Playstation 4 and Xbox One

Which console do you think is worth buying?

  • The Playstation 4

    Points: 45 76.3%
  • The Xbox One

    Points: 4 6.8%
  • Undecided

    Points: 1 1.7%
  • Other(Please explain)

    Points: 9 15.3%

  • Total voters
    59
I seem to be the only person who realizes this is just marketing, not even that amazing marketing. Any person can tell the Microsoft messed up with showing the details of the xbox1 before e3 and not explaining their policies on certain things, skewing people's view of it early on. And few games (even though they said it wouldn't really have games and would focus on features) and Sony just took advantage of that. I wouldnt call it a burn or a crushing or anything, just simple marketing. A company makes a mistake, their rival realizes this and does the opposite, making more because of the mistake. And for the DRM for xbox1, all of you are using the internet now, so the 24 hour check wouldn't be much of a problem and if it happens in the background and isnt intrusive, what's the problem? the PS4 does have subscription service ($5 a month or $50 a year) so no free online for either console. And yea the used games thing is annoying but you can't buy used games for pc so I'm not to surprised.

Honestly I don't see how Sony "crushed" Microsoft, ignoring the 24 hour check and Used games, how did the PS4 surpass the Xbox1? Games looked nearly identical and ran smoothly on both so if someone could explain how Sony "burned them", that be great.

First off, there are a lot of active duty members who like to game, and they may not have good internet access.

Second, I have a PlayStation Plus subscription and I think it's worth it's definitely worth it. Even if the PS3 has free multiplayer gaming, I would still purchase a subscription to PS+. Reasons:

  • Free games. Either a good AAA or indie game every week. I just downloaded Deus Ex Human Revolution and Uncharted 3 (you can keep them the remainder of your subscription)
  • Massive discounts on digital games akin to the margin of discounts Steam gives you (you can keep them forever)
  • Syncing. Your PS3 wakes up during the middle of the night (like 3AM), sync your saves, updates any games that are to be updated, and then shuts down.
 
I put other as I will be getting both. Here are my points on both.

XBox One: Saw more exclusives on it. The always online doesn't bother me at all. (I think the people complaining about this are really a niche segment these days.) The Xbox WILL have used games and it will not be the same price as a used game. (Not any more than it is already). The controller for XBox is 100% better. 10 family members can share a game. You can loan out games to friends. Just as long as they have been on your friends list for 30 days. (Even steam doesn't do this). Call me crazy but I do like the entertainment stuff that MS has. XBLive for now is the better network for online gaming. The new Kinect is apparently pretty awesome and worth the extra $100. Full twitch and skype integration.

PS4: Got a few exclusives that look interesting. Will only be able to play with some friends on PS4. Slightly better specs. Mostly just memory tech but I am slightly skeptical on the real world benefit of this. PSN is slowly getting better and closer to on par with XBL. The new interface looks a little sleeker and easier to deal with. Right now has a better rep/feeling about it to hardcore gamers so may sell better and on parity with XBox in the US.

In closing I feel a lot of the issues stem from messaging and marketing. Xbox frankly in my opinion is the more forward looking system. PS4 is just a current gen with higher specs, there is nothing truly future minded about it. (Which is fine in some respects.) While I wish that MS would message the benefits of the XBox One better I can see where they are going with it. If you look at the truly interesting games for PS4 most of the net gen features are enabled online. You won't get the full experience or any experience at all (The Division, Destiny, Drive Club, etc.) without being online. So you are in effect having to be connected to play anyway. As far as DRM goes Jack Tretton (playstation head) said that the 3rd parties can/will still have DRM, that it is up to the publishers. So the whole no DRM on PS4 is a bit of marketing tag lines for a press conference.

Honestly if I didn't need a PS4 to play with some friends that are only getting one console I would skip the PS4 mainly due to the controller and PSN needing more work. But there are benefits to both.
 
First off, there are a lot of active duty members who like to game, and they may not have good internet access.

Second, I have a PlayStation Plus subscription and I think it's worth it's definitely worth it. Even if the PS3 has free multiplayer gaming, I would still purchase a subscription to PS+. Reasons:

  • Free games. Either a good AAA or indie game every week. I just downloaded Deus Ex Human Revolution and Uncharted 3 (you can keep them the remainder of your subscription)
  • Massive discounts on digital games akin to the margin of discounts Steam gives you (you can keep them forever)
  • Syncing. Your PS3 wakes up during the middle of the night (like 3AM), sync your saves, updates any games that are to be updated, and then shuts down.

Forgot to mention that PS+ Is completely optional unlike dumb Xbox Live gold which is NECESSARY to play online with an Xbox.
 
Forgot to mention that PS+ Is completely optional unlike dumb Xbox Live gold which is NECESSARY to play online with an Xbox.

On PS4 PS+ is necessary to play online. On Xbox Live the fee is also somewhat warranted, since the service is a lot more robust than free PSN.
 
I dont feel its a beating, just other people stating their opinions.

Man, I wish I hadn't deleted that wall of text then...

Anyway, my main issue with Microsoft is what they're saying with the DRM licensing scheme and the once-a-day internet check. They're say that we don't trust the consumer...the very group they're trying to cajole into dropping $500 on their product. That's probably why they have gotten so much ire from the internet, it's just really pompous mentality.

For instance: Don't have internet access...well Microsoft has a console for you, it's called the Xbox 360..

I mean, holy crap, that response.

As for the exclusives, only Titanfall looks interesting...and that I can just pick up on PC.
 
On PS4 PS+ is necessary to play online. On Xbox Live the fee is also somewhat warranted, since the service is a lot more robust than free PSN.

Now I feel bad for not watching the entire stream. At least it's cheap.Cheaper than netflix
 
Man, I wish I hadn't deleted that wall of text then...


For instance: Don't have internet access...well Microsoft has a console for you, it's called the Xbox 360..

I mean, holy crap, that response.

You could pm me it if you like, I don't get angry over people's opinion, only when they act like their opinion is right when facts prove them wrong.

And that is pretty pompous kind of like sony was last year. They even stated you would be proud to work harder to get the money to buy the $600 PS3. but in the article it states " in which nearly three in ten American households still don't have a broadband subscription" that means 7/10 homes have broadband access, so if they're appealing to just an american market, its not bad. But sucks for everyone else that doesnt live in an area with access to internet.(and of the 7bil people, 2.4bil use the internet).

This link shows an interesting map of internet useage globally and the areas that will sell the xbox1 have internet. I did see a list somewhere where it will be available and it said most European countries, US, Canada and Brazil. Probably some others but I can't seem to find it.
 
well I've been playing on consoles for as long as I can remember, I remember playing Pong and super mario bro's, wildgunman, pacman, tetris and all that goodness.

I'll be going with the Sony for there consoles and nintendo for there handhelds. I say this because in all my years of gaming the company I'v seen let me down the most is Microsoft. I'v seen most of my friends when I was in high school during the xbox /xbox360 times, Countless RROD and busted disc drives.

I've been fortunate enough to never have a playstation 1, 2, or 3 break or slowdown or wreck or anything happen to me. also with nintendo. I mean my first Nintendo still works and its as old as I am. also my gameboy that I got when I was 11. Still works.

My brother had 2 Xbox360's Both RROD'd within the year. He now has a playstation 3 thats been goin for 3 years now and my FAT Playstation 3 that was built in November 2007 still works great and I played the hell out of it.

So from personal experience Sony and Nintendo win for me.:thumbup: but you all make some very nice points. except for someone not liking the playstation controller. for that I say why?? are you mad!?!!, Also Games for windows live is the bane of my existence :cursing:

Have a nice day everyone:biggrin:
 
Wasn't the PS3 the "Entertainment System" and the 360 the "Gamer" console when they were coming out?


Good, bad, I don't care, I just play games with my dual 56k portable modem while deployed.
 
You could pm me it if you like, I don't get angry over people's opinion, only when they act like their opinion is right when facts prove them wrong.

And that is pretty pompous kind of like sony was last year. They even stated you would be proud to work harder to get the money to buy the $600 PS3. but in the article it states " in which nearly three in ten American households still don't have a broadband subscription" that means 7/10 homes have broadband access, so if they're appealing to just an american market, its not bad. But sucks for everyone else that doesnt live in an area with access to internet.(and of the 7bil people, 2.4bil use the internet).

This link shows an interesting map of internet useage globally and the areas that will sell the xbox1 have internet. I did see a list somewhere where it will be available and it said most European countries, US, Canada and Brazil. Probably some others but I can't seem to find it.

Naw, it's gone.

I agree, Sony was pompous when they announced the PS3...and their initial sales suffered because of it. Needless to say, I didn't get a PS3 until years after its release when the price finally dropped.

Unfortunately the Internet Usage Map you linked to included mobile access. According to Wikipedia, actual broadband subscription is in less than 30% of households in the US...with something like 20% of households with no access to broadband. Heck less than 30% of households have broadband in the developed world.

I mean I get it. I know that Microsoft is trying to create its own ecosystem for the living room. Their pitch though isn't great so far. They haven't explain why non-gamers should pay more for the Xbox One over something like Roku or Apple TV. Nor have they explained to gamers why the living room ecosystem matters or why the Kinect needs to be attached at all times or why it cost $100 more if it has somewhat similar specs to the PS4.
 
Last edited:
Nope sorry PS+ will now be required for online gaming. Said in the press conference then later confirmed be Jack Tretton.

But PS+ is also free, and Sony has also promised continued free online play.


Also a picture because I thought it was funny lol


fV9vcFY.jpg
 
But PS+ is also free, and Sony has also promised continued free online play.


Also a picture because I thought it was funny lol


fV9vcFY.jpg

PS+ isn't free, PSN is. Plus is the premium service for the store. You guys are cofusing me with this now
 
PS+ isn't free, PSN is. Plus is the premium service for the store. You guys are cofusing me with this now

The premium service, Playstation Plus, will be required for online multi player on games for PS4. It's in that hilariously cheeky video in the very first post in this thread, and Sony CEO Jack Tretton confirmed it the next morning in an interview.

However, to my knowledge, it won't be required to utilize services such as Netflix. You will still be able to access PSN and buy things from their store without one.

And Death, your observation was spot on. It's all just clever marketing on Sony's part. They capitalized on the opportunity Microsoft gave them. It's just semantics on whether you want to call it a burn or a crushing or not.

I would say at the least, Sony was relentless in making their presentation a direct counter-point to Microsoft's. I guess it's unique because for so many years the companies have just been big on touting their stuff and not taking shots at the others. To see one company start to get more aggressive in the marketing, it's fun. It's akin to how Reggie Fils-Aime came out strong and loud when he first started as President of Nintendo of America, before his body was ready. That guy gained my respect his first year out, and continues to do so even if he's inadvertently made some funny memes.

It's a neat change from the typical "our apples taste better than their apples" that you could summarize last year's presentations down to.
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top