Wolfenstein: New World Order review

freshmeathead

Banned by Idol
=(e)=
Joined
Jan 1, 2012
Messages
1,282
I won't get into a ton of details here, but overall I enjoyed the game a great deal. I played at 'i am death incarnate' difficulty, spent about 25 hours in the game and finished it in 3 days. My wife was so happy with me this weekend. It really it felt more like a story than most FPS and definitely more so than past Wolfenstein installments. This would make a pretty good TV series/movie, given the plot and character development. The endding is pretty powerful, although I would have preferred to have had the chance to make a different choice.

I will most likely play it again, for several reasons:

1) There is a decision you have to make early in the game that changes some of the plot lines and I would like to see how it is different, especially considering the skills of one over the other. Not a huge negative for me, but this really was the only point where you could make a choice that impacted story line.

2) The game is fairly linear, but there are often hidden paths that can allow you to flank the enemy instead of hitting them head on, and use more stealth. I would like to find more of these paths.

3) There are items to find (enigma codes, golden object, etc.) that will give you a chance to unlock additional game play modes. In general, I want to find all the collectibles/Easter eggs in the game. One of the Easter eggs I did find was the chance to play the original Wolfenstein while you are sleeping in-game.

I picked the game up 60% off a QuakeWeek special offer, so I only spent $25 on it. I wouldn't pay full price, but I am just cheap.

The hardware requirements are higher than stated by the developer. My son's PC has a i7 860 (original i7, 5 years old), AMD 7770 video card and 4 GB of RAM. The game WOULD NOT play on his system. We upgraded him to 12 GB RAM, and it would start, but even at the lowest video settings, frame rates are still abysmal. My PC has a AMD FX-8350, NVIDIA 650 Ti and 8 GB RAM and I was able to play with fairly good frame rates on medium settings. My video card is my weakest link here. It would be nice to see how it looks with a better card, and I am updating soon to an AMD Radeon R9 270X, which is 66% faster than my old card.

One last complaint is the load times and the length of time between save points. Many times it seemed like I had to play through many very tough waves to get a save point, and when you die, the reloading of the level could take 30 seconds or more. I don't recall exact model of hard drive (I know it is a Western Digital, because my brother works there and he hooks me up) but if it is a green drive, it might not be the fastest. I have 3 TB drive sitting on my desk that I should replace it with. :)
 

Latest posts

Back
Top