Top 5 must under(or over) rated games?

CroutonsofDeath{RD}

Thread Thumper
Joined
Jan 2, 2007
Messages
1,067
Give a top 5 list on the games you think are most under (or over)rated by press and communities. I guess the term 'forgotten gem' can count too. If you can, give reasons why, like I have.


Underrated:

1. Postal 2 [PC] Sure, the controversy has brought this game hype, but it's poor programming and lack of a total 'plot' has garnered it some of the worst reviews. I however, see it as a fun game that releases stress and provides video game politics satire mixed potently with dark humour. Is it well programmed? No. Does it look good? No. Is it fun? Hell yea.

2. Blood [PC] It got decent reviews, but it never picked up. This maddeningly frantic tribute to Evil Dead and Army Of Darkness is a great mix of funny but black as night humour, as well as some of the most over the top gore of any game, even today. The company that made Blood has, however, become well known today for games such as F.E.A.R., Condemned, and Aliens Vs. Predator 2

3. XIII[PC] The style was awesome, the story was cool, and even if the AI wasn't quite up to par, this game was fun to play because of it's comic book styling, and it provided fun level design and online maps, even if they were only put to deathmatch use

4. Typing of The Dead [PC/DC] I was never a fan of the 'House of the dead' light gun series, or any light gun game for that matter, but this game somehow makes House of the Dead 2 fun. The acting and graphics are still horrible, but especially for people who type high averages like I do, it can be fun and challenging to crank it up and blast zombies with some of the most bizarre and funny excuses for English Sentences ever. Or you can take a lower difficulty and type at your leisure.

5. System Shock 2 [PC/DC (DC version canceled)] What 'underrated' games list would be complete without System Shock 2? It was once again a game that got great reviews and a following, but never picked up in sales or a huge huge audience. It's mix of RPG, FPS, Horror and Sci-fi made one of the most compelling games of it's time, and it's still a fresh multi-genre game that doesn't fall apart with short-handed aspects that could have been great, as many ambitious games do.

OVERRATED

1. Halo 1/2/3 [X-box, PC, X-box 360] Although I feel Halo is one of the most overrated FPS games in recent times, I'm not saying I hate it. I simply feel that despite competent multiplayer and a nice sci-fi setting, it is a mostly mediocre shooter with level designs that get repetitive and annoying, especially with backtracking, and in each game only a small handful of these levels actually meet a good level of enjoyment, but even they do not rise to the level as most shooters can, and I am not whining about the fact it is on a console, I have seen the console churn out shooters that are still better (The original Perfect Dark, for example, is still one of the greatest in the genre, console or PC)

2. Half-Life [PC, PS2, DC (DC Canceled)] When Half-Life came round, having heard about it's excellent story and setting, I had to check it out. I've been wanting a good story driven shooter for a long time, but when I got into the game, the story ended up feeling nothing more than Doom, but on Earth and with Aliens instead of demons. The universe was more cohesive, but even it annoyed me with cramped hallways, and while many respect this feature, I felt many of the puzzles fell short of what I had once again heard they were. Half-Life was a good game, but I do not see myself replaying it for anything more than the mods. However, I feel Half-Life 2 truly fixes my qualms with the first, by adding a much more unique story (Although it definitely has gotten better and more developed in recent 'episodes') and much more unique puzzles.

3. Quake II [PC, PSone, N64, X-box 360] Quake is one of my favourite shooters of all time. It's setting was truly unnerving, H.P. Lovecraft inspired medieval worlds and excellent sound and haunting music design, and some great level design to boot. But Quake II came as one of the most disappointing sequels of all time for me, it's level design was mediocre, contained annoying backtracking, and it stripped the original games horror setting in favour of a sub-par sci-fi world. I only grew to give up these qualms a good 2 or 3 years ago, when I gave the game a second chance, but still felt it just doesn't live up to the original in the singleplayer or multiplayer arena.

4. WarCraft series [PC, PSone, SAT] While I consider WarCraft 2 and 3 to be competent RTS games, I don't consider them stellar. I could never get into their setting, with contrived plots and inconsistencies (Such as how #2 was pure RTS, but 3 was a mish-mash of RPG and RTS) and I never could get into RPG games, let alone MMOs and WoW just didn't do anything for me. I have always, and still do, prefer StarCraft, as the universe just seems more interesting as well as it's design.

5. Doom 2 [Too many damn ports to count] Doom is a classic game, and still today possibly my favourite of all time. Doom 2 can be called a classic too, as when the mod community that keeps Doom alive even today truly came round, it was with Doom 2. But Doom 2 was just plain mediocre, the level design was long, drab, and it didn't have the winning formula from the first. Doom 2 had good moments, but never great, and the small amount of monsters and only one weapon, made it feel more like a bloated expansion pack.
 
That's a good list, Croutons! Here's mine...

Underated:

1.) Savage Series [PC] An FPS/RTS combo set in a post apocalyptic Earth, Humans have to battle aliens and demons to protect their homeland. Mainly played for multiplayer, excellent game it is.

2.) Rise of Nations [PC] An RTS beginning from the stone age ending in today's Information Age. You can play this game for hours and it feels like minutes, Rise of Nations in my opinion is the best RTS on the market.

3.) Ace Attorney Series [DS] An Adventure/Puzzle game, you're Phoenix Wright rookie attorney. This game is complete with many puzzles, laughs, and awesome. Play it, I demand you to. Thor has spoken

4.) Shadow of the Colossus [PS2] An Adventure game where you take down evil monster giants that are trying to destroy the kingdom. For a PS2 game the graphics are phenominal, it's seriously like playing art, lots of fun too.

5.) Psi-Ops [Multi] An Action/Adventure/3PS where you are a super human with many kinetic powers. Not only do you get to shoot people, but you can lift them up with your telekinesis and rip them to shreds.

Overrated:

1.) Super Smash Bros. Series [Nintendo] It's fun, but it's not anywhere near perfect, the hype and love put into this game is not worth it. It is after all a fighting game.

2.) Guitar Hero/Rockband [Multi] Do I even have to say this one? Spend hours and hours pretending to play an instrument when they could actually play an instrument? But no, gaining a skill that could actually prove useful is COMMUNIST TALK!

3.) Halo Series [Xbox/PC] Right there with you, Croutons.

4.) Command & Conquer [PC] How is it that fantastic from any other Real-time strategy? There aren't many huge differences from it and an average RTS. I love all sorts of RTSs, but I could never get into C&C.

5.) Perfect Dark [N64] There's nothing special about it, mediocre story, poor multiplayer, poor gameplay. HORRIBLE sequel, but most people are still in love with it.

Well there's my list! ^^
 
err...thor...nice list...but you failed explaining Shadow of the Colossos....the monster werent evil....and they sure didnt try to destroy something...they were part of the land....and you had to kill them to bring back ur beloved one....i should know that because i played the game like 100times in a row -.-
you were forbidden to go there and do that because there was a danger if you do that.....like beeing possested by the spirits
 
alright i got a few

Underrated

Tribes 2: great multiplayer, so much fun when you get on a clan, and just have giant 32 on 32 battles. plus the customization of your weapons layout, and vehicles

Battlefield 2142: Loved Battlefield:1942, Vietnam, and 2, but 2142 was so underrated. no more flag captures but trying to knock out a shielded cruiser/capital ship is pretty freaking awesome.

Gunbound: super fun, cartoony, artillery type game. it looks pretty cheesey, but i've spent countless hours playing because its just addicting!

Overrated:

Halo Series: same as croutons says. i don't hate it, its just a shooter that doesn't have the greatest engine.

Guitar Hero: i've been playing guitar for a decade now, and i gotta say its sad and pathetic that i can't play a lot of songs on expert and get crap for it. oh, its also fun going to guitar center and seeing these kids say "well, i rape guitar hero, so i can play real guitar" HAHAHA....yeah, cause real guitar is 5 buttons and A string!

Bioshock: whoohoo, its got good graphics and won awards. I hated the story line, and i'd rather just play some pipedream than solve those dumb puzzles.

Second Life: your life sucks so mcuh that you have to make a second one through a dumb MMO? awesome.
(this goes for WOW too. why don't you spend so much time doing something like studying and reading or getting friends, instead of buying useless items for your lvl 70 crap. i'm a lvl 70 person, not a warlock or whatever

(not a game per-say)
Manchester United: its a premier league team you've heard of! Good job, they suck, and get lucky. they don't work as a team that well, and have morons. find a team worth respecting!
 
Some of these games may not be over rated/under to you guys but im just posting what i see at my school/life and stuff like that.

OVER RATED ( not in any specific order FYI )

Halo 3 ( For Sure )
Runescape
Assassin's Creed
Oblivion
The Wii in general
Bioshock

Under Rated ( again not in any order )
Day Of Defeat Source ^_^
Crackdown
Skate.
Anarchy Online

thats about it
 
Most of recent US games I played are for PS2 so I think these are underrated

Rogue Galaxy
Okami
Persona 3
Odin Sphere
Tenchu
 
They're ways underrated. However American gamers do not like visual novels so I don't think it counts
 
[quote1209164818=Lekk [VN]]
However American gamers do not like visual novels so I don't think it counts
[/quote1209164818]

Of course we dont likw games where we gotta read :)
 
[quote1209166227=ManBearPig -TR-]
[quote1209164818=Lekk [VN]]
However American gamers do not like visual novels so I don't think it counts
[/quote1209164818]

Of course we dont likw games where we gotta read :)
[/quote1209166227]

but if you read ur brain will be active..if you brain is active ur gona have a lot of ideas...like starting a war xD
 
yeah..wow...big hipe about it.....people even died because they stayed on the pc for...7 days nonstop....
 
Sad to admit it but i played runescape for a long time and wasted a chunk of my life. I like guitar hero cause its fun to play with friends. Its not a solo kinda game. I played oblivion i thought it was kinda cool. It was like Fable. Ive wanted to play skate though. Looks fun.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top