- Joined
- Oct 2, 2008
- Messages
- 4,354
Maybe this isn't new but because I mainly only play on eGO servers, it's just making its way to us but I am seeing a growing trend in players using autism and Asperger's as an insult. Pretty much every play session I have, I hear this now on our servers.
Because I have personal experience with this and also have worked with many autism spectrum kids as a youth coach, I'd like to say a few things.
First, I don't think that anyone from our community is doing this but if you are, stop right now. It's horribly offensive and you're making yourself look ignorant.
So on that note... when people use this as an insult, it doesn't even make any sense. Nearly all autistic people are very electronically savvy and most are very adept at computers. In fact, computers are a major tool in autism symptom treatment and some people with ASD who are non-verbal (can't speak) use computers to communicate.
My autistic son has a genius level IQ, insane hand-eye coordination and savant skills at beating video games. He goes through games like people go through underwear because he beats them/ grows bored with them so quickly. Pretty much every autistic person under the age of 25 I have ever met has been insanely good at video games.
So saying "It's really Aspergery in here tonight" or "This server is so full of autism" as an insult is just about as ignorant as one can get.
In fact, it's so dumb, I'm not even offended by it. But I see this trend growing like whoever decided to bring back the use of the word "scrub" (hey, the 90s called; they want their word back) so I just thought I'd say something since I know not everyone has experience with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
The more you know and all that...
This concludes your PSA for the day. I now return you to your regularly scheduled broadcasting.
Because I have personal experience with this and also have worked with many autism spectrum kids as a youth coach, I'd like to say a few things.
First, I don't think that anyone from our community is doing this but if you are, stop right now. It's horribly offensive and you're making yourself look ignorant.
So on that note... when people use this as an insult, it doesn't even make any sense. Nearly all autistic people are very electronically savvy and most are very adept at computers. In fact, computers are a major tool in autism symptom treatment and some people with ASD who are non-verbal (can't speak) use computers to communicate.
My autistic son has a genius level IQ, insane hand-eye coordination and savant skills at beating video games. He goes through games like people go through underwear because he beats them/ grows bored with them so quickly. Pretty much every autistic person under the age of 25 I have ever met has been insanely good at video games.
So saying "It's really Aspergery in here tonight" or "This server is so full of autism" as an insult is just about as ignorant as one can get.
In fact, it's so dumb, I'm not even offended by it. But I see this trend growing like whoever decided to bring back the use of the word "scrub" (hey, the 90s called; they want their word back) so I just thought I'd say something since I know not everyone has experience with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
The more you know and all that...

This concludes your PSA for the day. I now return you to your regularly scheduled broadcasting.


























