Need a dual purpose laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneme2

Active Member
Joined
May 31, 2010
Messages
253
I am getting ready to start college. I need a new laptop. I would like a laptop that has a good graphics card for gaming, a fast processor, a decent amount of ram, and a good amount of hard drive space.

However, this laptop also needs to be able to run the various programs I will need throughout school, such as all the Microsoft programs, various accounting programs, and anything else the school might require.

Basically I want something I can play all my games on with a good FPS, and still be able to use the laptop for a purpose other than gaming. (Would like to have Windows 7 ultimate, not the trial version, will need all the programs)

My price limit is 1,500.00

I have no background in computer building, so it has to be something I can order to spec, or something that is pre-built. (No Alienware, or Macs please please)

The games I play are:

Day of Defeat Source
Counter Strike Source
Team Fortress 2
Killing Floor
Left 4 dead 2
Left 4 dead 1

As you can see I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I would like to get at least 100 fps (constantly without dropping) on these games. Right now I average around 15-25 on my current laptop.

-Thanks.
 
Last edited:
A good line to look at would be the Asus Republic of Gamers laptop series.
 
Unless you're doing coding or graphics programming for school, any gaming laptop would suffice for us accountants. I haven't seen an accounting program that would overwhelm a gaming PC.
 
What do you guys think of this?

REVIEW MY SUMMARY
Congratulations! You have finished personalizing!
We have some recommendations for you highlighted below.
Software & Services
PROCESSOR 2nd Generation Intel? Core™ i5-2450M processor (2.50 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.10 GHz) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows? 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English edit
OFFICE SOFTWARE Microsoft? Office Home and Student 2010 edit
MEMORY 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 1333MHz edit
HARD DRIVE 750GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive edit
VIDEO CARD NVIDIA? GeForce? GT 540M 2GB graphics with Optimus edit
HD DISPLAY 15.6" HD (1366x768) Truelife WLED Display with Skype-Certified 2.0MP HD Webcam edit
INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE 8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive) edit
3G/4G MOBILE BROADBAND No Mobile Broad Band Selected edit
BATTERY OPTIONS 9 Cell (90 WHr) Battery edit
SOUND OPTIONS JBL 2.1 Speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3 edit
Personalize
PROTECTION 1 Year Premium Protection Package - America's Best Standard Protection edit


This software will be delivered from the internet.
Broadband connection recommended.Learn More
MCAFEE SECURITYCENTER McAfee? SecurityCenter, 15-Months edit

Dell Recommends
Help protect against viruses, hackers, identity theft, and more from the moment you turn on your PC.
Upgrade to McAfee? SecurityCenter, 36-Months [Add $50.00 $35.00 or $1.00/month1]
OS RECOVERY MEDIA Genuine Windows? 7 Home Premium OS, 64bit, English, Recovery DVD edit
IDENTITY THEFT PROTECTION Trusted ID,IDSafe, 12 Month Subscription, Digital Delivery edit


This software will be delivered from the internet.
Broadband connection recommended.Learn More
My Accessories
PRINTERS Dell V725w Wireless All In One Inkjet edit
SERVICE & SUPPORT 1 Year Limited Warranty and 1 Year Advanced Exchange Service edit
Dell V725w Wireless All In One Inkjet Printer Dell V725w Wireless AIO Inkjet Printer edit
BAGS & MICE Logitech Wireless Mouse M525 – Black edit
WIRELESS + BLUETOOTH Intel? Centrino? Wireless-N 1030 & Bluetooth 3.0 edit
COLORS Elemental Silver Aluminum edit
KEYBOARD Backlit Keyboard - English edit
ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
XPS 15 XPS 15
INTEGRATED NETWORK ADAPTER Integrated 10/100/1000 Network Card
ADOBE & ENTERTAINMENT Adobe? Acrobat? Reader
DATASAFE DataSafe 2.0 Online Backup 2GB for 1 year

Dell Recommends
Add Datasafe
Protect your data and easily restore by backing up to a safe, remote storage site.
Upgrade to Dell Digital Delivery Online Backup 5GB for 1 year [Add $10.00]


1,370 before taxes. It's a dell XPS 15
 
540m is kind an ok card. You won't be running anything on high or med settings (If it is a newer game) unless you tweek the settings around a bit.

Another thing to worry about is lugging the thing around. I did not see a weight listed for the one you posted so that might be an issue lugging it from class to class.

Also see as how you want to use this for accounting. I would make sure that the laptop you pick has a full keyboard with numpad.
 
Visit HP's website. They always give you the most cost effective laptops/computers, or at least that's what I have noticed. You get the most bang for your buck with HP, as companies such as dell tend to be more expensive for the same product.
 
How about this Shane? OR check out the Asus G74SX-BBK8 referred to here
 
Last edited:
I saw this come through my youtube box a while back that you may want to check out
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfdDG9p5RP4[/ame]
 
540m is kind an ok card. You won't be running anything on high or med settings (If it is a newer game) unless you tweek the settings around a bit.

Another thing to worry about is lugging the thing around. I did not see a weight listed for the one you posted so that might be an issue lugging it from class to class.

Also see as how you want to use this for accounting. I would make sure that the laptop you pick has a full keyboard with numpad.

What about this build with an XPS 17? It's roughly 200 more, but that's alright.

PROCESSOR 2nd Generation Intel? Core™ i5-2450M processor (2.50 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.10 GHz) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Windows? 7 Home Premium, 64-Bit, English edit
OFFICE SOFTWARE Microsoft? Office Home and Student 2010 edit
MEMORY 8GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory edit
HARD DRIVE 750GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive edit
VIDEO CARD NVIDIA? GeForce? GT 555M 3GB graphics with Optimus edit
HD DISPLAY 17.3" HD+ (900p) LED Display with 2.0MP HD Webcam edit
INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE 8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive) edit
BATTERY OPTIONS 90 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery edit
SOUND OPTIONS JBL 2.1 Speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3 + Creative SoundBlaster X-FI MB 1.2
 
^ With tax it ends up being 1,635.00


Cant see paying 300 bucks more for a better graphics card. I wont be playing hardly any new games. If I do they will be strategy like Civ 5 or one of the new total wars that comes out.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top