Opinions on my new rig

Horsepucky2

Poster
Joined
Jul 2, 2012
Messages
108
I've started building my new computer and I thought I would see what you people think of my picks. This is a hoby to me and I don't expect to finish it much before xmas because of the dollar value .

HAVE
CASE
Mountain Mods Ascension Extended Br Alum W/HPTX 10 PCI slot
for possible SR2 upgrade in the future. (Colours to be determined)
Asus Rampage 4 extreme
Intel 3690x
64 GB Corsair Dominator 1600 MHZ ram
3 - XSPC 120mm x 480 mm rads
1 - XSPC 120mm x 240 mm rad
24 - Enermax TB Silent 500-1500 14db 45 cfm fans
4- -Aero Cool Touch 2000 Fan controllers W/ temp sens.
2- EK Dual Pump Dual outlet pump tops W/ 4 150 mm Res.
4 - Swiftech MCP 655 variable speed pumps
3- Dell U2410 Monitors
1 Corsair AX 1200 Power supply (may need anothe for quad sli)
Assortment of chrome compression fittings

NEED
4- EVGA 680 GTX Hydro Copper Video cards
2 Intel 520 x240 GB SSD
Mobo , proc,ram, water blocks to be decided on soon
Over kill I know
This will be a 4 loop rig and I am using 1/2 od chromed copper tubing , I've been using Paracord for the wire sleeving and so far I am very happy with the results (no shrink tube).Over kill I know but I've wanted to build a monster for years.
Opinions and sugestions are always welcome :blink:
 
Wow, I like your hobby. Definitely seems overkill, but that is okay. The actual amount of rads seems overkill as well for the heat produced by the system with the newer tech producing less heat and requiring less power. Do you have the AX1200 already? If not, you could look at the LEPA G1600 though it only has 3 year warranty. Beyond that, I would probably get the Antec HCP 1200W unit or the Seasonic 1250W Gold unit over the AX1200 since with that power draw, I would want a multiple rail unit over a single rail unit like the ax1200.

It probably won't be a problem with all of your pumping power, but from what I have seen in the past, the hydro coppers aren't the best blocks and can be quite restrictive. I assume there are better options you could fit yourself, though obviously the work of replacing four ref coolers with water blocks doesn't sound appealing. And given you can afford all this stuff to begin with, the slight price premium isn't a huge concern either.

And as far as upgrading to the SR2 in the future possibly, I assume you know that currently none of the xeons are unlocked so overclocking is a no go with those.

Look forward to seeing this beast come together! Definitely need a build log on here.
 
My budy has 2 590 Hydro's and once we redid the water blocks the cooling was really good (I believe EVGA uses Koolance blocks) In my case I will have 2 680's on 1 480 rad ,proc and southbridge on another and ram and mosfets on the 240 rad . I picked the size and style of rads to avoide the need for high static capable fans , relacing reference coolers is easy to do ,I've done several already . I researched several power supplys and the ax 1200 has gotten exellent reviews under all loads and situations but I will look at the ones that you mentioned ,I have an Antec Signature 850 W in this rig and am very happy with it too.
 
I think EVGA uses swiftech blocks. And from what you said in the followup, it sounds like you are only using 2x480 rads, not 3x480 as you initially said. In that case, 2x480 and 1x240 sounds like it would be more fitting. One thing I would personally skip is the water cooling on the ram. No real reason to water cool that component. Simply adds restriction to your loop with little real world benefit.

For fans, scythe gentle typhoon ap 15s are great mid speed fans for rads that have great air flow and static pressure to noise output in case you hadn't decided on fans yet.

As for the psu, the corsair is a great power supply and has received excellent reviews. However, the single rail is the only potential problem, though not a huge one with a quality psu like the ax1200.
 
I think EVGA uses swiftech blocks. And from what you said in the followup, it sounds like you are only using 2x480 rads, not 3x480 as you initially said. In that case, 2x480 and 1x240 sounds like it would be more fitting. One thing I would personally skip is the water cooling on the ram. No real reason to water cool that component. Simply adds restriction to your loop with little real world benefit.

For fans, scythe gentle typhoon ap 15s are great mid speed fans for rads that have great air flow and static pressure to noise output in case you hadn't decided on fans yet.

As for the psu, the corsair is a great power supply and has received excellent reviews. However, the single rail is the only potential problem, though not a huge one with a quality psu like the ax1200.

I will be using all 3 480 rads ,2 vid cards per rad =2 rads ,proc and southbridge on the third and ram and mosfets on the 240. I agree that ram cooling probably isn't necesary but hey its MY toy lol . I piced these rads because of the 8 fins per inch so I san use low static fans , I've bought the Enermax fans already 500 to 1500 rpm ,45 cfm @ 8 to 14 db ,I've had all the fans mounted and running on the rads in the case and airflow/noise is good.(time will tell about cooling performance)
I am thinking that I will probably buy reference 680's and buy full coverage waterblocks to match the rest of my waterblocks.
 
Your build makes mine look like a netbook ;_;

I have a very understanding wife is the only reason I can build this.(she just spent 6K on a sewing machine) My budy of course has to build what ever I build even though he doesn't game or anything.although he's spending $800 bucks on paint alone.????? This is starting out to be a fun project .
 

Latest posts

Back
Top