longest free fall. edge of the atmosphere

G_MAN

I made one post
Joined
Sep 13, 2012
Messages
6
Austrian skydiver Felix Baumgartner has lifted off on his mission to break a series of freefall records.
Live stream http://www.redbullstratos.com/live

His giant helium balloon left the ground at Roswell, New Mexico, a short while ago and is currently on a climb that should take it to more than 120,000ft (36.5km).

Baumgartner will then jump out.

The near absence of air at this high altitude means he should break the speed of sound as he falls - a velocity in excess of 690mph (1,110km/h).

The journey down should take 10 minutes, about half of it in freefall.

No-one has ever gone so high in a balloon, nor attempted to make such a high skydive.


The current record for the biggest jump of all time is now 52 years old. It was set by US Air Force Col Joe Kittinger when he leapt from a helium envelope at an altitude of 102,800ft (31.3km).

can't wait;)
 
stratos.png
 
Close, within 17 seconds of almost beating the free fall record of 4:36.

Still an impressive feet! No way I would have the guts to jump from that height if payed to do it lol.
 
Today also the 65th anniversary of Chuck Yeager breaking the sound barrier.
 
I would never do it. I heard about this on the news and apparently he broke the sound barrier.
 
Older footage of the first jump set to Boards of Canada, an electronic/ambient duo. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2zKARkpDW4[/ame]
 

Latest posts

Back
Top