News about Windows 8

pillar

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Feb 14, 2008
Messages
2,968
So this article is like really long. Like 5 pages long. I seriously got bored of reading it after the 2nd page (it was referencing similarities of MS-DOS/Win 3.0 & Win 8). Overall, Microsoft has confirmed that Windows 8 will only become available via their Windows Store. That's right, you cant get it for a discounted price @ Newegg or via your local college (even if you're taking some course that'll help you get the OS for a really good discount). You will have to pay full retail price.
Also Microsoft has added a bunch of rules to Windows 8, one of them being that developers cannot release a game with a PEGI rating of 18 (for those of you who don't understand PEGI system, its means a rated M game). The rule states that the game has to be made with a PEGI rating of 16 (Teen game).
Somehow I definitely forsee plenty of people being able to find loopholes in this new OS & being able to get away with some devious stuff.

For those of you who don't mind reading bout the latest in OS info, here's the article: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featu..._Closed_Distribution_Means_for_Developers.php
 
Do they have plans to release the OS on standalone media (USB Drive), like Apple did with their OS?
 
Cute, i was looking forward to see if steam was running on win 8 , and then comments about running games like DoD:s and TF2
 
When companies do stuff like this it always seems like they just want to watch their product crash.
 
Have you guys seen Microsoft's new logo? It looks so freakin bland! I dunno if theyre trying to make an art statement by doing that, but its looks freakin horrible! The wavy look gives it more flow & character imho.
 
Evolution of the logo.
8089d1341487491-new-windows-logo-windows-logo.jpg


I my self love minimalism, but the new logo is just sad how simple it is.
__________________________________

OS History

Win 98: GREAT

Win 2000 or ME: FAIL

Win XP: GREAT

Win Vista: FAIL

Win 7: AWESOME

Win 8: Looks great, but still a FAIL

Win 9: Judging by the patter this shall be a great OS (lets hope so)​
 
I will def not be getting any computer pre-installed with Windows 8. (Not Saying that I'd have the money anytime soon.) I will buy the computer at a build-your-own website and make it come without a OS system, cheaper that way too. It's just too damn ugly and not worth the extra 200$ that will come with any pre-packaged system from Walmart, Best Buy, or any other retail store. Though they say it will only be done under their own personal store, they'll see how horrible the sales are within the first month and ask retail stores to take it. By that time though, I doubt any retail store would want it.
 
Windows 8 is the next Vista, the end.

What were they thinking between the Developers Build and now? Ive been running the dev build on my laptop for awhile now and it has its quirks, but not that bad.

Def looks like im not going to get the full pay for version.
 
Windows 8 is the reason why I truly hope that Valve succeeds in bringing the game industry to Linux.

If this happens, then ill gladly switch my system over to Ubuntu. Ive been wanting to try that OS for a few years now anyways.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top