Team fortress 2: Huds, skins, scripts.

Magus

EGO Zealot
Joined
Aug 9, 2012
Messages
1,734
Customize your game
With these three tutorials ​

This is a thread that will (hopefully) teach you how to add the following to your team fortress 2 game:

  • Huds
  • Skins
  • Scripts

These three things can improve your skill at the game, and customize it to your liking. I hope this thread can be useful to some players, new or old, that are interested. Let me know if you want me to add tutorials about other things, and if I have incorrect information.

Note: These require a file extracting program, such as winRAR or winzip.


Huds​

Hud is short for heads-up display. They replace the color pallets with new, simplistic, stylized ones. For this tutorial, we are going to be using the OMP hud, a hud that simplifies alot of standard things. This is a popular and good hud for competitive players.


The first thing you want to do is download the three files for this hud, here. Click the ZIP button near the top to start the download. Once done, navigate to the files in your directories (usually located in downloads. )


Before doing anything, navigate to your tf directory and remove the resources and scripts directories, if they exist. If you don't see those anywhere, ignore this part.
Directory: Hard drive>program files>steam>steamapps>yourusername>team fortress 2>tf

Next, use your file extracting program and extract the new resources and scripts files to your tf directory.

Essentially, the two directories you just removed and replaced were the pallets and whatnot for the vanilla hud, and replaced them with the new pallets.


And that is how you install a new HUD onto your team fortress 2 game. If this doesn't work, make sure you extracted them to the right directory and removed the original two resources and scripts files. This is pretty much how you install any HUD our there, not just this one.



Weapon skins​

Skins are new models on the vanilla team fortress 2 weapons. For this tutorial, we are going to be using a skin that makes the default revolver golden, 007 style. Installing skins is a lot like huds, accept it involves more file navigation.

To start, go here and download the file (scroll down to the file mirrors.)

Once downloaded, navigate to your tf directory again.
Hard drive>program files>steam>steamapps>yourusername>team fortress 2>tf
Once their, navigate to materials>models>custom (if it is there)>weapons.
Make a new folder titled v_revolver. Once you have made that folder, extract the downloaded files to the v_revolver folder.

And that is all! I do believe every skin or group of skins requires a new folder to be made in the weapons directory. Make sure you read the readme file when you download a new skin.


Scripts​

Scripts are commands that allow for tactics in-game that are good to use when practicing strategy's , like aim, rocket jumping, etc. We are going to use a script that allows zoom-in when you press a certain key. (useful for the ambassador and huntsman.)

Again, we need to navigate to the tf2 directory once more.
Hard drive>program files>steam>steamapps>yourusername>team fortress 2>tf
Now, navigate to cfg>autoexec
If you are an eG rank or above, you may notice that your admin pin is in the autoexec file. If this is true, make a new, seperate autoexec notepad file with the exact same name as your admin pin. I do not recommend using just one file for two autoexecute files.

Once the file is made, copy and paste this into the notepad file:

alias "+zoom" "zoomin"
alias "-zoom" "zoomout"
alias zoomin "r_drawviewmodel 0; fov_desired 74"
alias "zoomout" "r_drawviewmodel 1; fov_desired 90"
unbind ALT
unbind SHIFT
bind "SHIFT" "+zoom"
alias "rlToggle" "rlon"

Where it says bind "SHIFT" "+zoom", change SHIFT to whatever key you want to zoom with. I like to use mouse 3.





And that is all! PM me or reply to this thread if you have questions, or if I have some information that is faulty, for I am not an expert. I hope this thread was helpful, and good luck!
 
I use most of these but a lot of them look really interesting. I might use some!
 
Good guide. I'll toss in my recommendation of VIP-Quad from the Garm3nHUD pack. @_@

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UNL9l0HOi4[/ame]
 
e.v.e. hud is best hud

http://code.google.com/p/eve-tf2hud/

4fe4d12882dc6.jpg


4f905a341d2fa.jpg


_1320-.jpg


teammenu.jpg
 
Last edited:
Well, if you use GameBanana, all you need to do is copy the models and materials (and scripts and sounds, if any) folders into your tf folder. Really simple.
 
[

Scripts are commands that allow for tactics in-game that are good to use when practicing strategy's , like aim, rocket jumping, etc. We are going to use a script that allows zoom-in when you press a certain key. (useful for the ambassador and huntsman.)


alias "+zoom" "zoomin"
alias "-zoom" "zoomout"
alias zoomin "r_drawviewmodel 0; fov_desired 74"
alias "zoomout" "r_drawviewmodel 1; fov_desired 90"
unbind ALT
unbind SHIFT
bind "SHIFT" "+zoom"
alias "rlToggle" "rlon"

Where it says bind "SHIFT" "+zoom", change SHIFT to whatever key you want to zoom with. I like to use mouse 3

Can you use that? I talked to Cael about it and it seems that you can't use anything that's not vanilla ( or something along those lines )

Also, I use a good amount of skins and PVHud:

Nuclear Jarate
Team-Colored Black Bushwacka
Sniper rifle similar style to the Bat Outta Hell
Spas Scatter
Silenced Pistol
Microphone Atomizer
Zelda Huntsman
 
Can you use that? I talked to Cael about it and it seems that you can't use anything that's not vanilla ( or something along those lines )

Also, I use a good amount of skins and PVHud:

Nuclear Jarate
Team-Colored Black Bushwacka
Sniper rifle similar style to the Bat Outta Hell
Spas Scatter
Silenced Pistol
Microphone Atomizer
Zelda Huntsman

I was told scripts are fine and not considered a game changing add-on.
 
Can you use that? I talked to Cael about it and it seems that you can't use anything that's not vanilla ( or something along those lines )

Scripts are fine. CSS has a ban on scripts because they have bunny hopping and what not. TF2 scripts can't really give any movement advantage like that.
 
Can you use that? I talked to Cael about it and it seems that you can't use anything that's not vanilla ( or something along those lines )

Also, I use a good amount of skins and PVHud:

Nuclear Jarate
Team-Colored Black Bushwacka
Sniper rifle similar style to the Bat Outta Hell
Spas Scatter
Silenced Pistol
Microphone Atomizer
Zelda Huntsman

Here's my stance on that:

I read somewhere that scripts are not cheating, because everyone has access to it and can use it as they wish.

It's not like it's an aimbot anyway, so I don't think it's a huge deal.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top