Internet issues!

Dodgy

Famous
Joined
Sep 30, 2010
Messages
535
Hello, I've been having internet problems on my pc for about a year now and I've finally decided to get down to the bottom of what is causing it. I have a horrible connection on my computer, I'm lucky if I can load up a web page past my homepage. Games are pretty much a no-go too. There are times when I get decent connection, around 1 mbps but most of the time I'm getting about 200 kbps... :chair:

I'm on a home network and I'm using a D-Link DWA 525 wireless card and a D-Link DIR 815 Router, I'm running Windows XP with everything up to date.

The strange part is, the problem doesn't happen to any computer but mine, my laptop sits right next to my pc and it gets a great connection.

Please forgive me in advance if I've left any pertinent information as I don't know much about networks, just the computer itself.

Thank you.
 
Last edited:
Obvious question: Have you tried a different wireless card, or check to make sure it's seated properly? I actually use a wireless TP-LINK TL-WN722N which plugs into a USB port. Cost between $30-40. This thing works great; even had a friend play CS:S on it (and was a consistent top performer). If you're looking to do a quick test, you should be able to pick this or a similar wireless connector at any local PC shop. But that again depends on the answer to the question: Have you verified the issue isn't with the wireless card itself? (And I mean really check, verify it's seated right, that the issue isn't limited to card itself, but to any other card used in that PC, etc.)
 
Last edited:
Well, I've done some hardware checking. The card was seated right, I switched to a different slot to make sure, still a very slow connection. I would try another card but the one I used before I gave away, before I did it worked fairly well. I had a ton of lost connection issues with it, but when it did work it worked well enough for games. I'll try and get my hands on a cheap USB adapter and see how that works out. Thanks for the help so far!
 
Do you have the option to plug straight in to the router even if it's just for testing? I'd say rule out it being a whole network problem first.
 
I just wanted to post up a quick reply letting you both know that getting a USB adaptor has completely fixed my problem! Thank you both very much for taking the time out to help me, feels good to get my gaming pc back!
 
Which adapter did you get? Did you use the wifi adapter that I recommended?
 
Sweet. Happy to see my advice worked. Here's hoping it keeps working as long as it has for me (meaning, it's still rocking out!)

With that said, it's interesting that your wireless card in the PC isn't working. I'm guessing it's plugged into a PCI or PCI-E slot, and its not working correctly, therefore causing you to have those connectivity issues. That points to either the card itself is bad (possibly), or the connection on the motherboard is bad (unlikely, but still a possibility). But since you got the USB adapter, the only thing you would be worried about is if its the motherboard, which could be a sign it's slowly aging and dying on you. If you experience any additional problems with your PC beyond the Internet connectivity, I'd be worried about the motherboard then.
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top