War Movies/Series

kYuKi

Poster Extraordinaire
=(e)=
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,354
What's some good war movies/series? (Like World War II/Vietnam/Civil War/Revolutions) So far I've watched these listed below:

Band of Brothers
The Pacific
Schindlers List
Good Morning Vietnam
Buffalo Soldiers
Saving Private Ryan
The Pianist
The Patriot
Letters From Iowa Jima
Inglorious (cough)
Full Metal Jacket
Platoon
The Dirty Dozen
Pearl Harbor
Patton
Apocalypse Now
The Thin Red Line
We Were Soldiers
Rambo (all of them)
Hamburger Hill
Gettysburg
Glory

Think there's probably more that I have seen, but can't remember them all. I'm looking for some more movies to watch. I would prefer it to be in English as I have seen other movies that have gotten good reviews, but it's in their native language and subtitles only which is quite annoying sometimes.
 
Some of my favorites not on your list:

The Longest Day
Kelly's Heroes
The Dam Busters
The Bridge on the River Kwai
The Guns of Navarone
The Great Escape
Battle of the Bulge
Von Ryan's Express
Where Eagles Dare
Battle of Britain
The Eagle Has Landed
A Bridge Too Far
Das Boot
 
Definitely check out Joyeux Noel. It's a World War I movie (based on true events, of course) about a ceasefire between Germany, Ireland, and France during Christmas Eve. Very powerful and emotional film that can be considered both a war movie and a Christmas story.
 
I see such great movie names !
Band of Brothers is defently my favorite movie of all ! , got the limited edition etc! , besides that i must say that the second part ( the pasific ) also is a good movie, but there is 1 thing...
you see that they took far more time for band of brothers than for ''the pasific'' looking the special effects etc, also i must say , i love the story behind every movie, band of brothers showss one hell of a great beautyfull story from the start till the end, i must say i miss this in the pasific .

futher you pl got a good taste of movies, but the old movie's like , the iron cross, and where eagles dare, we don't need to forget, or movie's like boyle named, such as the guns of naverone !

-HardcoreLegend
 
Cross of Iron
Inglorious B***a**s (1978)
The Train
Paths of Glory
Duck, You Sucker! (Pretty much a war movie)
Come and See (Russian)
The Big Red One
The Hill
Stalag 17
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
 
Last edited:
id recommend Enemy at the Gates

its the story of vasily zaitsev, the russian sniper

its a pretty good movie but always seems to get overlooked when people talk about war movies
 
id recommend Enemy at the Gates

its the story of vasily zaitsev, the russian sniper

its a pretty good movie but always seems to get overlooked when people talk about war movies

+1 Excellent movie!
 
You guys listed a ton of good movies! Here are a few more.

Flags of our Fathers (WWII/Clint Eastwood touched it-- good.)

Tigerland (Nam/Takes place entirely at a training camp to prepare for the suck in Nam.)

Force 10 From Navarone (WWII/Han Solo must blow something up.)

Operation Dumbo Drop (Nam/For some reason an elephant is at the center of this movie.)

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (WWII/Archaeologist fights Nazis to hand sacred treasure to the US Government.)

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (WWII/Archaeologist helps destroy the sacred chalice from whence the Son of God dranketh and also kills Nazis.)

As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me (WWII/German POW escapes commie gulag)

Saints and Soldiers: Airborne Creed (WWII/Semi-indy flick is surprisingly good, involves killing Nazis.)

Inglourious Basterds (WWII/Shutup and watch.)

Flame and Citron (WWII/Danish resistance vs Nazis)

Windtalkers (WWII/Pacific Theater/Nic Cage is tasked with protecting a Navajo Codetalker or killing him in the process!)

FDR: American Badass (WWII/Badass indeed.)

Blood Creek (WWII/Horror/ Something about Nazis in the lame part of the US-- OK)

Dead Snow (WWII/Horror/Something about gold and Nazi Zombies killing things)
 
Last edited:
Catch 22
Pork Chop Hill
No Man's Land
Hearts and Minds
Johnny Got His Gun
All Quiet on the Western Front
 
I might catch some heat here for this...But Enemy at the Gates was TERRIBLE. It starts off super promising, and then just goes down hill. It is entertaining I suppose but being a history buff and having written extensively on the Eastern Front I do not suggest this movie. The original story of Vasily Zaytsev is awesome, not trying to take anything away from him, nor the fact that women snipers on the Eastern Front and mainly Stalingrad was incredible, I just can't give that movie anymore then 5/10 stars. But it all depends on what kind of entertainment/historical backing you want in your movies/TV to be. I am all about authenticity if you haven't guess that already, but of coarse dramatic licence is understandably used. Anyway, enough of my soap box rants, all other suggestions people have posted are great. I would LOVE to find some new movies on WWI so I am def checking out The Front Line.

Max Manus: Man of War is a Norwegian film based on the true events of Max Manus a resistance fighter during WWII in Norway. Super interesting and pretty close to the original story.

I am currently getting masters in Holocaust and Genocide Studies so I am going to suggest Auschwitz: The Nazis and the Final Solution. It is a six part series, very detailed & fascinating. What I really love about this documentary series is it that they interviewed and cover all sides, the perpetrators IE ex SS men who were in Auschwitz which is the most fascinating. Just detailing how they did everything and still having no remorse.

I will throw Defiance in there with Daniel Craig but I will caution its authenticity. It is about a group of Jewish partisan brothers who basically started their own colony in the woods with hospitals and schools. By the end of the war some 1,500 Jews had lived and survived there. They robbed farms, killed Nazis, and sabotaged rails. This isn't covered too much in the film, you only see a glimpse of it. What I really dislike about the movie is that they make Tuvia Bielski played by Craig to be this some what warm loving guy but the real story was that he was brutal...and I mean brutal to Nazi sympathizers and really any one in the camp who questioned his authority. You see it a little bit in the movie but he was a lot worse. Crazy. There is a documentary on the brothers who started the colony, I cant find it. It is in Polish so if you find that, watch it over this movie.

If you really have time, I suggest Kens Burns "The War" and "World at War". Both go very in depth about the war, but "World at War" covers everything and I mean everything! Pacific, Africa, Eastern Front, Rise of Japan, Fall of Third Reich, The Aftermath of the Atomic Bomb, all really great stuff. It is like 40 hour long episodes. But anything Ken Burns does is also amazing.
 
id recommend Enemy at the Gates

its the story of vasily zaitsev, the russian sniper

its a pretty good movie but always seems to get overlooked when people talk about war movies

Got the limeted edition of this movie ! love it ! +1 !
 
But it all depends on what kind of entertainment/historical backing you want in your movies/TV to be.

I'm going to guess that by putting all of the Rambo movies on your list you're pretty much saying that you're not too worried about historical accuracy and add a vote for Enemy at the Gates.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top