Convoy - The Perfectly Balanced Team?

kiniki

Famous
Joined
Feb 2, 2008
Messages
440
Convoy is pretty much the only map I play at the moment and I've been wondering why (apart from big differences between skill levels) why one team wins consistently over another.

I understand teamwork is key, however it would be interesting to see what balance of classes you think would make the perfect Convoy team, based on a full server.

Sometimes I'm on a team with 5 snipers and 4 engies and no heavies or medics, other times the classes are fairly equally split.

If you could pick the roles everyone would play on this map, how would you balance it and where would you put them on the map? eg, 1 pyro & engie in intel, etc....
 
id like to see the same balance of player classes on one as the same on the other. just to see if they still would dominate the other team
 
Needs 2 engies 2 snipers 2 scouts 2 medics 2 heavies 2 demo, 1 spy and the rest fill the spots. thats my personal opinion, but then again if classes dont help each other out then its no use
 
I believe 16 medics is the key, and just have an ongoing chain of ubers in roder to attain victory ^^
 
i just don't like that map at all... 1 its too laggy, 2 i don't like sniper maps, and 3 i just don't like the overall design of it... not my cuppa t
 
i would like to see like 2 to 3 of every class on each team! that would be cool!
 
I only really play convoy if everything else is full and then just while I'm waiting in line for Dustbowl.

But I've never seen anyone win.

Ever.
 
My favorite map so far, altho the amount of snipers on one team lately (5-6) can lead to failure. I think for protecting your Briefcase, 2 Eng and a Pyro work well (can sub Pyro with Demo). The rest need to be divided up with at least 2 spies and 2 scouts (I usually do a scout). The spies and scouts not only can make a run at the opposing team's Briefcase, but they very useful in culling the Sniper herd (If people didn't spend time killing Snipers they would eventually overpopulate the server and starve to death). Convoy sorta reminds me of an open-air version of 2forts.
 
[quote1204136698=SubArtic]
I believe 16 medics is the key, and just have an ongoing chain of ubers in roder to attain victory ^^
[/quote1204136698]


haha the funny thing is that it wood actually work if eveyone timed the ubers right
thats aweosme
 
I love the map and have played on it more than anything, but the one thing I hate is how a soldier's rockets are deflected back about halfway to the enemy car. It also makes rocket jumping hard to do, which is one of the soldier's great assets.

Oh, and to answer the question, 2 engies, 1 pyro in intel for a base defense, but you also need a few soldiers/demos willing to come back to defend from time to time against the demo on the roof. After that, 2 snipers should be enough. 2 heavy/medic pairs for an assault, and a couple of scouts for flag runs.
 
Can't do Convoy.

However, sometimes, it's not even that one team has a great setup. From what I've seen in dustbowl, it's normally because one team has a terrible one. A lot of times, some teams, especially defense, will go out after a loss, and no one realizes until halfway through setup that they have like 7 engineers with no medic. And to top it off, two of the engineers decide to setup at the second point and stay there.
 
as long as u have a pyro in the intel room, 2 engies is enough imo, if not, then 3, with engies present in the intel
 
Yeah, it really doesn't matter which classes you have so much as how you deploy them. When the other team gets on your roof, it's bad, and there's a tendency to turtle up. You still have to keep attack classes hammering their side of the convoy, though, or you can only loose. I do think you need at least 2 engineers in the intel room, but you have to protect them from demomen on the roof and working through the doors.

It's a challenging map. It does have flaws, but I like it. I've actually seen it played with no snipers, too. Nothing against snipers, as I play the class fairly often, but it was actually a really fun round without them on that map.
 
i would do 2 engies n a pyro in intel
1 scout roaming back n forth on our base another on enemy base
1 medic with 1 heavy team running
1 medic with 1 demo assaulting intel
1 demo and 2 soldiers attacking enemy
1 or 2 spys going for intel
maybe another engineer to build up on thier base

random really you can take anything and make it work if you got good comm and team work
 
I really like convoy. The things i dont like are snipers being able to snipe from their re-supply to the cross bridges. And the sentries on the missiles but thats about it.

I think Pyro and demo are really effective for this map, thought I primarily play soldier there.
 
Soldier can be pretty effective due to his rocket jumping. One tactic that I use a lot is to cross on the upper bridge, about 3/4 of the way over, rjump onto their rocket (which usually gives me an unimpeded route to their intel), and then jump onto the roof of their intel. Then I usually wait for backup or start spamming their intel with rockets, killing and destroying anything in the way. (Bonus if there's SG in there -- then I just grab the intel, rjump back onto the rocket and hightail it out of there.)
 
Definitely 1 of each class first. Then if there are more than 9 players on a team, add a soldier, a sniper, and a demo. that sounds good :D
 
Convoy requires a good balance, but I find that maybe a few snipers to pick off enemies, plus the 2 engies and a pyro to defend the intel room are important. A heavy/medic pair, some soldiers, and demos can all do a lot of damage when coordinated right, though. The best thing to do is to get a teleporter on top of the rocket and let your whole team go over quickly.
 
A string of ubers wouldn't really work because you cant grab the intel when your ubered and now with the patch the demo man might run out of ammo.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top