Matz in 'murica - What should I do?

Matz

Poster Extraordinaire
=(e)=
Joined
Aug 28, 2008
Messages
2,365
I'm going to LA and San Francisco in August. Apart from the obvious studios and Disney, where should I go?

Also, what restaurants, no idea where to eat, but would like to try some actual mexican too as I will be so close.

ALSO, going to see Oakland Raiders VS Detroit Lions, so will be able to scout out some top pick FF players ;)

Hopefully your country is as good as it sounds.
 
You'll probably enjoy San Fran more than LA. do NOT wear Detroit Lions colors at the Oakland game, thats a stabbing waiting to happen. Come to GA so we can hang out.
 
Just NEVER wear a Detroit Lion's uniform. j/k.

LA is nice too if you know where to go. You can travel 15-30 min outside of LA and hit some really nice areas, obviously, outside the beaches. Make sure you hit the Yardhouse, a nice bar/restaurant. They have a whole bunch of international and domestic beers on tap.

It's usually one of the places I always stop by when I travel there. I also, obviously stop by In&Out Burgers. I have a few friends in Malibu so I hang out around that area, if you do get to get there, its amazingly beautiful there.

San Francisco is completely different from LA. I love LA but I LOVE San Francisco. There's so much to do from Fisherman's Wharf, to Alcatraz, to running the golden gate bridge. If you have time, the San Francisco Bay has a ship that travels along the bay. It was a black tie affair for me, but I'm sure regular events are not as extravagant. They do serve dinner, wine bar, and beers on tap.

Enjoy your trip!
 
Yeah, we've been told to avoid the violent areas...some place called tenderloin? I'm going to be Oakland all the way, so should be fine :)

Yardhouse is on the list now, and In&Out will be definite too, everyone keeps talking about it.

Thanks for the help guys - think I'll skip GA though. :P
 
No San Francisco Giants or Boston Celtics apparel in LA. No LA Dodgers apparel in SF.

If you have time, hike to the Hollywood sign. If you're into Art (or taking pictures and posting on Instagram/Facebook), should definitely visit Los Angeles County Museum of Art (or LACMA).

Real Mexican... Tacos El Gordo in San Diego (though, that's kind of far). King Taco and El Torito in LA are always good. Try out Miss Coffee. It's a dessert place that has this HUGE (like, really big) measuring cup like thing filled with shaved ice, fruits, ice cream, and other stuff. It's REALLY, REALLY good (but that could be my biased opinion).
 
Ummm come visit mini. That's what you should do.

Bit early to meet my parents isn't it? ;)

And OWP, thanks Terror, we're actually going to San Diego for a day I think, so Tacos El Gordo sounds like a good shout! Not as sure about the korean desert place, seems interesting though.
 
If you want real mexican food you just go to a place that has dirt on the floor and when you order your food they have to get one of their children to translate for you... BTW the clam chowder in SF is good but the best clam chowder in Monterey which is south of SF by about 3 hours.
 
Oh, you're going to be in SD?? Go to Phil's BBQ! Probably not the best ribs you'll ever have but pretty damn good.

And if you're driving to SF, you'll be taking the I-5, so stop by Valencia, CA, where you can go to Six Flags, if you're into roller coasters, and there's Lucille's BBQ there too! It's similar to Phil's, but I prefer Phil's over Lucille's :)
 
If you have time to spare Vegas is just an hour's (cheap) flight away too, and much fun can be had with just 1 day and 1 night.

Other LA ideas --

Amusement parks/studios: Universal, Disney, Knott's Berry

Touristy: Hollywood, Rodeo Drive, Santa Monica Pier/Promenade, Venice Beach, or stop by in Santa Barbara to check out the missions

Night life: Santa Monica, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, Downtown LA arts district

Shopping: Rodeo Drive, Camarillo Outlets, The Grove, Americana, South Bay mall

Food: As many have already said, good authentic Mexican can be found all over, but pretty much all other cuisines are available too

Range: I've not been myself, but know several friends who go to this shooting range.


Oh and I hope you're getting a car. Public transport in LA is terribad.
 
Can't do vegas as I'm 18 and one of my brothers is 16, so would be meh I guess?

I've been watching those shooting range videos and am actually so scared. I don't want to accidently shoot people, all seemed so complicated - so many switches and buttons and holes!

And yes we've got a car, and this thing called LA pass, so got all the parks and stuff sorted. SO MUCH STUFF TO DO NOW!! BBQ on the list. Ty for the help guys! :)
 
ACTUALLY, a shooting range with actual guns or something does sound SICK!

If you're wanting to do that, come to Texas where the laws aren't as strict ;)

No seriously, Texas is where its at. Come visit.

I've been watching those shooting range videos and am actually so scared. I don't want to accidently shoot people.

In shooting ranges everything is done up in a way to prevent accidents and any good range is going to be strict on safety. Just make sure you know what you're shooting at and always make sure your weapon is cleared when not in use.
 
Last edited:
Go to Napa Valley and bring me some wine for my fancy cheese yo.
 
ALSO, going to see Oakland Raiders VS Detroit Lions, so will be able to scout out some top pick FF players ;)

Megatron is the best one you will see, the raiders are terrible so don't worry about any of them.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top