Mouse not responding and PC fails to turn off

Dobbeh

Famous
Joined
Jun 16, 2009
Messages
513
A couple of days ago I noticed my mouse (Logitech M505 wireless) was becoming unresponsive, so I changed the batteries as normal. The problem is, this failed to remedy it.
Went out and bought a wired Microsoft mouse (USB), plugged in, uninstalled the old Logitech drivers and installed the Microsoft one. Still failed to work.

The mouse doesn't appear under the HID in the device manager and Vista doesn't recognise the device when plugged in. I also tried to un-install all devices and install again. Still didn't work.

Tried several system restores and even returned it to factory settings (lost everything and drivers too). Installed it all again, yet still fails to work, though the sound of a USB device being plugged in and then out keeps playing.

Plugging in other USB devices (storage etc) works no problem, so there isn't an issue with the ports.

ALSO

During all this, I noticed the PC fails to turn off correctly. The screen goes blank as if no power is present, yet the LED fans around the case (including that on the CPU) are still on.

Any advice on trying to fix any of these would be brilliant. Almost lobbed the b****y thing out the window in frustration.
 
Sounds like some sort of malware to be honest.

When's the last time you've ran a complete scan? Virus, spyware, malware, etc.
 
I'm not sure of your Tech Level but there are a few steps I would try.

First I would look at my Motherboard Headers and be sure all wires are still plugged in snugly. If you don't have documentation for your motherboard then I'd suggest doing a Google search of the Model # to try and find a diagram. If you can trace a group of wires from the front of your case to the motherboard that's probably the headers. It'll be a bunch of tiny female connectors plugged into a group of males.

Second I would question my power supply, since I assume you have case fans and LED lights connected into a molex off the PSU.
 
I'm not sure of your Tech Level but there are a few steps I would try.

First I would look at my Motherboard Headers and be sure all wires are still plugged in snugly. If you don't have documentation for your motherboard then I'd suggest doing a Google search of the Model # to try and find a diagram. If you can trace a group of wires from the front of your case to the motherboard that's probably the headers. It'll be a bunch of tiny female connectors plugged into a group of males.

Second I would question my power supply, since I assume you have case fans and LED lights connected into a molex off the PSU.

My tech level is not that great. I had some difficulty even trying to restore the PC.

And yes they are connected to the PSU.

Gonna call my loses and take it down to the shop for repair.

Also, I have scanned for malware etc, no trace with two different scanners.
 
My tech level is not that great. I had some difficulty even trying to restore the PC.

And yes they are connected to the PSU.

Gonna call my loses and take it down to the shop for repair.

Also, I have scanned for malware etc, no trace with two different scanners.

Before you spend the money I'd recommend switching to a different wall outlet. Never know if your wall plug is going bad. :P Could be a cheap fix.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top