TF2 Problem

Royal81

Poster
Joined
Jan 21, 2013
Messages
100
Hey guys.. for some reason my TF2 Game server browser is not working. No servers are showing up, not in the internet tab or my favorites tab! All my other steam games that have servers were working just fine so I know it is not a problem with steam. I have tried everything I can think of. I've tried restarting Steam, restarting my computer, changing something with my router, uninstalling TF2 and re-installing it and still it is not working. It was working just fine earlier today so I don't know what must've happened. If you have any ideas or suggestions please do inform me!:facewall:
 
I don't know how to fix the problem, sorry. But, as a temporary fix, you can use the steam server browser. You find it by going to your steam client, clicking view in the top left, and selecting servers. This should look like the server browser in game, except include the servers from all games. From there you can just select the favorites tab like normal, and your servers should be there. Clicking connect from there will launch your game and connect you to the server.

If you can't see it, try opting into the steam client beta.
 
When I start mine up it is fine at first and connects if I act quick enough but after a minute I lose all my servers on the list and it has no connections unless I wait a few minutes then everything returns to normal. Not sure why it does that..
 
I don't know how to fix the problem, sorry. But, as a temporary fix, you can use the steam server browser. You find it by going to your steam client, clicking view in the top left, and selecting servers. This should look like the server browser in game, except include the servers from all games. From there you can just select the favorites tab like normal, and your servers should be there. Clicking connect from there will launch your game and connect you to the server.

If you can't see it, try opting into the steam client beta.

Thanks for the advice, but that didn't work either. It made it look like it was going to load then said "Connection failed after 4 retries."
 
Well same problem happened to me mate like couple of weeks ago, nothing showed up even my favorite servers tab and stuff. Now what i did is turn off my laptop and restarted it but nothing happened still same problem so then i turned off my laptop waited a day and came to it and it was fixed :o
 
Already tried it :/

Actually, he didn't. I told him not to delete anything until I got home. I deleted it and it's still not working.

Can't connect to any TF2 games. Doesn't matter how we try, TF2 server browser doesn't show any games, Steam server browser shows games but connection fails after 4 retries, can't go to console and connect manually, can't use a desktop shortcut.

It's weird because I was playing earlier today and everything was fine. Didn't change anything and when he got home from school this started happening.
 
Last edited:
Hmm..... [strike]Have you tried turning it off and on again?[/strike]

Honestly at this point I personally would reinstall Steam.

However, upon researching this, I came across this:

Exit from Steam completely
Download these custom files: MasterServers.vdf & MasterServers2.vdf - If the files do not download when clicked, please right click this link and select "Save Target As..."
Place it in your Steamconfig folder (You will need to overwrite the current file already in place)
Default location: C:/Program Files/Steamconfig
Right click this updated file and select "Properties"
In the General tab, make sure the "Read-only" box is checked and click OK
Re-start Steam and test the issue
If the issue persists, please complete the rest of this article
Hope that helps.
 
So, have you tried contacting steam support? I mean, bad as they can be, they would be the ones who would actually know.
 
Still not working. We have contacted Steam support.

It's weird that it only happens with TF2. DOD and CS work fine...and TF2 was working earlier and nothing has changed.

We cant see any favorites or history in TF2 either. I can't even add a server to favorites.
 
I've had this problem ever since I upgraded to Windows 8, sometimes the servers show up but most of the time they don't. Try looking at the servers before you start the game & joining that way, it usually works for me eventually
 
Last edited:
Im on Win8.1 and it worked ok for me.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGD6LNLMpIQ[/ame]
 
Fixed. Somehow our firewall decided to start specifically blocking hl2.exe in the TF2 folder.

all other hl2.exe files (CS, DOD, etc..) were unblocked.
 
Hmm..... [strike]Have you tried turning it off and on again?[/strike]


Have you tried turning it off/on again?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC4vz6IbdtY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC4vz6IbdtY[/ame]
 
Last edited:
Fixed. Somehow our firewall decided to start specifically blocking hl2.exe in the TF2 folder.

all other hl2.exe files (CS, DOD, etc..) were unblocked.

Oh wow, what program are you using?
 
Back
Top