FPS nightmare

Shaman?

I made one post
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
11
Alright so I know that I'm not running the greatest of systems and that being said will effect the gameplay.

Current specs are as follows

Intel Pentium D 840 (It is a dual core) 3.2Ghz (<--- Yes this is stock lol)
4Gb (Board Max) DDR2 667
250Gb Seagate HDD
XFX AMD Radeon? HD 7770 1000MHZ 1GB GDDR5

I've right now got the resolution set to 1024x768 in windowed mode.

While this isn't the greatest of systems it should be able to get more than 30-50 fps in full screen on all low settings considering that the game itself recommends med-high settings. I didn't really pay anything for this system (other than 50$ for gfx card) and I'm planning on upgrading everything sometime soon (except getting a crossfire board and another 7770). In the mean time what can I do to get better fps? I've seen config after config but really I don't want to cannibalize the graphics that badly.


Note: I'm posting this here because it is pretty much only CSS that I'm having this issues. DODS has no issues and stays around 50-70 fps with a nearly full server and screen @ 1280x1024 in fullscreen..
 
Well, I've been having low FPS for an eternity, so there's that. CSS doesn't seem to be very well optimized. But, what can you expect for a game thats about 6+ years old.

Also, consider heading to the Tech forums: http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=377

Also, it might (doubtful) be your monitor manually capping out.

Should mention that I'm running Intel Pentiums at about 1.8 GHz.

Oh the joys of an old laptop.....
 
Last edited:
Definitely need a better processor to go with that 7770. That may fix some performance issues. Pentiums aren't the best gaming processors, though they can get the job done it's typically not the best idea to pair that sort of processor up with a mid-high end graphics card such as the 7770.

If Day of Defeat runs just fine and CS:S is having issues, it's definitely the game, not your PC. I'd do the basic troubleshooting stuff:

1) Reinstall CS:S
2) Check and make sure your drivers are updated (I have a 7870 and I'm running 13.12 which is just fine. MC doesn't work on version 14 yet so I'm waiting for AMD to fix this)
3) Check for simple things; i.e. Windows updates, game updates, etc.

I have a Pentium D 2.53 GHz myself with no graphics card (just onboard). With your GPU/CPU combo I'm guessing the card is being bottlenecked because you have a powerful card with a lower end processor. Not too sure because I can't take a look at the PC myself.
 
There is no reason your system shouldn't be doing well above that. I would start with drivers for your gpu, but more importantly, console commands, i.e. fps_max 300. The game caps at 300. You could also run a config which removes all unnecessary things like dead bodies, sprites, etc. I would also lower your resolution to something less taxing on the gpu. What version directx? I think if you are using 11, that would be a big problem for a 10 year old game. Hope this helped!
 

Latest posts

Back
Top