I have returned!

Spectre GT

Rookie
Joined
Aug 7, 2013
Messages
94
Sup fellas and ladies!


It's been awhile (5 months) but I'm back!
For those of you who knew about the big news, it's a girl! Born 8 pounds, 5 ounces and 21" and very healthy, she's now almost 6 months old and is definitely a daddy's girl!

In other news, I'm working on a new rig! This rig is mainly for both work (I own a studio) and gaming, and just having my own dream machine (now that I have the opportunity to finally build it), but remember -- your rig doesn't have to be like mine, and I'm not recommending that you purchase any of these parts as we all have our own needs and preferences for a rig!
I won't be gaming a bunch until then; but here's the full parts list so far:

Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II (Black) ATX Ultra Tower
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti (Classified K|NGP|N Edition) x 2 (2-Way SLI)
MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400
Storage 1: Samsung 840 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" SSD
Storage 2: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" SSD
Storage 3: Sandisk ReadyCache 32GB 2.5" SSD
Storage 4: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Sound Card: Asus Xonar Phoebus 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card
PSU: Antec 1300W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit
Display: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor

Peripherals: Razer DeathStalker Wired Gaming Keyboard, Razer Taipan Wired Laser Mouse, (haven't decided on HD sound system yet)

Includes plans for water cooling system (all EK parts) as well as case mod and additional visual effects.


Price (before taxes): Around $6000+ USD


Any further recommendations to beefing it up even more are welcome!
 
Last edited:
I still don't know half the stuff 8.1 has now. Still confusing.

And welcome back
 
Windows 8 isn't THAT bad, but it could use a better guide on start-up. It just takes a little bit to get used to.
 
I heard Mircrosoft gave up on windows 8 and started working on windows 9.

btw, welcome back!
 
Well this parts list isn't final, quite a few things are due to come out this year (including Maxwell GPUs and Haswell-E CPUs), however Windows 8 uses RAM more efficiently than Windows 7 does - which is very important for my line of work, Windows 8 has a lot faster boot time, and Windows 7 only has partial support for Direct3D 11.1 while Windows 8 has full support.
And it's completely safe to presume that Windows 8 is easily more "future proof" while Windows 7 is becoming far more obsolete, even if we do see a more similar GUI to Windows 7 with Windows 9 OEM... But there are far too many more things to consider other than just a GUI, as GUI comparisons for the most part are solely based on personal preference.

I'd wait for Windows 9, but that isn't due to release until Q2 of 2015 and I'm just not going to wait that long for something that I can just easily upgrade to later.
Irregardless, I could be running any OS from ancient times to present day and I highly doubt it would degrade the performance of this machine to a level of the most common custom rigs priced at around $3k and below. $5k is even a big step down.

This IS an enthusiast rig and excluding [ame="http://youtu.be/xnkCNGs-oTQ"]The World's Top Custom Gaming Rig at $16k[/ame]
I just don't see anything toppling it anytime soon, especially considering the fact that, by the time I actually purchase everything, I'll have made upgrades to this parts list as better parts come out... And after I have my rig, I will also be making upgrades to the Haswell-E CPU, skipping Broadwell, and then upgrading to the Skylake CPU ('tick-tock'), and probably even the Maxwell GPU (if it isn't out already), as soon as they come out.
But if you happen to find better performing parts than what's in this list, excluding $2k GPUs & CPUs, be sure to tell me so I can be sure to buy it.


And thanks for the warm welcomes!
 
Last edited:
Sounds like extreme overkill. And as far as intel. I would move into the amd world.

AMD: The poor man's performance parts.
I used to be all about AMD, before I realized that when you get higher up to the "high-end" parts; Intel cruds on anything AMD has. You can even check the benchmarks. Of course, a major focus of mine will be overclocking, so these benchmarks here should do good justice in slightly representing what we'll be looking at with my rig. When it comes to overclocking a high-end processor that's already at the very top of the benchmarks, AMD doesn't even hold a candle to Intel. This is why I'll be able to run my i7-4770K Haswell at 5.0 GHz with water cooling, granted I get a good enough chip running at a low enough stock voltage.
AMD is already notorious for having issues with their parts running way too hot, and heat management is very crucial when we start getting into the "big rigs" like mine; though while AMD is likely going to stay in the game for awhile, even their new "Mantle" technology isn't going to have anything over on Intel or Nvidia - especially when we start getting into the higher end CPU and GPU charts. Least to say, times are very rough for AMD right now. To my knowledge, AMD's latest Kaveri APU, arguing with only 28nm, 2 MB x 2 cache, and only 4 threads and 2 cores, versus the Haswell's 22nm, 8MB cache, 8 threads and 4 cores, only competes with the Haswell i5 while it isn't even at the "welcome mat" with the Haswell i7. And which Intel unit does AMD have in their sights? None other than the i7-4770K! Isn't that something? I find that hilarious, because if you remember, Nvidia is about to release the new Maxwell (GTX 800 series) GPU and AMD is still stuck on their "Titan Killer" R9 290X (micro-stutter, anyone?), and Intel is working off of Haswell, Haswell-E will be released Q3 of this year, Broadwell will be the next "tick" in Intel's "tick-tock" and then Skylake will be the next heavy-hitting batter up from Intel... And I won't even have to change out my MOBO for a different socket! :biggrin:
So essentially, for ages now Intel has had their competition with AMD lined up and prepared way, way ahead of time; AMD releases new technology (Kaveri) is finally market-comparable to Intel's latest technology that has reigned at the top for about the past 3-5 years (Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Haswell); Intel then responds by releasing something that beats what AMD releases (Haswell-E), and then they release something that just obliterates it (Skylake).

So until Haswell-E, the LGA 1150 Intel i7-4770K is safely presumable as the most advanced, 'future-proof' CPU on the market; and then we're likely to see very vast improvements with Skylake.

And as far as "future proofing," Intel isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Besides, more power doesn't even mean "better performance"; We saw that with AMD's R9 290X "Titan Killer" when it drew in more frames and more power than the GTX 780 Titan but ran way too hot with the reference cooler.
Then Nvidia, being the boss they are, laughed in AMD's face with an ever-so "that's cute" expression and released the GTX 780 Ti, which currently stands as the absolute best single card solution - and still supports SLI.

Overall AMD is good, but the fact is even their best 8 core CPU's are priced in the same range as Intel's i7's, and the I7's still show slightly better gaming performance, and much better computing performance (for recording/sound/web-design/graphic-design studios like mine).
AMD GPU's are also not bad, but I'm looking for the best there is... and at this stage, the 780 Ti is it.

Yeah, my rig is extreme overkill... but I'm not looking to upgrade my entire rig for a long time either, and it's well within my budget ;)
 
Last edited:
Why do we have to be poor? Why can't we just be frugal?

Who says you have to be poor? And who says that I'm not frugal? ;)

You ever see a $16k custom build before?
[ame="http://youtu.be/xnkCNGs-oTQ"]http://youtu.be/xnkCNGs-oTQ[/ame]


UPDATE: My rig will cost me around $6k, and that's after a ton of shopping around and finding all deals on nearly every part.
 
Last edited:
You posted that video earlier in this thread lol. That was a nice looking build, too bad I don't have that kind of money to throw around!
 
You posted that video earlier in this thread lol.
And? lol You mean you didn't get the point of me reposting it?

That was a nice looking build, too bad I don't have that kind of money to throw around!
Which build? The $16k one?
Yeah, but the difference between mine and that one is that many of the specs in his build aren't as good or as powerful as the specs in mine. This guy put a lot more money into aesthetics (he's an artist, look him up), while I'm focused on solely performance, future-proofing, and then aesthetics :thumbup:

If I put as much into aesthetics as he, and I put 4 of my GPU into my rig like he did in his, my machine would cost a bit more than his; And I feel that's going way, wayyy over The Law of Diminishing Returns for my level of comfort, as I'd rather not spend too much more on something that doesn't even potentially push out more performance & convenience, or anything that won't maintain longevity; so who says I'm not being frugal? :laugh:
 
Last edited:
6k seems ridiculous to spend on a computer. When for 2k your going to get something just fine thats going to last for a very long time. I dont know. Maybe you just have a nice job and money to waste. As for me I wouldnt spend a dime over 2k. Let alone 6k good god. I can get something worthwhile for that money. Car parts,guns. Hell even something nice for the house.
 
Welcome back, congratulations on your brand new kid, and I hope to see the computer once it's built.

I was looking at the parts list you posted and I was wondering if the SanDisk ReadyCache is even needed if you plan to install your OS to the other SSD you have listed. Your post was the first I've heard of a ReadyCache, from the store's description it seems like its a second piece of hardware for caching data you already have on a traditional HDD (kinda like the Game Genie for the Nintendo except the SSD makes your junk run faster, not give you cheats for Double Dragon).

I run my OS and some games on my 128GB SSD, the rest of my downloads and games are on my 2TB HDD, would there be any benefit to getting a ReadyCache?

P.S. Maybe you should put a few bucks on the side to buy Arma 3 (and join us Fri. and Sat. during our Arma events).
 
Back
Top