Bad Company 2 The Spawning Eddy Kit

Tikkun Olam

The Rude Canuck
Joined
Sep 18, 2013
Messages
266
...and behind door number 3.

Ok, so it has nothing to do with military kit or even some dude named Eddy, it's just my attempt to bring up Spawning Etiquette since it's one of those things that drives me bonkers in-game.

Even though I run throuh all characters my favourite is recon, so I guess it's no surprise that something that annoys me would surface then.

When I play any of the other characters I totally expect it when players spawn on me since I'm usually right in the middle of the action and it makes sense to have as many boots on the ground as possible. I'll even spawn into the action as recon with the VSS, and to use motion sensors. That being said, being stealthy isn't usually the number one priority at that point.

But sometimes you'll notice that the (one of the?) recon in your squad is in a spot that takes some effort to get to, like high on the hill on the A side, or in a bush or depression overlooking B. If the guy is still alive and there's little orange triangles popping up on a regular basis, he's probably doing his job.

Spawn on the guy, if you need to...drop ammo, yes please...but don't stick around if you do, and don't shoot - and for cryin' out loud, don't shoot a MISSILE (I can't describe the feeling of, what, flabbergast? disgust? when someone does that). It's only the nature of the beast that recon is the hardest to spot, but when you're nearby he's as easy to see as you are, and when you shoot you just gave his position - and tactical advantage - away.

So, letsee...

A recon was stashed among fronds
When this dead guy wanted to spawn
Now he can't really spot
Since he's starting to rot
And neither will see the next dawn.

Yeah...so sue me. :]

Anyway...pay attention to the guy's POV before you spawn in.
 
I am recon in a forward position ahead of the entire team. I have things near me spotted. All of a sudden BADADADADADAADADADADADADADADADA. Then we were dead. Imagine my irritation.
 
I am recon in a forward position ahead of the entire team. I have things near me spotted. All of a sudden BADADADADADAADADADADADADADADADA. Then we were dead. Imagine my irritation.

That is why you recon like me, Ivan. When making the running TO enemy, enemy die cause of team spawn like popcorn.
 
Oh no. Recons get lonely you need the support to spawn in and stand beside you and empty an entire belt, shoot up a couple of flares and jump up and down. Then wonder why your trying to knife him.
 
Note to self: Spawn next to Yoo as an Engineer and shoot down a chopper.

Check!
 
Oh hey, if you at least shoot down the chopper then all is not for, uh, nought. You can be forgiven...maybe.

I think EA is adding a new script so that you can press the K key (kissy kissy) and a little pink heart will show up over any recon that's looking for company. Keep an eye out for that.
 
I usually drop some ammo then drop a bomb and then I chortle as I move on.

It's also annoying when you're a pilot or driver and attempting to sneak up to a forward position.
 
It's also annoying when you're a pilot or driver and attempting to sneak up to a forward position.

So there I am, driving a jeep like an old Meatloaf song through the trees on the far left between B and C. The attack on B is petering out and we need a flanking move. Most of the RU team is almost certainly at B now, so the timing is right. I'm in the trees, they don't see me yet. I pop out and head for the Eagle's Nest, scanning for mines because that's what I do. No shots coming at me; this just might work.

Suddenly some Zombie-loving, air-headed, probably-doing-a-favor-for-my-ex-wife-to-make-my-life-miserable "teammate" spawns in and starts lobbing grenades toward B. He gets off twelve by the time we crest the hill, and they know we're here. Four AT4s criss-cross around us; I'm dodging them by jinking left and right, suddenly stopping at the bottom of B hill, and luck is on my side. They all miss, but I'm pretty sure one of the other guys has found his Q button and the secret's out. "Jeep to A" I imagine someone is typing right now.

I peel out, jink right and left again, hoping to make it to the trees across from A where I might hide out for a bit. The other guy is still firing grenades like he thinks something game-changing might happen. But the Havoc and the Hind know we're here, and rockets landing around us mean the trip is going to be hard. He bails, because bravery trumps brains sometimes, and his name flickers out as the Hind gunner makes him look like KFC cole slaw.

But, it's a distraction and I might make it now. I bail from the jeep just short of A windmill and head away from the flag, just as rockets from the Havoc shred it. I turn and dart it in the backside, then keep running before he turns around. He flies like Toxic, and I smile anticipating the kill.

BING! No-Brain spawns on me again, switches to missiles, and stands there like it's the climax of Red Dawn (the original, not that remake crap) and takes out the Havoc just before the Hind sends him to the clouds for a second time. Yippee! A 30 point squad trace assist. I duck down near the tower; Toxic is spawning right about now and he knows where I am, and probably where I'll go, so I'll head toward A and fool him.

ZAP! He spawns a third time, but as recon (really, recon). The Havoc is pounding the trees and I smile because we're thirty yards away and relatively safe. But No-Brain runs for the flag zone like the wookie suit makes him invisible. A bad guy spawns at A, and I spot him with my q button but don't want to give away my position. No-Brain stops in the middle of the road and raises his rifle. His first shot misses, and he doesn't get a second try as the Hind gunner gets a trifecta.

I hear a tank, and pop around the windmill real quick and fire a dart. He knows someone is here anyway, my attack is screwed anyway, and maybe he'll give me a tail shot. But it isn't going to happen. You-Know-Whoi spawns again, this time as engineer, and immediately fires a rocket at the tank. At the front, where the armor is thickest, and where the really big gun is. He tries to run and reload, but the tank sends him flying so high that satellites have to change orbit to avoid him. I duck around and fire the second rocket into his side. He's probably down to less than 30%, and he knows that he has to fix it or find me. Luck is on my side; he jumps out to fix. I displace and reload, fire my second rocket, but the tank doesn't die. He's gotta be below 10%. My third shot will kill him, and I can hide for a bit until it's safe to cap A.

Felony-Stupid shows up again, spawning, turning, firing, and grabbing the kill while giving away two positions. The Hind pulverizes him as he runs to the flag zone again. The gunner has to know he's spawning on someone, and where; they're not leaving soon. A few more guys spawn at A, and pretty soon I'm cornered and surrounded. I'd rather be a POW in a Russian prison camp then on his team anyway.

I remember by Nana's last sentence to my Grandpa, who said he wasn't feeling well, "Have you taken your blood pressure meds, Dear?"

Maybe it's time for some on-line video poker.

Papa
 
Back
Top