Demoman disappointment

Wallydog

Rookie
Joined
Aug 13, 2007
Messages
48
Demoman has been my primary choice and I'm really bummed about the change with the demoman's grenades! I feel defenseless in close combat. At least before the grenade would explode more predictably... now they bouce around and lay there for about 2-3sec before going off.
Maybe if we had hand gun instead of a bottle of booze would be a good thing!

just venting a bit..... I'll still be a Demoman but now i have to stick with defence even more.

- Wallydog
 
Well aren't grenades supposed to bounce around and lay there for about 2-3 seconds before going off in reality? >_>
 
Hi Wallydog, I agree with you that the demoman is the current underdog in terms of close range and melee combat. He has one major defensive strength with his sticky bombs that makes him a vital class at guarding control points. Still, the engineer's sentry almost seems powerful enough to make up for the entire defense, it leaves you to wonder why you should use the Demoman instead of the Soldier. I think I've used the Demoman a total of 40 minutes in the past 60 hours of play time. :(
 
Demo does WAY more dmg then the soldier though. He can kill a heavy with two hits! Even with 450 hp!
 
[quote1191534304=blackhawksniper]
Demo does WAY more dmg then the soldier though. He can kill a heavy with two hits! Even with 450 hp!
[/quote1191534304]

Can, but it's more likely to take 3 depending on the damage of the grenades.

And for the record, yes I agree. The change to the grenades was absolutely terrible, and makes the primary weapon almost entirely useless. It's like never being able to prime grenades in DoD, except they also start glowing so everybody can avoid them.

In the tips they always tell you about how you should bounce the grenades around corners to take out people and sentries, but doing so now automatically removes their ability to go off in a decent amount of time. Every single class, including the heavy, can now avoid the grenades if they want to with ease unless you just happen to get a lucky shot before the grenade bounces. I am very terribly disappointed with the new grenade launching system, and they should change the timer, change it back, or something.

...however, I don't think the demoman is useless as a whole. I've played demoman more than any other class, and still manage to do pretty well with it. I almost NEVER user the primary weapon, though. It's all about sticky bombs. Traps. That is the true nature of the demoman in it's current state, setting up traps.

Bait the trap with your regular weapon shooting like you're trying to advance, retreat around a corner making some people follow you - BOOM! No more bad guy. Also I've had more luck in close range with stickies than my primary weapon. A scout chasing you down? Turn around and run, shoot a sticky a few feet in front of you and when you jump over it make it blow - propelling you much faster through the air from the scout (thanks to the sticky jump) and blowing him to bits. Also don't forget that you can blow up the sticky bombs whenever you want, and that you can charge the shots for very long range hits. The sticky bomb "distance" doesn't affect it's damage, and I've taken out many snipers by powering up a shot - firing it off towards them and blowing it up in mid-air when it gets to their face.

The primary weapon may as well not exist since it's basically a luck weapon, now...sticky bombs are the demomans only strength.
 
heh, just means that you have to play the demoman as he was meant to be played, defense. Personally I thought it was pretty ridiculous when 3-5 demoman are attacking on 2fort and their grenades can bounce off all sorts of walls and kill you if they get even close.

Now I see the demoman right where I expect to see him, defending the base/cap point or taking out turrets., not running the flag from base to base.

btw, did they bump up the pyro a little too much after the last update?
 
[quote1191541428=[REB]P.T. Flea]
[ A scout chasing you down? Turn around and run, shoot a sticky a few feet in front of you and when you jump over it make it blow - propelling you much faster through the air from the scout (thanks to the sticky jump) and blowing him to bits. [/quote1191541428]


Flea- i'll give that a try- hate being murdered by a scout!
 
I love demoman, I've gotten to be quite good at it, I think. Especially in usage of the sticky bombs.

...it's just so dependant though, so situational that it doesn't allow for very reactional play. ...I may have to find a new favorite class.
 
I love airbursting with the sticky nades too. I've gotten the timing down pretty good. Airbursting over the central flag bridge in Well is just epic win.
 
I like charging and firing at points in dustbowl, and detonating them in midair, too.

I suck at it, but Id like to think Im getting better =D
 
I really miss those yellow grenades that you could det almost instantly after firing... But then again you couldn't stick them to the ceiling, or walls. I'm starting to like the stickies a little bit.
 
I agree with Flea. there's no better feeling than luring a Pyro around the corner and setting off 4 stickies and watch him gib all over the place.
On the other hand, most people are aware of demoman's traps. whenever you see a demoman pull a retreat, a red flag should go up and one should think twice before chasing him down a corridor.
Of course, being creative with where you place the stickies can turn the tide of a fight and become a nasty surprise for the enemy.
I see him as a counterpunching class that can take a team that's on defense and turn it into offense.
 
Back
Top