Lag help

Ken the Kitsune

Thread Thumper
Joined
Jun 14, 2012
Messages
1,014
So recently I have a problem. I literally can't go 5 minutes on a server without lagging out. the setting recommendations are high, but I had to put them on minimal to play. Now that isn't even an option. Even when i manually removed all the mods. Internet is slow and keep crashing, anti malware and anti-virus says there is nothing. About to go to college and REALLY don't want my computer to just die
 
Last edited:
There are multiple ways to fix this. Use chris tf2 config it helps out alot and make your anti virus software exclude tf2 from scans. This will stop your anti virus program from doing scans on tf2 while playing. Ill give you a link to the config later
 
I have the same problem, and it started about a day after Steampipe's official launch. When a server gets to above 6 players, I lag out.

Because of the timing, I'm pretty sure it's because of TF2 itself. I'd really like a fix to this.
 
If it was fine before, wait a week or so till the next update or two and then see if it was fixed.
 
So it's not my computer? huh, well that's good to hear, another reason to blame valve >:D

Steampipe.....
1128579.jpg
 
Well, GTR is saying don't jump to conclusions. It may be good to wait and see if it's not one of the inevitable bugs that come with major updates before reformatting your computer or something like that. But, don't be surprised if the problem is something completely different, either.
 
Have you disabled you anti virus or male ware programs & tried to play to see if that makes any difference ?
Any Ideas if anything else is running in the background eating up resources?

Have you done a trace route to a eGO server that your having the lag issue on ( or is it all servers?) http://www.mediacollege.com/internet/troubleshooter/traceroute.html
http://support.hostgator.com/articles/specialized-help/technical/how-do-i-run-a-traceroute-on-a-mac

Or have you done a "stress test" on you PC to see if it's graphics, memory or another issue ( maybe even heat )? You can use frap or the free version of 3D Mark11.

While it "might" be a bug with steam or TF2 & I say that 'cuz thy have had a few & I have notice since the last update 3 of the eGO servers Payload, Valve Map & Dust bowl have gone from my usual ping of 55 to pings ranging from 90 - 110. I my trace routes are good right untill it get's to the server itself then it jumps up.

Personally I've never been one to recommend waiting around to see if it's a game or patch issue. I tend to narrow down everything I have control of & then go from there.
 
Back
Top