DoD Server Statistics (06/12 - 12/13)

ST0RMY

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Apr 14, 2009
Messages
3,745
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I would like to share a project I have been working on off-and-on for the last month. We don't need to get into why I went all YSD up in this [place] but after a while it was actually entertaining plugging in over 1800 values. I don't see myself doing much more work on this project nor do i see myself collecting, analyzing, and presenting all the information I originally wanted to. However, I might still make additions or changes in the future. The information presented below should provide you all with a new perspective regarding the performance of eGO's DoD servers since June 2012.

Below I have created a series of graphs depicting overall server performance, individual graphs for each server, and trend lines showing the general performance of said individual servers.

The information provided uses GameTracker ranks and ranges from June 18, 2012 to December 13, 2013.

The majority of the data used in the graphs was obtained from Meg's "Just a heads up..." thread. You should all be grateful that she made a dedicated effort to keep track of server stats for over a year and a half.

Please let me know your thoughts.




Server Ranks​

Serv_G2.png

The above graph starts on June 18, 2012 and continues to December 13, 2013.

June 2012 eGO DoD Server Ranks:

#1 Avalanche
#2 Strand
#3 Donner
#4 Anzio
#5 Kalt

December 2013 eGO DoD Server Ranks:

#1 Avalanche
#2 Donner
#3 Kalt
#4 Anzio
#5 Strand​


+ Avalanche has remained eGO's most successful DoD server maintaining the #1 rank in GameTracker

- Anzio has been eGO's worst performing server never rising above rank 61 on GameTracker.

+ Kalt's rank has improved the greatest. Kalt was at one time eGO's worst performing DoD server starting at rank 97 in June 2012. Now it is eGO's third best server consistently maintaining a rank in the 29-33 range.

- Strand has seen the greatest decline in rank. In June 2012 it was eGO's second best performing server with its highest rank later reaching 8. Now it is eGO's worst ranked server with its present rank of 103. Strand's current slump was most evident when Kalt surpassed it to become eGO's third best server. Since July 19, 2013 Stand has dropped 64 positions, dropping an average of more than 2 positions every 5 days.





Anzio_G1.png

Anzio:

Lowest Rank: 158
Highest Rank: 61
Average Rank: 87.34

Change from 06/2012 to 12/2013: +6






Ava_G1.png

Avalanche:

Lowest Rank: 3
Highest Rank: 1
Average Rank: 1.02

Change from 06/2012 to 12/2013: 0






Don_G1.png

Donner:

Lowest Rank: 25
Highest Rank: 2
Average Rank: 8.87

Change from 06/2012 to 12/2013: +13






Kalt_G1.png

Kalt:

Lowest Rank: 130
Highest Rank: 19
Average Rank: 47.79

Change from 06/2012 to 12/2013: +66






Strand_G1.png

Strand:

Lowest Rank: 126
Highest Rank: 8
Average Rank: 41.19

Change from 06/2012 to 12/2013: -86
 
Last edited:
slow-clap-o.gif

Stormy my respect for you just keeps going up everytime you post something.
I remember when donner was #3 or so, those were happy days.
 
This is fairly superficial information. If you did a t-test to show us no real difference in mean server rankings for Anzio from start to finish i'd have given you props
 
Thanks guys, I think it makes a huge difference to see the server stats in the form of a graph.


This is fairly superficial information. If you did a t-test to show us no real difference in mean server rankings for Anzio from start to finish i'd have given you props

I don't see a need for inferential statistics in simple data relating to past server rankings-- it's not like I'm observing the mating habits of some slimy frog for a living.

Earn some mad "props" of your own by making any graphs, T-tests, Z-tests, or whatever else might make you happy. Feel free to contribute to the information I provided.

You have the opportunity to use your skill-set to further inform your fellow division members and maybe even improve the performance of our servers. Here is a link to all the data I used: LINK
 
Last edited:
^ Its easy to sit and shrug, even point your finger and say you didnt do enough. I think there is far to much of that already. The fact that someone not even from your division took the time to do this. Well done overall stormy. Information is always better than none at all.
 
That's pretty cool to look at stuff like this from that perspective.

Great work Stormy!
 
I'm not really sure what's going on, so stormy what was the point of the thread?

I could be wrong, but I think Anzio was getting dumped as a server, Right? Is this just an argument for Strand being the one to be replaced? Can't say I enjoy Strand more than Anzio so I'd be in favor of that, but I'd have to assume that a lot of this data was considered when making the initial decision (if that is what we're talking about haha)

Regardless, it's awesome that you took the time to compile all of the data so that everyone else can see what the deal is.

Thanks.

I didn't really have an objective when I started working on the graphs. I initially wanted to collate the information from the server rankings and see where it went. I planned on going into more detail by comparing my findings with other data sources and finding possible events, updates, or other patterns that led to noticeable changes in the ranks of various maps.

I still plan on adding to my work. If anyone is interested and wishes to contribute or recommend additions please don't hesitate to ask or post your work. I'll add it to the first post and credit you.

I think while working on this information what surprised me most is that when some maps took a dive in the ranking and then regained a few positions there was usually a comment like "Great job [map] is doing great!" only to see this pattern repeated again and again. I can't say I was any different, but it made it clear to me that seeing the ranks in numbers alone gives only a small glimpse to the server's actual status often overlooking important patterns and changes over time.

I believe that seeing the information as a complete graph instead of seeing only one piece of information at a time puts the server's status in a better perspective allowing for a more informed decision-making process. From what I can tell, this is the first time the server ranks have been presented in a continuous graph.

Unless I am mistaken, I don't believe that DoD leadership had or made a graph of this information. We can surmise that the decisions made regarding Strand, Anzio, and the possible rotation server were made using past and current server statistics via Megs rank thread, GameMe, and public opinion.


Regarding Anzio and Strand:

Although I think Strand has a better chance to succeed than Anzio ever had, this thread was not to discuss the two servers. I'm only presenting information supplied by Meg in a new format. That said, I'll now discuss Anzio and Strand.

After seeing the graphs take shape I couldn't help but feel that Strand has suffered at the cost of attempting to fill Anzio. Anzio has a number of fans within the DoD division, has received countless Steam notices to help fill the map, weekly recurring events, changes to the map's dynamics, and has not become self-sustaining since its creation over two years ago.

Conversely, Strand was once our #2 server, is largely disliked by most DoD members, received less events and notifications, and changes to the map were not widely known or discussed. Strand's decline became much worse since mid July when it was our #3 server, now it is our worst ranked server.

When the subject of creating a new rotation server and removing Anzio and Strand, it shocked me that a map that was our #3 server until five months ago would be put on the chopping block with a map that never rose past rank 61 in two years. I would have hoped Strand would have been given even half the attention and time Anzio received before discussing its removal.
 
Last edited:
Ladies and Gentlemen,
I went all YSD up in this [place] but after a while it was actually entertaining plugging in over 1800 values.
I went all YSD up in this [place] but after a while it was actually entertaining
I went all YSD up in this [place]...it was actually entertaining

Take notes everyone. This sentence is sacred text.

Nice work as usual Stormy. I agree with your statement of you going full YSD on this thing. Really informative stuff
 

Latest posts

Back
Top