$500 Budget for a Modest PC Upgrade

runo

Forum Fiend
Joined
Nov 20, 2009
Messages
589
So I know I make these threads once a year -- but I've actually got the money to upgrade in-hand, and I'm waiting to see what y'all think before I pull the trigger!

Current Peripherals:
24" ASUS Widescreen LCD @ 1080p
Logitech G500
Logitech G90
Rosewill Wired Mechanical Keyboard w/ Cherry Brown Caps

Current Components:
Cooler Master Storm Scout
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Gigabyte 890GX-UD3H AMD Motherboard
Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition @ stock 3.2GHz clock
SeaSonic X650
EVGA GTX 460 768MB
4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Samsung 500GB SpinPoint F3 7200RPM/32MB Cache
Sony Optiarc

Current Cart:
I'm still debating between a 7870 XT and a 7950 3GB but I'm really leaning towards the XT since I only play at 1920x1080 and it keeps me closer to budget. I might also include an SSD if I can stay in-budget or wait 'til next month and pick up the Samsung 840 Pro 128GB.
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory [8-8-8-24 Caslat / 1.5v]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233147
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202024 (Picking it up once it's in stock again)
Current Total: Approximately $428.67 (Shipped)

My other option is to pick up the memory I linked above, paired an Intel i5-3570K and an ASRock Extreme4 Z77 motherboard, and SLI my GTX 460 768MBs; I can then pick up the Samsung 840 Pro 128GB next month and simply upgrade into a high-end GPU for Christmas. It's a much more expensive, more long-term investment, but ultimately much more powerful and with more staying power than my budget upgrade.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
-Runo
 
Well when it comes to the whole cpu/gpu/mobo, thats completely your choice (even tho I do agree with the cpu upgrade because ive been waiting on a friend to build his system & Im gonna get him the same cpu as well).

However, I would suggest going with this memory since it has a special going on right now (pretty much same stats as the 1 already have in ur current build): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345

Also, seeing as how the gtx 460's are outta stock, unless you have another around (or theres a store nearby that carries em), I would suggest going the AMD route, but dont think you really need a 7 series card. If you really wanna get an ssd, then choose carefully (based on your budget). Ive been wanting to get an ssd for an upgrade as well, but gotta take care of my loan 1st (top priority), even tho ive slowly finding good deals to upgrade my system with.
 
I actually have the 2nd EVGA GTX 460 768mb lying around. Same exact make and model -- they match exactly -- so SLI won't be a problem (I couldn't SLI before because my current motherboard does not support SLI or the SLI 'hack'. To me it seems like the smartest route would be to go with the 8GB RAM + i5 CPU + Extreme4 mobo and just SLI for now and upgrade my GPU later when it starts to show signs of needing an upgrade but I'm not sure...
 
I wound up upgrading to 8GB of DDR3 1600, an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition and an EVGA GTX 670 FTW Signature2 2GB. I think I'll be pretty happy with it when it gets here Wednesday. :>
 
Sorry I was really busy between yesterday & this morning. Well seeing as how you wont need 3 cards, wanna send 1 of those gtx 460's my way? j/k
 
Not trying to burst your bubble, but the 555 and 965 processors are theoretically the same performance wise once you unlock the two hidden cores in the 555. I had the 555, and unlocked the cores, and got the same scores in benchmarks like 3dmark 11 as i did with my 965.
 
Not trying to burst your bubble, but the 555 and 965 processors are theoretically the same performance wise once you unlock the two hidden cores in the 555. I had the 555, and unlocked the cores, and got the same scores in benchmarks like 3dmark 11 as i did with my 965.

I know. Unfortunately the cores wouldn't unlock on my 555 (they wouldn't stay stable), so I didn't really have much of an option.
 
I wish I could, but my motherboard doesn't support AM3+. It's an 890GX so it only supports Socket AM3. Honestly this was just kind of a jump from a dual core to a quad core within my budget at the moment. For Christmas I'm probably just going to get a new case and go with a Z77+i5-3570k.
 
AM3 and AM3+ are the same thing. My old motherboard only supported AM3 and i still ran AM3+ processors in it.

edit: Nevermind you cant.
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top