Newsletter October 2014 Newsletter

wewo

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Jan 12, 2009
Messages
3,433
wewo’s quote of the month:

"It is evil things we shall be fighting against, brute force, bad faith, injustice, oppression and persecution." - British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain, 1939 (courtesy of secondworldwarhistory.com).

Several of our games focus on WWII, a war that ended nearly 70 years ago. Blaze capitalized on the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to interview a WWII veteran, “George”, who served in the U.S. Navy's Chaplain Corp. during WWII and the Korean War. His interview is a must-read.

With a front-page call for help, (thanks TheJollyRoger) the Newsletter Team has added reporters, editors and artists, swelling our ranks to a respectable level. Enjoy the articles written, and edited by both the old guard and the new blood alike.

wewo​

mtl.png


[link="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272894#post2663653"]Oey192 says “It wasn’t me!”[/link]



cwi.png

[link="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272894#post2663696"]He was there! Blaze interviews a WWII vet![/link]


cs.png

[link="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272894#post2663698"]Out of Jail and right back to High School[/link]


mc2.png

[link="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272894#post2663703"]Go to “”Town” in the “Nether World”.[/link]


opx.png

[link="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272894#post2663708"]What’s new in OP:X? Well, everything.[/link]

tf2.png

[link="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272894#post2664123"]Division Leader Insomnia Princess details the changes in TF2. [/link]

This month's articles were reviewed and edited by Blaze and whoflungpooatwho, and StealthGus prepared the striking artwork this month. Congratulations are in order for Insomnia Princess, who is the new TF2 Division Leader!
 
Last edited:
mtl.png


Have you ever wondered how a server works? I mean, what the heck is a "server" anyway? I've heard you need several hamsters running inside a wheel to fuel up eGO's gaming servers.

To solve such mysteries we went to our buddies on the Tech Team and had a pretty fun conversation with one of the oldest: Oey192. This is what he told us:

Sigma Taurus: Oey, thank you very much for having the time to chat with us.

oey192: Of course! My pleasure.

NO, MAN, NO
I need more JOY
MORE...OMG
YES


hmm, OK.You mean I get to take a break from breaking my fingers on a keyboard? Sweet!

HAHA, actually yeah, please tell us something about yourself

Well, apart from coding and gaming as some of you may know I enjoy doing from time to time, doing all these computer-based things can wear you down sometimes. To combat this occasional boredom I have taken up music (no, not Music, he's a BF advisor…). I try to spend time each day playing the piano.

I often improvise when I run out of other things to play; and if you're ever lucky enough to catch me at a TF2 Karaoke night, people say my voice is pretty decent (Someone even started an oey192 fan club, but I attempt to protest its existence for humility's sake).

So Oey, where are you from? tell us something about your education

I'm from the beautiful, mountainous state of Colorado. I have an unusual education background, having attended Waldorf schools since age 3. For high school I went to a Waldorf Performing Arts High School (the only one in the world) where I was in many plays, my favorite being when I got to play the role of Javert in Les Mis?rables

And whats up with The Tech Team? I mean I understand you guys are responsible for keeping all things working, but why did you choose this division? Where were you before?


Right. So, about three and a half years ago, just before finals week of my freshman year of college, GamingRobot32 (who some of you may remember) finally convinced me to buy Minecraft. I bought the game and joined the Strat(agy) division of eGO on the same day. My first true computer gaming experience (Runescape doesn't really count). After about six months, I decided to switch over to the TF2 division as the game was now free and I wanted to mix stuff up a bit. After finally getting my G and O, Valve decided it was going to do typical Valve things and it introduced a bunch of terrible weapons into the game that made me ragequit TF2 for about three months. I felt it was time to return to Minecraft (still Strat at the time), so back I went. Not too long after, Minecraft became its own division and I eventually became an AT. Now, being a computer science major and all, I happened to be decent at coding and so Cyprias decided he wanted to not work quite as hard as normal and threw a couple of Minecraft plugins at me to write (it's interesting how much being an AT helps when it comes to knowing what to put in to certain plugins). One thing led to another, and one day spidEY finally asked me to join up with the Tech team to work on a secret project
After that project got scrapped, I was asked to add some features to DAPS, and that's mostly what I've been working on ever since. There's still one secret project I'm working on, and when it's released, it's going to make things soooo much better for everyone, but it's not done yet. As for why I chose the Tech division? I really like helping people out and it just seemed like the Tech Division was where I was needed the most. It's been an awesome learning experience as well as a lot of fun! I look forward to helping EdgeGamers continue to forge the future of gaming from my dark, ominous lair.

So Oey, does Tech Div attend every single problem at every server hosted at every division?

If we didn't fix them, who do you think would? The hamsters?

Hey I hired two rabid monkeys to make my SQL server work and I haven't had a single crash ever since!

Hmm. I may have to introduce some bananas into that equation.

How do you guys organize yourselves when it comes to attend problems? for example what happens to ...HAHA Bananas... what happens to a server that crashes, let's say, Friday at 1:00am? Do you have specific hours to go fix them?

Well, this being a volunteer organization and all, we don't usually wake people up at 4:00 in the morning to fix a server (we wait until 5:00, or maybe 6:00 if we're feeling nice), but if a server is down, you can bet that whoever has the know-how to fix that server is rearranging their day in whatever way possible so they can get that server back online. Sometimes there's just nothing to be done, but if I have to hack into a fellow passenger's cell phone to steal their internet on the bus ride* home from work (j/k) so I can fix something, you can be sure that that server's going to be fixed before I get home. And Friday at 1:00 AM? Seriously? Most of us are still up gaming anyway.

Tell me about the WORST crash you guys ever faced, like the doom of all hope

Well I think the worst issues we've had have all been before my time, so I'll just give you the worst thing I can think of since I've been on the Tech Team. It was a dark and stormy night…Hubert the Hamster had exhausted himself from running all day so people could play minecraft… oh wait ...Legend fixed that one. Anyway, the worst technical disaster since I've been on the Tech team wasn't my fault, but I got blamed for it anyway. The site we used to host DAPS on was DDoSed and DAPS was down for an entire day. I kept getting PMs saying "oey, what did you do this time?", "oey, DAPS is broken", "FIX IT NOW" (that was probably Dead Tom). Sadly, there was nothing I could do. So we eventually decided that it was time to take DAPS into our own hands and we now host it on the same server as the website.

OK ill pretend I understood all of that. Finally, I don't wanna take more of your time, you have to feed the hamsters; Any future projects you wanna share with this Newsletter?

Well I would love to...but

Pretty please?

The higher ups have told me that I have to turn you down and say "No comment".

Aw. Ok no problem, I get turned down almost on a daily basis since grade school.

*sheds tear*

Thanks for this great interview dude!

Sure, no problem, it was fun.

We at eGO are incredibly grateful with you guys and all your efforts.

Well without the rest of you, we'd have no one to serve, so we're grateful for all of you too! (It's no fun writing code that no one uses)

THANKS BRO, take care!!

you too! Thanks!


So, the next time you are around a Tech guy, please be mindful of the countless hours they have to spend overseeing operations for servers. Whenever you rant your arse off about how slow the server you are playing on is, please remember: hamsters do need to rest once in a while. Maintaining a server seems like a really demanding responsibility and that is good enough reason to appreciate everything these dudes do. Also, with that miserable social life of yours, what else could you do tonight?

Read ya' later,

Sigma

[LINK="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272894"]return to front page[/LINK]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
cwi.png


For this month's Clan-Wide Interest article, I had the golden opportunity to sit down with a World War II veteran and talk to him briefly about his experiences and thoughts on WWII, the Korean War, and video games. The Commander (USN, Retired) and former member of the Chaplain Corps (CHC) prefers to be called "George", so I obliged.

George retired from the United States Navy in 1964. As a Chaplain, he only saw action indirectly. In WWII, there was action a very short distance from George, but he was compelled to get out of the immediate area that was under attack. Let's talk to him and learn from his experience and wisdom.

Blaze: What war(s) did you serve in, George?

George: I served in WWII and I was on active duty during the Korean War but did not see action there.

B: What was your respective rank and grade during each war?

G: My rank during WWII was Ltjg [Lieutenant, junior grade] to full Lt [Lieutenant]. During the Korean War I became a LCDR [Lieutenant Commander].

B: Were you ever in a combat theater, whether in-person or fighting from a distance?

G: Yes I was in the Pacific Theater during WWII. I was not in a combat theater direct or indirect during the Korean War.

B: What was your opinion on going to war for each war you were in?

G: My opinion was that going to war was the necessary and right thing to do. Even as a chaplain I had no reservations about going to war. My concern was for the men I was serving.

B: Tell me about some of your most fascinating experiences related to the wars.

G: Most memorable was being present at the surrender of Japan in August 1945. I was on a ship nearby in the same harbor. I could see the USS Missouri where the surrender was taking place. I was glad that this terrible war was ending.

Earlier I was on an amphibious group command ship whose responsibility was to be the heart of the communications system. Our duty was to relay commands and pass them along. I was not present during any combat landings but I was just a couple weeks away from these events. Just before the end of the war since we were in a war zone, enemy planes would come over our ships at night. Enemy planes were scout planes at that point, not attack aircraft.

B: What did you learn or gain from these experiences?

G: That all people are alike in these situations and their needs and their faith. Even the enemy. The moment they stop being your enemy they start becoming our friends.

B: Did you have any regrets from the war? If so, what were they, and why?

G: Anyone would regret war. I was separated from my family. I left everything to my young wife to take care of, including two infant sons. I missed their early months because I was away.

B: Have you played any war-themed or military-themed video games?

G: No. I am 96 years old. I know that my teenage grandson has played them. Although I have not played them every player puts his personality on the line and approaches games from this stand point.

Four weeks after the blasts, I walked the ground where the first atomic bombs were detonated over Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I saw the devastation and knew thousands of lives were lost – families, children, homes. Nothing can come close to that experience – even in a game. I picked up objects from the ground at these sites. I recall that out of a refrigerator I picked up a jar and everything in it had evaporated.

B: What do you think military game creators can do to make the games more authentic?

G: My approach as a chaplain and clergyman was that I got involved intimately with the lives of people affected directly by the war. This included some Japanese families as well as the military.

What wars do for me is to help me understand more keenly how everyone is affected by war – including our “enemies”. I feel a kinship to them. They matter to me more than the average individual does. I try to connect with them. Zamperini’s life after WWII as told in “Unbroken” was in part about connecting, resolving and reconciling.

It is important to remember that in war, the victims are real people. In games they are not. Real people have real pain and real lives and real families they leave to carry on. Games are games.

B: You are a military hero, and on behalf of Americans everywhere, thank you for risking your life to defend our freedoms and way of life.

Military and war video games can be great fun, but let's never lose our perspective and forget how they came to be. Real blood, sweat, and tears are behind every single military and war video game we play. The next time you play Call of Duty or Day of Defeat, take just a moment before you start and honor the heroes on all sides of the conflicts.

I would like to give a very special "thank you" to George for taking the time to talk with me and share his insights and experiences with us all. He can be contacted on reddit through /u/CastleCorp where he does the occasional Ask Me Anything.

[LINK="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272894"]return to front page[/LINK]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
cs.png


Out with the old, in with the…uh, old? Last month, the CS Division sadly announced the end of an era. The beloved Jail server is no longer on our server list. Chin up though. The High School server is back in action. This news was received by the community with great joy. Members of the CS Division Leadership team have urged the whole community to rekindle their love for the server. The only way de_highschool will remain in our community is if it’s visited regularly. CS Leadership has stressed that the main reason we see servers come and go is because of lack of interest. Do me and the CS Leadership a favor and head to server IP 174.36.42.206:27015. You’ll be supporting a great server that will, with your support, be around for many years to come.

In other division news, ExOH is looking for some new recruiters to join the ranks. Recruiters are people who you can expect to have a friendly approach to potential new members. They should be polite and have a way with words. They are masters of identifying the qualities EdgeGamers members should have. This, combined with their passion and friendly nature, makes them powerful recruiters. ExOH is also after recruitment coordinators. These recruiters are responsible for the many recruiting drives CS Division holds. These simple, yet effective, events help the division grow in numbers. If you're interesting in becoming a recruiter or feel that you're ready for the more advanced position of coordinator, drop by every Tuesday at 9pm EST in the CS TeamSpeak rooms. Additionally, you can contact a member of CS Leadership for more information.

That’s all from the CS front for this month. From your reporter in the virtual field, game on.

[LINK="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272894"]return to front page[/LINK]
 
mc2.png


First and foremost, Minecraft has recently had a lot of promotions. firezfury was promoted to Division Leader, Dr. H@ckf3$t was promoted to Advisor, and most recently Jade was promoted to Advisor. These new additions to Leadership should help Minecraft grow and prosper. Make sure you congratulate them.

Minecraft has recently come out with its 1.8 update. This will fix some bugs as well as add new cool features such as slime blocks. This update has been a long time coming and should add some valuable game play. EdgeGamers Minecraft has not been able to get this update quite yet but, make sure you keep an eye out for it soon!

Minecraft's new "Town World" is coming together quite nicely. "Town World" is a new world that allows players to buy a plot and build a custom house. This is a really cool feature that will even have a shop area to buy and sell items. Plots will cost an initial fee, and have recurring payments as well. I personally have checked this world out, and I must say it is very impressive. You can expect this town to be released in the next server reset.

I also want to make sure everyone is still checking out our Mining and Nether worlds. Mining World is a place that players are allowed to simply mine. Don't worry about the “15 block” rule here, as all places are accessible. Just make sure you don't build too much because this world will be getting reset frequently. Nether world allows you to spawn in the Nether. Once arriving you will be able to mine quartz, nether rack, and other neat materials. Nether materials look good and are only available in this world. Be careful though -- the Nether can be a very dangerous place.

Until next time!

CCCPofAmerica

A big thanks to idk_lobsters and Witch_Doctor for the help with this article.

[LINK="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272894"]return to front page[/LINK]
 
Last edited:
opx.png


Seablade, one of two Division Leaders for the Operation: X Division, has nearly three years of service of leadership for his division. Here's what he had to say about OP:X, outlining the wonder and weirdness of the community around him:

"With hundreds of members in the division, there's nothing that won't satisfy you. With popular games such as Garry's Mod, Planetside 2, DOTA 2, and League of Legends being the top players in this somewhat unheard of division. Most new members to the division, or EdgeGamers itself, always ask 'What is Op:X ?' as well as, 'What do they do?'"

According to Seablade the answer is simple.

Operation: X is the testing grounds for any game which might be worthy of incorporating into the EdgeGamers community. The division is always looking for games which have the possibility to grow and become one of the many sub-communities within EdgeGamers. It's a division which takes into consideration the views, opinions, and ideas of the community around it, keeping its members happy and on their toes, as well as trying to attract new members to this often unheard-of division of oddities.

Some games and servers don't last. The most recent dropping was Insurgency (or rather, Insurgency 2 as it's referred to). It brought minimal traffic to the servers which were hosted and as a result, one by one, they went down, never to be seen again. In addition to this, the numerous Call of Duty servers that were hosted for the division were dropped as server populations were insufficient. In other words, not enough players were using the servers.

Basically, the resources weren't being utilized to their full potential, and those resources can be put to better use in other ways and in other divisions, giving other games and divisions a helping hand when they need it. Those resources can also be used to create an entirely new division, if the right game comes up!

Aside from the doom and gloom, there are always games that are just waiting to be dug up and showcased in the hope that they may bring in new players. To make it in eGO you need the right balance of available players, a strong community and following, and continued assurance that the servers will be an asset to the community. If all of that holds true, then Leadership may look to put that game into its very own division.

As the division is continually asking for suggestions, it is important to stress that any constructive feedback is always welcome and appreciated. This allows the community in EdgeGamers to shape the future of available servers, games, and divisions. Overall, speaking up is a major contribution to what goes on.

Operation: X in particular attracts a widely diverse group of people, whether it be nationality, interests, or attitude toward the game. Operation: X is a wing which has something for the gaming individual, so why not take the chance, seize the moment, and take a trip to OP:X and see what's to offer? You might meet new friends, comrades, and teammates along the way. Go on, you know you want to.

[LINK="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272894"]return to front page[/LINK]
 
Last edited:
tf2.png

September brought many changes to the TF2 Division -- some expected and some unexpected.

Server Rankings

In positive news, server rankings are up. Nearly all the servers are in the three-digit rankings and continue to climb. The FFTF, as well as server regulars and our dedicated members, have been working hard to make this happen and it does not go unnoticed. Here is an example of just two months’ worth of growth:

Server Rankings on July 18,2014...............................Server Rankings on Sept 27, 2014

Hightower: 718..........................................................Hightower: 555
2Fort: 900.................................................................2Fort: 861
Harvest: 983..............................................................Harvest: 807
Dustbowl: 1004..........................................................Dustbowl: 659
Foundry: 1699............................................................Foundry: 1059
Egypt: 2327................................................................Egypt: 1551

Thank you for your hard work, everyone. Please keep it up and enjoy time on your favorite servers. Invite your friends and let’s keep those rankings up!

We’d also like to take the time to thank all of our admins for working hard to keep the servers fun and safe. Sometimes it can be a distraction from playing the game when you have to admin rowdy players. I know how frustrating this can be when all you want to do is play the game, but EdgeGamer's Leadership sincerely appreciates your effort and time put into maintaining the server.

Leadership Changes

Next, we’d like to address some leadership changes. Toward the end of September, Division Leaders Caelestis and Kazoo both stepped down from their positions. This happened just days after Mister Adam returned to leadership as an Advisor. Some shifting was made and another new Advisor added and your new TF2 leadership roster looks like this.

Wilson!!: Community Manager

Insomnia Princess: Division Leader

CrashRIT, Advisor: Admin Training
Maserati, Advisor: Events
Mister Adam, Advisor: Events/Support
VP :3, Advisor: Competitive

We understand big changes like this can be confusing and frustrating to the members and that is why Leadership has implemented an open-door policy for you. If at any time you need something, have questions or concerns, or wish to make suggestions, you can do so in the Dropbox or by contacting us directly. We also invite you to keep your eyes on the forum as we have something fun coming up to help you learn more about us.

Events and Recruiting

The Event Coordinator and Recruiting Host teams are also working on some new and fun events coming up soon and we invite you all to attend if you can and keep an eye on the calendar to see what events are upcoming.

Finally, we’d like to thank the RH team and everyone who recruited in September. As a division, we not only met our monthly recruiting goal but we blew past it! Please keep up the good work and remember “everyone is a recruiter” and each time you play on our servers with your tags, you’re setting an example of what eGO is all about.

So with that, we'd like to say great job to the division and keep up the good work as we move into fall!


[LINK="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272894"]return to front page[/LINK]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Great work guys! Awsome read and great interview Blaze!
 
I'm glad I found George and got the interview with him. If you have any questions for him, contact him at the link in the article. He's on reddit and he loves to answer (respectful) questions about his service or the military in general.

If you enjoyed the newsletter, share it with your friends and spread the word! Pass it along so they can enjoy it, as well. :)
 
allot of really good reads and ya alot of leadership changes but glad to see 2 close freinds and people look up to promoted insomia and ric

thanks ya'll
 
Back
Top