I was reading this article on how the points work - I'm assuming it still works the same way, so apologies if the numbers/system has changed.
With the way the numbers work, idling on a server for a minimum of 45 minutes gains a server 30 points max. Anything more time than 45 minutes is wasted, as 45 points is the max you can get (server lost 15 points upon joining).
So, ideal situation, you idle on a server for 45 minutes, people start joining, a game starts, everyone has fun, and the server rank goes up (well, down, technically speaking). But we don't always get an ideal situation. I've noticed that people will join a server expecting to see someone on, and then find there's only a person idling. So they leave. There goes 15 points for the server. If two people do that, the 30 points gained by idling are now gone. If any more people join, we can start losing points. In this situation, idling is actually counter-productive.
So what I'm wondering is if idling in general is useful or not, and whether there's a better way to try and handle it so that we can positively affect the servers without the potential for losing points?
With the way the numbers work, idling on a server for a minimum of 45 minutes gains a server 30 points max. Anything more time than 45 minutes is wasted, as 45 points is the max you can get (server lost 15 points upon joining).
So, ideal situation, you idle on a server for 45 minutes, people start joining, a game starts, everyone has fun, and the server rank goes up (well, down, technically speaking). But we don't always get an ideal situation. I've noticed that people will join a server expecting to see someone on, and then find there's only a person idling. So they leave. There goes 15 points for the server. If two people do that, the 30 points gained by idling are now gone. If any more people join, we can start losing points. In this situation, idling is actually counter-productive.
So what I'm wondering is if idling in general is useful or not, and whether there's a better way to try and handle it so that we can positively affect the servers without the potential for losing points?
























