Well DAW's (Digital audio workstation) are all similar. They all do the exact same thing, but just have different workflows. What I recommend, is getting a demo version of several different DAW's and seeing which one you like best (keep in mind, most of these programs are very advanced and have a steep learning curve)
If you're looking to buy a DAW, personally I use Logic Pro 9 because I have an iMac right next to my PC for production, but Logic is mac only so if that is not an option for you, there are other programs.
Logic Pro 9 - 200$ (very cheap, very advanced, kind of like Garageband on steroids.)
Ableton Live Suite 8 - $524-$699 (very simple interface, highly recommended)
Wait a little longer for Bitwig to come out -
http://www.bitwig.com
Protools 10 - $699
Cubase
Reaper
FL Studio (personally I don't like the workflow)
That covers a good majority of available DAW's, check each of them out.
You may also want to look into getting external plug-ins to run with-in the DAW if you decide to stick with it.