggestions for new PC?

pickles

Thread Junky
Joined
Dec 29, 2008
Messages
787
Might be purchasing a new PC in the near future, so I got a head start on picking parts. Some parts I can take from this one (HDD's), but most will be new. My goal price-wise is to get as close to $1000 as I can.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($238.99)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.99)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($149.99)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($101.85)
Video Card: Two XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card ($154.99 x 2 = $308.98)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98)
PSU: OCZ 700W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($44.99)
Audio Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Series PCI Express Sound Card ($130.00)

Total: $1135.77

I have a feeling I don't need 2 video cards. What advantages are their to dual video cards? Is there anything that I should have/don't need/should change? Thanks again for any input!
 
Not bad at all! This is the critique I'd offer with the total you're at now in mind:

*That CPU and its cooler are great choices.

*Awesome motherboard. That's the one I will be ordering in July

*Why 16GB of RAM? I'd recommend cutting it down to 8GB if you aren't extensively editing and whatnot; maybe one 8GB stick of this since it's cheaper and will perform better, though those gskills are not a bad choice (holy crap these are in STOCK now!) : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147096

(even if you do need 16GB, I'd recommend two 8GB sticks of that)

*The advantage to dual GPUs include things like better FPS (typically by quite a lot depending on how well they scale on your mobo, in-game etc.) and better support for multiple or large monitors. In your case though, I would probably put aside the soundcard -- the onboard audio for that mobo is fantastic, according to reviews -- and get one beefy GPU. Might I recommend a Gigabye, ASUS or EVGA GTX 670 for $400 instead of dual 6870s and a soundcard? ;o

*pretty okay case IMHO, but I think you might be able to squeeze in better if you cut the soundcard out of the build and halve your total RAM. You could also keep that case and put the money towards a boss-like PSU. Speaking of:

*Not sold on that PSU. It's not terrible, per se, but I feel you're overshooting for dual 6870s (if you stick to that) or a single GTX 670. Maybe one of these will fit your fancy?:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207014

The above is assuming you're ordering off NewEgg.com though... if you're ordering a prebuilt that changes things a round a bit.
 
Wow, thanks for all the awesome feedback!

*Why 16GB of RAM? I'd recommend cutting it down to 8GB if you aren't extensively editing and whatnot; maybe one 8GB stick of this since it's cheaper and will perform better, though those gskills are not a bad choice (holy crap these are in STOCK now!) : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147096

(even if you do need 16GB, I'd recommend two 8GB sticks of that)

I'm not really sure about how much RAM I need, so yes, it might be a good idea to chop it down.

*The advantage to dual GPUs include things like better FPS (typically by quite a lot depending on how well they scale on your mobo, in-game etc.) and better support for multiple or large monitors. In your case though, I would probably put aside the soundcard -- the onboard audio for that mobo is fantastic, according to reviews -- and get one beefy GPU. Might I recommend a Gigabye, ASUS or EVGA GTX 670 for $400 instead of dual 6870s and a soundcard? ;o

I do have two monitors currently (if that makes any difference), but I only run games on one for a few reasons (mostly because they're different sizes). If I don't need the second card then should I get a better single card? Ideally I'd like to run my current set of games (CS:S, TF2, DoD:S, Minecraft) as well as new games (BF3 mainly), on high or max.

The reason I need a sound card is mainly because of FL Studio. It does work without one, but in order to be able to have other sound playing, it needs to got out on another source. I'm using a work around right now, so it does work however. Basically it doesn't need to be included, but it would be nice to have it! :)

*pretty okay case IMHO, but I think you might be able to squeeze in better if you cut the soundcard out of the build and halve your total RAM. You could also keep that case and put the money towards a boss-like PSU. Speaking of:

Yeah I was looking for a cheap (but nice looking!) case, as it won't be on display. Do you have any recommendations for another case?

*Not sold on that PSU. It's not terrible, per se, but I feel you're overshooting for dual 6870s (if you stick to that) or a single GTX 670. Maybe one of these will fit your fancy?:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151088
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151087
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139020
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817207014

Lastly the PSU. I don't know anything about PSUs, so in your opinion do you think I should get something less powerful? I was also looking around and a modular one would be preferred.

The above is assuming you're ordering off NewEgg.com though... if you're ordering a prebuilt that changes things a round a bit.

I don't think I'll be ordering of NewEgg, but it definitely won't be prebuilt. I'll probably be ordering from NCIX, as they have stores local and the faster (and cheaper, no shipping!) I can get it, the better.

Again thanks for the help!
 
8GB is plenty of ram as runo has said.

2 cards are not needed to run 2 monitors. The benefit of 2 cards is you can usually add to a single card later on down the road to give yourself added performance. It does not scale perfectly (so if you get 30 fps with 1 card, you won't get 60 fps with 2 usually). Most of the time, the scaling is probably about 80%. It can go up to 90% in some games, but it is almost never perfect.

For the games you said which are weak plus BF3, the gtx 670 is a great choice. Single card solutions are easier to work with and this will give a better visual experience as well. It will also use less power which is nice. BF3 is a nvidia favored game, so a single gtx 670 will actually beat 2 6870s. In other games, the 6870s might win, but the actual visual performance could be worse due to micro stuttering.

In summary, the gtx 670 is a great recommendation, so go for it. You can run 2 monitors off of it easy enough as well.

For the case, 302 is not a bad option. Another popular case for slightly cheaper is the haf 912.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233&Tpk=haf 912

Another version of this case is the 922 which comes with some extra goodies such as additional fans. I am not a huge fan of the looks of the case. I actually prefer the simplistic look of the antec. An additional solid choice would be this corsair case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139011

They make some excellent looking cases imo, though this is the cheapest one they offer. The next step up would be this one for corsair:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139008

Case is really personal preference, so it is obviously up to you. If none of these interest you, look through newegg and find someones that interest you and post here for opinions as well as look for reviews on tech sites.

For PSU, I definitely agree with runo. It is not that you need a more powerful unit, it is that you need a unit of higher quality. Wattage is often not the most important thing. A 700W OCZ power supply is going to be worse than a quality corsair or seasonic unit like runo has linked. I think going with a corsair tx unit is a pretty good option. Great quality at a decent price. You may want to look at the tx750 to ensure you have plenty of power for future upgrades such as an additional gpu. It is also nice since it has 4 pcie connectors so you do not need any adapters if you end up getting a second card.
 
If you are absolutely set on buying a sound card, just get the Asus Xonar DX for quite a bit less than that sound card.

As for the rest of the build, Runo has you covered.
 
^what Huck and Phobus mentioned!

I'm not really sure about how much RAM I need, so yes, it might be a good idea to chop it down.

I think this'd be a good call. Get those 8GB Samsung sticks I linked and you'll blow away multiple apps, processes and whatnot with ease. I don't believe most music/music-editing programs are very intensive on a PC so you shouldn't have to go higher than eight.

I do have two monitors currently (if that makes any difference), but I only run games on one for a few reasons (mostly because they're different sizes). If I don't need the second card then should I get a better single card? Ideally I'd like to run my current set of games (CS:S, TF2, DoD:S, Minecraft) as well as new games (BF3 mainly), on high or max.

Nah, dual monitors shouldn't make a lick of difference, man. The GTX 670 packs plenty of power and will easily nuke crossfire 6870s from orbit; one 670 is enough that my jaw will be on the floor if you're not maxing out pretty much any game you throw at it even at the highest resolution you can go -- even while running plenty of processes in the background on your other monitor!

The reason I need a sound card is mainly because of FL Studio. It does work without one, but in order to be able to have other sound playing, it needs to got out on another source. I'm using a work around right now, so it does work however. Basically it doesn't need to be included, but it would be nice to have it! :)

I do a little muzak-ing too so I can understand why you might require some sort of sound card for that scenario, but the one Phobus recommended is a billion times more cost-efficient for the purpose you intend to use it for IMHO! Motherboard audio has only gotten better as time and technology have progressed and I dare say that a sound card is more like icing than a cake on its own.


I wonder though, is sound quality important for your work or could you get away with buying a dirt-cheap soundcard as long as it acts as a second output?

Yeah I was looking for a cheap (but nice looking!) case, as it won't be on display. Do you have any recommendations for another case?

Gonna back Huck's case recommendations here. If you don't mind a simpler design, Lian-Li makes rather badass cases that are not only sleek and sexy, but pack a lot of features for the price. Maybe a bit more than you were intending to pay, and if so, go for one of those Corsair Carbides or your original Antec (again, not a bad choice at all, I just prefer the other choices IMHO) ...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112099

Lastly the PSU. I don't know anything about PSUs, so in your opinion do you think I should get something less powerful? I was also looking around and a modular one would be preferred.

Huck made an excellent point -- it's not really that you want LESS power, it's that you want a more reliable unit. The easy version is that the unit you'd posted isn't comprised of the best parts, so it might SAY it gets 700w but those internal components are going to either mean it gets a lot less, or doesn't power them very well or very safely. I daresay the PSU is the most important component in the foundation of any PC, so it's better to spend a little more and be safe rather than sorry. ;>

If you want to stick to that price range then the Corsair TXV2 650w or 750w versions will be AWESOME for your setup. However, you could go the extra mile and grab this off NewEgg while it's on sale and pair it with the parts you pick up locally: this SeaSonic X750 is on sale for $120, shipped, and is probably the best deal in the power supply department on NewEgg at the time of this post.

For reference, I'd bought one step down from that unit -- the X650 -- for $150 at the time of purchase and I have never suffered a single power problem with my rig. The X750 is the same quality brand, same incredible warranty, features outstanding architeture internals and happens to be fully modular as per your request ... so if you CAN fit this into your budget, I wholly recommend grabbing it while it's in-stock!


I don't think I'll be ordering of NewEgg, but it definitely won't be prebuilt. I'll probably be ordering from NCIX, as they have stores local and the faster (and cheaper, no shipping!) I can get it, the better.

Again thanks for the help!

Good call -- and no problem, man! Make sure you grab some before/during/after pics of the rig when you get this beast goin'. :>
 
runo gives some more excellent advice.

2GB vram for future proofing is another plus imo for going with the gtx 670. Not really needed right now at 1080p or lower resolutions, but games are using more such as bf3.

Lian Li does make some simplistic cases that are awesome. I currently use a PC-P50 myself. Unfortunately, for an all aluminum case at the lowest price, they have to make some cuts as far as design. They have some steel/aluminum cases with slightly better internal designs imo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112354
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112337
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112346

Only real plus of it being aluminum is the reduced weight. However, this not really a problem if you don't move your tower around often.

Another great set of sleek cases is by Fractal Design.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352010

This is there cheapest option. Next step up would be here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352007

All of these cases are pretty comparable feature wise. All should be great choices.



As for PSU, that deal on the x750 is amazing. Definitely would pay the $10 extra over the tx750 and forgo the $10 MIR to get it. That is as good as it gets.
 
Thanks again for the tons and tons of information!

So from what I've read, I should scrap the 2 6870s and replace it with a single GTX 670.

I wonder though, is sound quality important for your work or could you get away with buying a dirt-cheap soundcard as long as it acts as a second output?

Nope, I should be fine with a cheap sound card; all I need it that second output. Is the Asus Xonar DX good for what I need it for or is there a better card for my needs?

I can scale the RAM down the 8GB instead of 16GB, as your probably right, I don't need it. For the PSU, I'm a little confused. Do I need 750W or is 650W fine? Sorry if you have to repeat yourself!

Lastly I think I'm pretty sold on the case, I like the look of it and it's not too expensive. I just really like it! :P

Below should be the updated specs based on your guys recommendations:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($419.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($130.49 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Other: ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCI Express x1 Interface Sound Card

Total: $1073.42
 
The Xonar DX is pretty much the best sound card for the money. Sure, there are better cards out there, but DX packs a good quality to price ratio.

About the PSU: are you going to be getting a second 670? If the answer is no, you could probably get away with a 550W, assuming it has all the leads you need.

The build looks good. Well, aside from the case, but that's just my personal preference saying it's bad lol.
 
Yeah, a 750W would pretty much be a future proof so you don't need to upgrade it again. You can get away with less wattage for a single card, but if there is a chance in the future for dual cards, a little more power now would be the wiser move.
 
The Xonar DX is pretty much the best sound card for the money. Sure, there are better cards out there, but DX packs a good quality to price ratio.

About the PSU: are you going to be getting a second 670? If the answer is no, you could probably get away with a 550W, assuming it has all the leads you need.

The build looks good. Well, aside from the case, but that's just my personal preference saying it's bad lol.

I don't think I'll ever get a second card. I don't think I'll need it. Plus I don't feel comfortable spending $800 on GPUs.

What do you suggest for the case then? The 302 looks so good! :P

Yeah, a 750W would pretty much be a future proof so you don't need to upgrade it again. You can get away with less wattage for a single card, but if there is a chance in the future for dual cards, a little more power now would be the wiser move.

I won't be getting a second card, but what about cutting it in half and going with 650W? Would that be enough for the future if I add anything (not a second GPU)?
 

Latest posts

Back
Top