Bad Company 2 Team participation vs. Extraordinary death rate

Tikkun Olam

The Rude Canuck
Joined
Sep 18, 2013
Messages
266
Seriously though...I die a lot, so I try to make up for it by always dropping an ammo box when I spawn on someone (and leave, when it's a recon), compulsively spot, tag at every opportunity even when I'm not an engineer, revive when I can, and repair on the run.

Depending on the group of people that are on the server, the priority is either flags or kills. I haven't had much grief over it, but sometimes when the kd is 7/28 or something, I get a little paranoid that I'm pulling down the 'team'.

Btw...I'm never really worried so much about a 'bad' team when I play. The whole thing is pretty random. Sometimes you're lucky and have a good clique for a round and sometimes you don't. I don't see why people complain about who they're playing with...as if they've failed a cunning plan, carefully put into place. A Black Adder situation if ever there was one.

It's a good server to play on. It's almost always grief-free, and people try to play as a team as much as they can even, for want of a better term, outsiders. Looks good on the admins, I suppose. Players seem to sense it too, maybe. It's certainly a social improvement over any servers I used to randomly play on.

Tips are good.

Y..
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Straight up, Yoo!

I will be honest, I don't typically play to be on a winning team. I just play to have fun, even if the team I'm on is base-locked in the uncap. Fun is still possible in a situation like that.


However, what does make the community enjoyable is the variety of playing styles out there!
 
Btw...I'm never really worried so much about a 'bad' team when I play. The whole thing is pretty random. Sometimes you're lucky and have a good clique for a round and sometimes you don't. I don't see why people bitch and complain about who they're playing with...as if they've failed a cunning plan, carefully put into place.

Anyone who sees me play will see that I'm not as worried about k/d as I am about w/l. Not sure why, but the team that I'm on (or at least the squad sometimes) make a difference. Conquest is about attack, and the Heavy Metal map can be dominated by a team that spots and never lets up.

As a result, the "style" of players can be an aggravating factor for me, but there's always another game coming. In the meantime, perhaps I can engage in a "teaching exercise" by goading the team forward.

Papa
 
You know everyone has their own playing style. Some even like to just sit in choppers and rack up kills. The game is no doubt better if you have a team that pushes forward and helps each other out. However sometimes the games are one sided and you have to fight for your spot. Either way have fun and do as much damage as you can as the tickets run out. My favorite is when i am base locked to load my jeep up with c4 and ram the first tank i see or do some road kills. Other times i like to sneak past everyone and take the furthest flag to help get some ground for my team. You are correct though Yoomanist that players do keep coming back regardless of playing styles.
 
My k/d is usually pretty bad, but when I can hop into a tank with kol and actually help my team by killing people or calling out soldiers I'm happy :)
 
Thanks guys. I really haven't had any negative feedback about it but I thought I'd ask anyway.

When I play it's all about holding flags, but when I spawn is when I notice the score on each side...the team I'm on could be losing 45 to 260 but we're holding more flags more often, or vice versa. Once I'm on the ground again I sorta forget about the numbers and concentrate on the flags.

Parked helo's kind of piss me off, actually, but it's often that the hind and blackhawk both sit in the base doing nothing at all, so I guess that's fair enough.

I like to run to the far flags too to break up their forces. Yet another way I die a lot, but it's hard to argue with a good diversion. lol

There's a difference between goading your team on "come on you assholes! B fer chrissakes!!!" and bitching about how poor and stupid they are, like "worse team ever" "My team sucks" "I'm losing because my team can't play worth shit"...that kind of stuff. You do ok, Papa....heh. I am a little surprised to see how many times it comes from 50-level members, though.
 
As said, some players have different styles and you have to play to suit your style. I do enjoy flying helicopters, but I feel I do better as an agent of chaos on the ground doing the grunt work. I always attempt to spot my targets before firing my weapon. I will take advantage of targets of opportunity if reward outweighs risk, else I will spot it and let the team handle it. Picking your battles so to speak. If you value your kdr, or your ammunition, sometimes it best to let people closer to your target get the kill, or those more able. The weapon load you choose can go a long way too. I despise the Land Krakens and the Terror turbines in equal measure therefore as engineer my weapon of choice is the at4, c4 for both assault and recon. I also recommend the G3, as it is a fair all around weapon.

My definition of a good game is not dead set on winning but it is nice. My true preference is actually controlling b. If I can't even manage to get near b then I cannot claim to be a happy camper. B generally has the best fighting.
 
Nice discussion, guys. I really like the teamwork aspect of BFBC2 the best. It doesn't happen every round but when it does, it's really fun. One of the best times I had was being a medic for a bunch of snipers on a ridge. I haven't really found another game that has it the same kind of team play.

For a long time I was extremely frustrated with the game, though. It took me a while to figure out that my scores were not all that much in my control. Little weaknesses in the physics, and lucky shots, and blasting away at the places players normally hide, being on the stronger or weaker team, all that stuff contributes along with the fact that I am old and slow. I do get frustrated with the one-sided battles, especially when I'm on the weaker team for several rounds in a row. The best ones to me are the back-and-forth ones, the perennial battle for B.
 
Yoomanist, well said. Couldn't of said it better myself. I definitely agree with the comments about all of the bitchin' and complaining, even from some in our own clans. I take my gaming seriously, but not to the point that I belittle or judge/condemn everyone else. Players that act that way need a vacation from the game. It's no longer fun for them.
I am more concerned about everyone else's K/D ratio than my own. I'm a "support" guy so my focus is on spotting, darting, repairing, re-supplying and healing. Even as an Assault class I carry darts instead of a pistol, with no follow up weapon for homing. The appeal is thinking through the strategies and being pitted against other players, not AI. That's all of the fun. And it is possible due to great server administration, and the love of our game. And to all of the griefers, haters, and generally PO'd players: LIGHTEN UP AND HAVE A GOOD TIME!!!
 

Latest posts

Back
Top