Can't choose style of build, help?

skyrocket586

Poster
Joined
Jun 8, 2012
Messages
144
Hi everyone, Its coming up to build time for me but I'm fighting myself over which style of build to go for.
The options are either
1- http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=16851
Something along this kind of line. Big, SLI graphics, custom water cooling loop and so on or...
2- http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=17016
This kind of thing with a motherboard like this http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=16802
Small and awesome, H80 cooling, and yeah.

Opinions, help, other recommendations and anything would be much appreciated.
 
Im just kinda curious, what exactly are you trying to go for here? Just to overclock the cpu & thats it? Please tell me what you have hardware wise right now & from there tell me what you're wanting to do for your upgrade. From there, the community & I will be able to further assist you in making your dream purchase & build a reality.
 
Haha, sorry. should have made it clearer. The aim of the build is to create a solid gaming rig that will last for a long while and have the potential to overclock in the future. Currently I have no hardware bar screens and input devices so this will be a scratch build. I suppose what I'm really asking is, should I go for a sort of "character" build (mini-ITX) or just a Big Rig monster thingy... And does anyone have any stories to share involving the Bitfenix Prodigy and / or other m-ITX gaming rigs...
 
Well I will say that I cannot speak on m-ITX gaming rigs since ive never really had a desire to build 1 of those (I find it to be more of a hinderance since I have fat fingers). Also I prefer the big rigs because it allows for better airflow (imho). So since you're starting from scratch, we need an idea of your price range. Heres some ?s that come to mind:

CPU preference: Intel or AMD

Memory amount: 4gb, 8gb, 16gb, etc

Hard drive space: 1tb, etc

Motherboard preferences: spec memory bus speed, usb 2.0/3.0, etc

Video card: AMD or nVidia (are you planning on goin Crossfire/SLI)?

Power supply: 500 min wattage (based on 1 video card)

Case preferences: Any spec brand name & mid tower or full tower?

OS: Win7 Home Premium/ Pro/ Ultimate (security features is really the big difference between these 3 OS's)

Also do you have your own monitor & keyboard/mouse?

From what I have heard/seen, you cannot afford to get flexible on m-ITX builds due to space constriction (if someone can disprove this point, please feel free to give feedback). This is why I prefer big rigs; they always leave room for improvement/upgrades. If anyone has made an m-ITX gaming build, I would like you to post your thoughts about this topic so that skyrocket can be given more information toward making the best decision for his future build.

I have 2 suggestions tho: #1 is for the psu; go for a reliable name brand (based on both the feedback that you receive as well as the ratings on the site if they are available). We strongly recommend Newegg since they are absolutely well known for their customer service as well as the community giving feedback on the products that are sent to them. Also theres no other company I can think of that gives more free s&h offers for pc components than anyone else (please feel free to correct me on this tho if needed). Also look into the psu's warranty. Try & get somewhere between 3-5 years. I have a Corsair 650w psu & it comes w/ a 5 year warranty (which is the main reason I went after it).
#2 is to look for a video card that comes with a 3 or more year warranty. I prefer a video card that comes with a lifetime limited warranty (meaning that as long as you dont try to overclock it past what the video card can handle & burn out the video card, then ur good). Thats what I got with my last video card & ended up gettin heat issues which caused video lag or some issue after 3 years & had to send the card in to see what eVGA could do (never had to deal with this in the past). Needless to say, they more than took care of me. Within a week, they sent back a box w/ a refurbed newer card, GTS450 (which is what I currently use).
 
I have most of the parts planned at the moment...

-Intel all the way. a 3770k most likely
-16gb ram
-128gb ssd boot
-1tb bulk storage
-If i go ATX then Maximus V formula or P8Z77-V Deluxe
If i go m-ITX then P8Z77-I Deluxe
-Nvidia GTX 660ti with plans to go SLI in the future
If i go m-ITX the video card will be a GTX 670
-Power supply depends on which build I go for
-Case is either a Bitfenix Prodigy or HAF-XM, again, depends if I build m-ITX or ATX
-OS: Home premium
-Monitor, Keyboard and mouse are already sorted

Sadly Newegg ain't an option for me as I am based on the opposite side of the world and shipping would be a small fortune on its own and rather risky with fragile components. The previously mentioned website is where I shall be buying my parts from. The budget is $3000 NZD.


P.S: very interested to see what peoples opinions of the Maximus V formula are. Good or bad? Worth it or a waste of money? And does the Fusion Thermo thingy actually work well if anyone has experience in that area.

Thanks in advance
 
Consider getting a larger SSD. The upfront cost is a bit higher but 128 ends up being about 119 formatted and with a Windows install and a few games you're already maxed out.

Also consider buying Windows 7 Pro. The Home editions are largely garbage and you can get Pro for 99 bucks.
 
I got me this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146068 last year to build in my Mil Class II Mobo with Razor Mem and 8 core AMD in combo with 800W Xforce Power supply and 2 xforce Radeon HD 6970 Sli .. it works like a charm and will last for me for quite a while ;) Plus the Full tower gave me plenty of room to cool down the rig .. never go over 51 degree and that's without fancy coolant etc. ALL fan action :D

*edit* and i do alot of graphic stuff, video editing and gaming ;) my total build price was below 1k ;) incl. shipping to my door to Hawaii :) Aloha
 

Latest posts

Back
Top