Is CS:S Slowing my Internet?

weedwacker1

I made one post
Joined
Feb 21, 2014
Messages
18
Hello everyone. A few years ago I moved to Verizon FIOS Internet and had a lot of issues with the modem having trouble supporting CS:S. The server refresh would fill the modem's tables and my Internet would slow down significantly. It was a known issue and Verizon finally pushed an update out to resolve that.

Now I'm on Comcast and I get 57Mbps DL/15Mbps UL with essentially no ping jitter...until I play CS:S. Then it seems as though I'm lagging but my ping is 37-ish. I'll quit the game and my speed is ~2Mbps UL/5Mbps DL and ping jitter is 130ms which is horrible. A hard reset of the Comcast modem fixes this but it will recur when I play CS:S.

This began only about a week ago...maybe less, has anyone else noticed this and is there anything I can do short of buying a new modem at BestBuy? Thanks.
 
I was going to ask that, Also when is the last time you cleaned it?
 
Yes, I've done numerous hard reboots of the modem and my computer. I finally brought my modem outside and connected it directly to the cable coming in from Comcast before it enters my home and checked speed with my iPad and it was bad which eliminated everything in my home. I have a Comcast tech coming to my house Wednesday to check everything out but I wanted to prove it wasn't anything I was responsible for paying for (e.g. Comcast owns the underground cabling and I'm renting the modem from them so they own that too). Thanks.
 
Yes, I've done numerous hard reboots of the modem and my computer. I finally brought my modem outside and connected it directly to the cable coming in from Comcast before it enters my home and checked speed with my iPad and it was bad which eliminated everything in my home. I have a Comcast tech coming to my house Wednesday to check everything out but I wanted to prove it wasn't anything I was responsible for paying for (e.g. Comcast owns the underground cabling and I'm renting the modem from them so they own that too). Thanks.

Do you have a laptop, Ipads cap sometimes so don't check with that.
 
Do you have a laptop, Ipads cap sometimes so don't check with that.

I think you're right...the iPad (mini retina) pegged at ~26Mbps DL and 11.5Mbps UL which I took to be better but still not good. I checked with my wired desktop and it's been rock solid 57Mbps DL and 11.5Mbps UL and the ping/jitter test came back with a rating of "A".

I guess there was something squirrelly with the connection from Comcast to the house and me playing with it "fixed" it. Funny thing is it's been fine until last week and gets better after modem reset but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Appreciate the guidance...the funny thing is now that my ping and throughput are good, your rewards will be friendly gunshot wounds in CounterStrike:Source :)

Thanks again.
 
Sometimes i'd get a 35 Ping and still lag, usually some people... will have their pings "over 9000" on the server and yup that will do it.
 
Last edited:
Type net_graph 1 in consol to see your real ping


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Ya, Talking with the two internet companys i have, Comcast and Mediacom. I found out something and yet sadly to test it. Xbox one, PS3, PS4, Xbox, I-things, All have a cap when speed testing due to the people who wrote the sepeedtest sight made it so you go to another test sight, To allways get true speed test it va a PC, Also i found android devices (some) give you true speeds.
 
My ping stays between 35 - 40 via net_graph. While playing I ran a speedtest and got 57Mbps/12Mbps so speeds good. Maybe this is behind me now...
 
I did some reading and I may be experiencing "choke". Not sure if something changed recently with the servers but I tweaked a few settings and it seems to have gotten better and is within acceptable levels; I'm back to a 1:2 KD ratio which is good enough for me to have fun...
 
Back
Top