[poll] Would class limits be better?

notsol337

Poster
Joined
May 3, 2007
Messages
154
Every time I've played on the gravelpit server I've had my enjoyment ruined by the red team either being all pyro, all engineer, or a mix thereof. The last match I played was just crazy not fun. If I walked anywhere near the entrances to cap C, I was shot by 4 guns and about 8 snipers, not to mention the random pyro burning me everywhere else. It just sucked all the fun out of tf2. The servers I played at before discovering the eGO tf2 servers had class limits turned on, which meant there wouldn't be an entire team of pyros camping B. I really enjoyed cracking a defense that was both good and not lame, instead of dying every 5 seconds without ever getting a shot off. Before I am countered by "Make an entire team of spies or medic/heavy combos" I'd just like to say that's boring. If that happens all the other team has to do is make a team full of the classes that obliterate the new team that was built to kill the other team!

It's called Team Fortress guys, not Pyro Fortress. WHAT SAY YOU?
 
I agree with you that it gets really annoying, but limiting the amount of a class a team could use would really be bad. People would start complaining to others saying, "I was here first!" etc.
I would just change servers.
 
Even though this topic has been brought up numerous times in the past, definitely not. We won't be limiting classes. That would be taking away the unique tactics that people come up with to help their team succeed.

As I have said before in previous posts:

[blockquote]Midway wrote...
I personally like everything the way it is. The ability to choose your desired class at all times is a good thing. Plus, after many, many hours of playtime, I have never once noticed anything wrong with the class limits.

I wouldn't enjoy it very much if it did happen. I don't want to be forced into a class that I'm not in the mood to play. Plus, I change classes every round, depending on what’s going on in battle. At the beginning of the round, I jump to Scout so I can get to the control points faster. After, I'll switch to Spy so I can take a look at the enemy setup, etc. I don't want to be locked into a class.

By limiting classes, you are eliminating team strategy. It's fun when your entire team is a Scout, running around from point to point trying to capture. It offers a wide range of gameplay. Yes, it might not be fun when you have few Medics with an Uber Charge on a Heavy, but that’s the way it can be sometimes. There's always away to counter it. It all comes down to teamwork, not class limitations.

In addition, it also keeps those players who tend to complain about [X player is not doing well with X class, please give it up].

Variety is GOOD, let's keep it that way.[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Midway wrote...
By limiting the classes, and assuming there will some players that will purposely lock in a class, it's just causing trouble.

I have personally seen an entire team go Scout and win a round in less than 15 seconds, which was amazing. Yes it was fast, but it was a strategy that worked at the time. After that, the opposing team had their own way of handling us, by setting up and waiting with Heavies.

If a team has a bunch of Engineers, so be it. The other team can attack them with Demomen. Think about it... endless possibilities for a team to think about and create different on-the-go strategies. Now that is GREAT! By limiting classes, you're elimating a ton of different strategies.

As for a lot of people taking up Spy, a simple solution for the opposing team to counter - Pyro. There is always a way around a situation. Each class has different strengths as well as weaknesses that can be exploited by other classes, but it's up to the team to use them to their advantage.[/blockquote]
 
If the council doesn't want to set up class limits, that's cool. It's not my server! Just be aware then that I'm probably not going to frequent the gravelpit server. It just bugs me to not enjoy my playtime.

As far as "playing a class you don't want to play as" I don't want to have to switch classes to counter a class. It's just not fun.
 
Go on Dustbowl with me :]. It gets filled really quick sometimes though.
 
The only limit I would like to see is Snipers on 2fort. Nearly 80% of snipers I see just stand on the battlements shooting other Snipers. That's simply wasting a player, when they could be sniping people coming over the bridge on the lower level. I'm fine with one or two snipers doing that, but when you have 5 snipers doing that something is going wrong.
 
I don't see a point in limiting classes, since it's unfair if you want to become soilder and you can since there's two people hogging that class. Plus notso theres a counter to every class. for example, if you want to pwn a pyro just chose soilder and blast them out of the sky, if you want to pwn a sniper just stab them in the back as a spy. It's easy! :D
 
I play demo no matter what. It would hack me off if I couldn't play my chosen class on a server just because a number of other people have already chosen it.

What if the limit cap is set to three, three people are already demos, and all three of those players are worthless at taking out sentries or holding points? Is the team that has those three bad/newbie demos just going to lose because they can't get a decent demo player in one of those three slots? Now think about that same situation with medics.
 
If you see a team full of pyros, you can generally bank on the fact that the other team had a heck of alot of spies beforehand. If there's more than 3 spies on the other team, I pretty much go pyro by default. Pyros shut down spies.

And engineers are supposed to guard final points. I tend to get annoyed when I dont see at least 2-3 at C on gravelpit. Scouts will eat C if there's no sentries.
I've really never seen more than 5 on a team. Most people dont have the patience to commit to sentry-building for more than a round or 2.

We dont need class limits. =\ Like Midway said, all it does it tend to create the hated dod guy: "give up the sniper you suck". Between you and me, I'd hate to have 3 terrible engies clogging up the engy spots.
 
notso, I'm sorry to say, but you might've been playing against me, Ruffian, and jniscool. =P

We had a period of time where we'd just gotten bored and agreed that it was a good day not to take the game seriously (as if I ever do)... So we kept convincing our entire team to run out as Engineers. Or Pyros. Or Spies. Or "Boxing" Heavies. We were actually surprised that we were winning so often. =/
 
I remember playing on a couple maps where the other team was all one class, the funnies being all medics and still beating us. This goes on the same line of making the other team for every inch they get, you have to come up with a group plan to move forward, yes it's frustrating, but you need to be the counter class to their class to get ahead. Limiting classes = a very sad kamikaze since I switch classes every 5 mins or so.
 
I always had more fun on class limit servers! Oh well. Like I said, I just won't play gravelpit that often. Or dustbowl apparently.
 
[quote1199651640=The S Inspector]
The only limit I would like to see is Snipers on 2fort. Nearly 80% of snipers I see just stand on the battlements shooting other Snipers. That's simply wasting a player, when they could be sniping people coming over the bridge on the lower level. I'm fine with one or two snipers doing that, but when you have 5 snipers doing that something is going wrong.
[/quote1199651640]

Well, the thing is: You can't shoot at people coming over the bridge when there's a sniper who's about to take your head off, ya? Sniper meet counter-sniper. Just like every other class.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top