GameJam 2014, Vote for my video game please!!

Zelda

EGO Addict
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
1,389
Hi guy's, My small team worked are asses off with this game jam and was wondering if anyone can help out. It's simple really..
I know our game is not the best, but if you guys could go give us a rating and feed back (Please please 3 stars and up..) if not that's really fine

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/641094?updated=1


We are trying hard to win first place with is 500$ and a free business license of the program we used.
 
Yay. A waiting game.
This is my first ever criticism of this game. More will follow as I very slowly progress through it.
*a while later*
Look, if this game is playable, I would rate it. But this 'game' is pretty much unplayable, due to its 'waiting' nature.
Even the concept is pretty terrible! It's fast enough not to keep you waiting hours or even days like FarmVille does, but it's too slow to be interesting. I plant the crops, then... wait. There isn't even an indicator to show when the crops are done! Something like a slightly greener background of that certain crop square to show if that crop is ready to harvest would be nice.
You also might want to make the graphics better. Aesthetically, this game is horrible. The plant sprites are fine, I give you that, but the Arial font, coupled with the plain green background of the UI, the repeating pattern background of the game itself, the plain brown tiled plots and the big blue bloody bin are horrendous. It's like something out of a 1990s system! What I would do is at least give the plots and the bin some "texture". Even a simple combination of gradients would be a large enough upgrade to it.
The UI is confusing. Seriously, if you are gonna make a game, please don't use text boxes. If anything, you can use buttons and scrollable lists (where the buttons reside) for the UI. I'm sure you can find those code resources on some website.
Or, if you're too lazy (and if I'm correct in assuming that you guys used Flash to make this): http://www.freeactionscript.com/
So, in short:
1. Fix the gameplay. The controls are too confusing. Put some sort of control scheme for us in small text at the bottom/top of the screen.
2. Upgrade the graphics (really big change. I know)
3. Put in a better UI (even bigger change)

EDIT: I just realized, everything's on the same page. You seriously need a tutorial screen, where you show the controls, like plant some crops, make us scroll around the page with WASD to see what else we have (the horrible-looking bin), give us some info, get us back to the crops, teach us how to harvest them and put them in the bin and whatnot.
EDIT 2: Oh, and make the soundtrack loop better. Just a minor issue.
EDIT 3: Another thing... what's the point of this game again? Once I can get Cauliflower seeds the game is over! I got storage, I got thousands of credits, filled up my plots, what's the point?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top