TF2 changes revealed

owl johnson

Rookie
Joined
Dec 23, 2007
Messages
42
Sorry if it's old. Heres the thread on steam forums discussing it.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646514

For the lazy...

Referred to as a 'large-scale modification' by the developer, it turns out it's unlockable weapons that are set to be made available to each of the game's nine classes.

"The first Medic unlock, for example, is called the Overhealer.Instead of temporarily buffing people's health to 50 percent above their normal maximum, it permanently boosts them to double their standard health. The downside is that it'll be dramatically worse at building Ubercharge - in fact, Valve are toying with not letting it Uber at all."

PC Gamer explains, "One team must escort a small mining cart through a series of Dustbowl-like map segments. The cart moves faster the more Blue players are near it, but stops entirely if even one Red player is in range. Blue have to escort the cart all the way to Red's headquarters within a certain time limit".



As a medic I'm not looking forward to people spamming medic when at full health even more just because they want a buff :p
 
kinda stupid.... i dont like any of the ideas.....

I say they add new weapons and u have to unlock them!

like the Medics Drug shot, get that by uber 15 times in 1 match! :)
 
oh man this is the real deal, thx for the link! 2 new items and 2 unlockables per class perhaps? OMG !!! I WANT IT NOW!!
 
Sounds interesting, but I don't like it. I've always liked TF2 because all the players had the same stuff. The only difference in 2 players of the same class, was the player skill.
 
[quote1201101662=owl johnson]

PC Gamer explains, "One team must escort a small mining cart through a series of Dustbowl-like map segments. The cart moves faster the more Blue players are near it, but stops entirely if even one Red player is in range. Blue have to escort the cart all the way to Red's headquarters within a certain time limit".

[/i][/quote1201101662]
that sounds REALLY familiar..
i remember a modder on another forum was in the process of making a custom map for a valve game with the same concept with the cart, and it had to have a certain number of people to move it.. had a video of a long track and if you get in the cart automatically moves

i wonder what theyll do for the sniper, hopefully itll be something to counter pyros, spies and solis
 
[quote1201104478=owl johnson]
As a medic I'm not looking forward to people spamming medic when at full health even more just because they want a buff :p
[/quote1201104478]


LORD YES I hate this!!! When I play medic I try to constantly jump from one guy to the next... if you run infront of me and I see your health down I will try my best to get ya.. and then all the sudden sombody yells MEDIC...you leave the battle to find him and he is in full health and running out of the spawn!

I can see this getting worse!
 
This sounds really interesting. The mine cart map sounds similar to a Wolfenstein Enemy Territory map in which you had to ride in a tank while it moves accross the map. The unlockables may make the game a lot more interesting, and I'm sure there will be a server option to disable them and play the original style if need be. I just wish the needle gun and the poison effect, that would be awesome. Looking forward to the excitement =)
 
Yes, maybe bring back the "infection" from the medic of old... this would make it MANDATORY for teams to have maybe 2 medics to heal infected teammates... though I'm not sure if it should "spread" though that might be good too =)

I'm learning medic now to lend support to my battlemates on the servers... been at it a little while... but not yet upto speed (esp on the ubers yet).. so don't hate me. =) Hopefully I'll be an MD before too long =)
 
i personally think they should leave the medic healing alone, i think its perfect :D
 
i made an uber long post on steam forums about the patch, thought id put it here too since, well anyways.


First of all I think that as it is, TF2 is an extremely balanced game. with nine classes it probably took em a long time to balance it that well. Hence, I have full faith in them naturally.

The way I see it is that the classes arnt getting more 'powerful' with new weapons and layouts or whatever. If each class gets 2 new options from the beginning, then the way I see it, we now have 27 classes to choose from.

This incredibly increases the amount of strategy that is involved in this game which makes MrFroho a happy hobbit. The game is massively based on Skill but now instead of just having good trigger fingers we have to have a game plan.

1 team may be unbalanced skillwize and be winning every round. but if the other team sees where they are weak and decide to get a MedicB, 3 SoldierC's, 2 DemoA's, HeavyC, and a MedicA, with such a combination of complimenting abilities, the strategy will outway the skill required. oh man im getting exciting just thinking about it. (somehow reminds me of guildwars)

also with achievements, I think everyones over reacting about people grinding for hours. Sure when its released most servers will have like 80% medics, but have you guys seen the achievements? At first I was disappointed at how easy they were, but now I see that that was a smart move on Valves part.

Like 4 of the Achievements were: Get an Assist kill with a Demo, Get an Assist kill with a Heavy, Get an Assist kill with a Soldier,Get an Assist kill with a Scout. Another achievement was to just simply kill a scout with a needle gun. These achievements are easy, some might be harder, but to get at least half should take less than an hour of play time. And it wont be a grind, for me at least, seeing a global message saying I completed an achievement is pretty tight.

As far as Overheal Medic, I love the idea. First my thoughts is that for sure the Overhealer shouldnt have Ubercharge and also overhealing should get slower and slower as they get closer to 200% health. as for how balanced it is: just imagine the game, its time to storm the middle on granary, lets have 2 overhealers for a strong push. 10 mins later: Aright guys we need to push them off our second point, they have a few sentries, medics switch to uber medics and lets uber push the point and cap it again, then swtich back to overhealers for a stronger push. OMGAWD I cant imagine how much endless the possibilties will be.

And as far as new players to the game I would like to quote Manuzza,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuzza
4. As far as not letting new players get these weapon choices - great! Newcomers to the game can get the "simpler" version of TF2 without having to make weapon choices (they already have enough choices to make as it is). They don't have to think about the more advanced strategies that they allow. But by the time they earn the alternative weapons they will no longer be noobs and will be more able to use them!

Just my 2c.

Manuzza.
Valve has really impressed me with the way they have balanced this game so far, and with the new stuff I have no doubt that this game is about to get a hell of a lot better.

And just for fun, here are some of the thoughts of what new stuff i think will come

. Demo might get his dynamit pack back
. Spys might get the chioce to have feign death, man i love feign death
. medics might get the poison syringe (in tfc a medkit) back!!
. Soldier perhaps multishot
. Sniper maybe tracker, some type of device that allows him to see enemies names and hp bars, or perhaps he could have the ability to parasite targets (like in natural selection)
. Heavys might get to choose a different heavy weapon, im thinking it will be more powerful but will have overheat.
. Pyros can probably choose between 2 flamethrowers
. Engineers perhaps a new buildings or differently customized sentries
. maybe Demo mans stickies can stick to peopel lolool
. Spys might be able to set up dummies that look like baloons dolls, but to the enemies they look like real enemies haha
. Scout might get the rail gun back!

anyways, I read all the pages and I felt i had to comment, so I registered and this is my first post. just my 3 cents.
 
The reason I do not like this, is that this is making it more like COD4.

What I like about current tf2 is that, say I am a soldier and I kill another soldier. I know that I was able to do that because I was better, not because I had the new uber rocket or something that they didnt.

It was balanced, the variables were only teamwork and skill.
 
I'm interested to see what they do to the new weapons. If the current weapon sets are considered "baseline", as long as the new weapon sets have an attribute which is better AND an attribute to make it worse (EX: double distance of the pyro but half the damage and does not set on fire or a Spy detector device for the engie, but that replaces the Sentry option or a solider with multishot, but each shot does less damage) then it should be okay. I agree with DrMarvin42, if all they do is make these new weapons to be uberweapons, then that just screws everything up.

Here's hoping they keep the game mechanics balanced with the update.
 
I am eager to see what new weapon the heavy will get, but I'm not so sure about the overhealer...

When I play as a medic, my work healing people is already tough as it is. With probably everybody on the team yelling "MEDIC" for the double health will probably quadruple the healing medics will need to do. But then again it might be worth the effort. But my uber probably won't be charged by the end of setup !sad
 
The old dustbowl was basically take a flag to a capture point, much like push the cart to a point. Also, there are ET:QW levels like that. Sounds... fun!.
 
Back
Top