Newsletter January 2015 Newsletter

wewo

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Jan 12, 2009
Messages
3,433
ego.png

wewo?s quote of the month:

"Gambling is part of the human condition. I love it. I have the best time gambling. I've been winning fortunes, and I've been losing them."

Jerry Lewis (courtesy of www.brainyquote.com).

Blaze explores one of the newest phenomena in video gaming - gambling on e-sporting events. No money, no chips; betting is done with skins (obtained through Steam). What effect will this have on the video gaming community? What effect will it have on minors? It is a thorny situation, rife with legal and ethical issues that are explored in the article. Feel free to state your opinion (respectfully) below.

Happy New Year!

mtl.jpg

[link="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278323#post2704450"]DarkRaven! flung the poo o.O[/link]



cwi.jpg

[link="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278323#post2704451"]Betting on CS:GO? You bet your skin.[/link]


bf.jpg

[link="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278323#post2704452"]SigmaTaurus gives ?em HELL[/link]


css.jpg

[link="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278323#post2704470"]CS:GO comp team news and the Holiday Gift Grab[/link]


dod.jpg

[link="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278323#post2704472"]Clean your ears and listen to what Q-Tip has to say[/link]


psc.jpg

[link="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278323#post2705084"]Thanks for a fruitful year PSC[/link]


This month's Newsletter was edited by Blaze, SuperGlue, and whoflungpoo. The artwork was prepared by Versed.
 
Last edited:
mtl.jpg


by whoflungpoo

For this month's Newsletter, I have the honor of doing the Meet the Leadership section. Once I heard that I was receiving this responsibility, I knew instantly whom I wanted to interview: Battlefield Division's very own Division Leader, DarkRaven! For those of you who don't know, DarkRaven and I have had a great past in EdgeGamers. We were both promoted to Advisors for the Call of Duty division back when it was still around. After CoD Division was closed down, we both went to PSC as Advisors for a few months then went our separate ways: DarkRaven to Battlefield and I became a Line Advisor. So, this Q&A is somewhat a catch up for me and hopefully an interesting article for you to read. Hope you enjoy as I pick his brain.

whoflungpoo: Thank you for doing this interview, DarkRaven. It's been a while for both of us, hasn't it?

DarkRaven: Yeah it has been a while. It was August 2013 when the Call of Duty Division was closed down due to limited activity and participation. Prior to its closing we worked hard to provide members with a great gaming experience playing COD4 and hosted many events. Afterwards as you have already mentioned we were in the PSC helping to provide direction for new members of the community and started towards the new retention of members.

whoflungpoo: First off, I want to ask, how do you like being a Division Leader and what are your responsibilities?

DarkRaven: It is very rewarding, as is any form of leadership, to help other players enjoy their gaming experience. As you mentioned I had the privilege of being an advisor in COD4, PSC, and Battlefield before becoming a Division Leader. Since I joined the Battlefield Division I have been an events coordinator, server manager, and have helped to organize divisional forums. Now as Division Leader I continue those same jobs with also working with Battlefields other DL Major Shrapnel, Community Manager KillerCanKill, and our leadership team of advisors. Duties also include maintaining and filling servers, adjusting settings, managing forums, coordinating events, and keeping the members happy. Recently we have held many huge events with DICE and EA to which I have helped with graphics, video productions, information posts, new member brochures.

whoflungpoo: When did you join EdgeGamers and what or whom made you join?

DarkRaven: I joined EdgeGamers in Feb 2013 after my good friend Wenchie joined. Wenchie and I go back prior to eGO to when I ran a Black Hawk Down/COD4 community called Special Operations Squad. After I joined eGO another good friend by the name of Rerun joined eGO as well. The *SO* community was dying because of older games and the few of us wanted a community that had many people and friends to join.

w: Next question: What brought you to Battlefield? It's VERY different than just running around in CoD with grenades and rocket launchers.

D: At one point when running my own squad/community we hosted a Battlefield Bad Company 2 server for a few months. I have liked playing the shooter games such as Black Hawk Down, Metal of Honor, Call of Duty, and Battlefield. I have always liked the graphics, weapons, and destructible modes in Battlefield over Call of Duty. You mentioned grenades and rocket launchers. I was really good with the grenades at landing them on targets over walls and on map locations. I know the rocket launchers you taught me and we had a blast with those.

w: You were recently awarded the Distinguished Service Award. That is quite an accomplishment! Any thoughts on it?

D: Many leaders earn the award for doing various duties for their divisions. I was awarded the Distinguished Service Award for helping coordinate events, cleaning and organizing the forums, and helping leadership and members on the forums and in game. It’s a special award to have received. However, I take more pride in my National Service Award for being a prior Air Force Member. I know many of our members hold this award and have worked hard to keep our nation secure and free.

w: Does Battlefield Division have any interesting events planned for the near future?

D: We have just started up our Battlefield Premier League. The BPL is a competitive team that plays Battlefield. Just this year we have already held two major events with DICE and YouTube members which were the Juggernaut and the Zombie events. In the next few months we will continue to work with DICE and our many sponsors to host similar events. Coming soon is Battlefield Hardline and we will be working up some events for the release of it.


Now to some less serious stuff


w: The real question is this: Who did fling the poo?

D:



Well it was either My Monkey
hfp2.gif


or Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo
hfp3.jpg



w: What other games do you like to play besides games from the Battlefield series? If not games, what other hobbies do you like to do outside of the world of gaming?

D: Gaming - I enjoy racing games so I have most of the Need for Speed series. I have many of the divisional games of eGO but don’t always get time to play many of them including TF2, CS:S, and DOD:S. I have some other games like Railroad Simulator, the Sims, FIFA, and Dragon Age. Hobbies - Well, I'm a space and weather nerd. I love going to watch rocket launches and learn about space and science. I have recently watched the Antares Rockets from Wallops Island and the big Delta Heavy with the Orion Capsule from Cape Canaveral-Kennedy Space Center. Weather I love to watch and photograph. I live near three beaches so I love going out to them as well outside of gaming.

w: Lastly, could I still kick your butt in CoD:4?

D: I'm sure you could since I haven’t played much COD4 since the division closed. I haven’t had a chance to try the new COD yet but it looks a little closer to Battlefield. The last COD that I have played was Ghosts. I'm sure though If you come to Battlefield I would kick your butt since I play it more frequently.

w: Thanks so much for doing this interview and I hope to see you on the Battlefield servers soon. Hope you and your family have a Happy Holiday Season and a Happy New Year.

D: You are welcome. Enjoy your holiday as well buddy. See you in Battlefield!


-Thank you for reading, everyone! Hope everyone has a great New Year!

[LINK="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278323"]return to front page[/LINK]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
cwi.jpg


Gambling in the World of Competitive Gaming
by Blaze

For this month's article, I delved deep into the world of unregulated gambling on Counter-Strike: Global Offensive league and tournament matches. We will explore multiple aspects of this surprisingly widespread practice and discuss the pros and cons of unregulated gambling on Internet and LAN gaming, as well as what it portends for the future of competitive gaming.

Ethical and Legal Considerations

Two of the biggest issues concerning betting on professional and semi-professional gaming matches are the issues of ethics and legality. Generally speaking, unregulated Internet gambling for currency or financial instruments is illegal in most jurisdictions, be it in the United States of America, the United Kingdom, or elsewhere in the world. Even in jurisdictions where it is legal, there is usually an age restriction requiring that gamblers be at least 18 or 21 years of age. In most jurisdictions, however, CS:GO items do not fall into that category since they have no actual cash value or equivalent.

Since the largest site that allows wagering on CS:GO matches doesn't verify the ages of bettors, the ethical implications may overshadow the legal ones. For starters, on the largest website where CS:GO skins can be wagered and won or lost, the winnings the bettors claim come directly from the losing bettors. Is it ethical to take from minors or underage bettors? Is it any defense that if one website didn't exist to take bets, another would certainly have sprung up?

Another ethical consideration is that of players and/or teams "throwing", or intentionally losing, matches. In the semi-professional scene, there is little money to be earned or fame to be gained by winning. In lieu of winning honestly for little money, some players and teams choose to wager as much as $240 US in skins per person for a large payoff. When you consider that in smaller leagues, matches often earn $1,000 US or less in winnings (divided among the entire organization), the temptation to wager $200 US or more on the 3:1 underdog you are competing against is clearly there. In place of a prize of $200 US or less for a player, that player can wager $240 US and collect well over $700 US in CS:GO items.

This is not just a hypothetical situation. The CS:GO competitive scene has been hit with a number of betting scandals, with some involving throwing matches and others involving wagering on a game that had already been played ahead of time and broadcast as a replay. For example, check out this article on HLTV.org detailing how Polish team ALSEN was caught throwing a series against a huge underdog and attempting to reap a huge payday in the process. Another scandal was uncovered in May of 2014, when players from LDLC and Virtus.pro wagered on a prerecorded match between the two teams in an attempt to win items from unsuspecting bettors who were unaware that the outcome of the match had already been decided.

No Small Matter

By my own investigation and estimates, many of the popular matches on the largest betting site will take in more than 200,000 items, with well over 100,000 items on almost all matches posted at least three hours in advance. Generally speaking, these large matches have a minimum of $24,000 US wagered on them. I was able to calculate that minimum because I wagered the $240 US maximum bet on quite a few matches, and it was rare that the odds swayed by even 1%, indicating a minimum betting pool of $24,000 US, but most likely a lot more.

I wish I could calculate a more accurate figure, but $25,000 US in items wagered on individual matches with no oversight or regulation is a sobering thought. There is no guarantee that the website will always honor bets, and there may be no feasible recourse if the website defaults on winning wagers, is hacked, or otherwise decides not to honor its obligations.

Cheating Death

With all this money on the line, hacking and cheating within the professional scene is even more detrimental to all parties involved. The professional CS:GO scene was rocked in 2014 when numerous well-known, professional players were caught cheating and banned by ESEA and/or Valve.

Below is a partial list of known professionals and semi-professionals banned by Valve and/or ESEA for cheating in CS:GO:

KQLY
Sf
smn
emilio
cLy

Arguably, emilio's was the most humiliating, as he was VAC banned mid-match while professional gaming casters Anders and Semmler were calling the match.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFAj_tOjKbg"]Emilio VAC banned mid-match[/ame]

LAN Proven?

Some of the so-called "private hacks" utilized by players such as those above were able to be used even at LAN events, where the fact that players were being directly observed gave spectators and event organizers the false sense of security that cheating would be impossible. Players reportedly needed only to log onto a website or load their Steam Workshop subscriptions to automatically download and install their cheating software.

Implications of Anonymous Wagering and Cheating

The sizable money wagered in the underground gambling scene is tempting to those that would cheat during matches. That makes the gambling even dicier for those who would risk their valuables on a sport such as this one. It also raises the question: when does the wagering website have a duty to its bettors to cancel matches that are suspect?

The current top betting website simply pays out the bets as soon as the league administrators confirm a winner. Even if cheating is later uncovered, the bets have already been paid out and nothing can realistically be done to reverse it. What can or should the website do to mitigate those circumstances?

I've witnessed blatant cheating in a match. I was watching a small league match between two Spanish teams several months ago and saw blatant aimbotting and tracing through walls on both teams. The league, however, did nothing to stop the match or halt it for review, despite hundreds (if not thousands) of spectators pointing it out throughout the match. As soon as the match ended, the league determined the winner without any kind of oversight or review, bets were paid, and (in my opinion) thousands of people were ripped off.

Conclusion

With such large bets and such pervasive, unregulated gambling on CS:GO matches, the temptation to cheat or fix matches is always there. How can we regulate and control the wagering and matches to ensure a legitimate outcome and proper payouts? How do we keep the professionalism and spirit of competition in professional gaming? The future of the entire CS:GO professional scene (and professional gaming in general) is at stake if we can't answer these questions, and that's the biggest gamble of all.

I would like to give special thanks to HLTV.org and YouTube for source material for this article.

Full disclosure: Blaze is a veteran sports bettor who has wagered on CS:GO matches, and also wagers on other professional sports including Major League Baseball and National Football League games. EdgeGamers Organization does not endorse or encourage illegal activity of any kind. Check with your local jurisdiction before engaging in any type of wagering activity.

[LINK="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278323"]return to front page[/LINK]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
bf.jpg


by SigmaTaurus

Oh, Christmas. A time to give.

Oh, Battlefield. Where you give HELL to your opponents.

Yup, this is the final chapter of 2014's run on Battlefield and it's packed with great stuff, so let's begin:

As you may already know (if you don't, check this out), EdgeGamers joined forces with DICE and EA to bring Battlefield 4 to a whole new level: the BPL (Battlefield Premier League), a professional, real deal championship for prizes in cash and goodies. This was all thanks to our great BF Leadership, so if you are enjoying the fruits of this partnership as much as we do, don't forget to say "Thanks, braw!" to our buddies up there and cheer for Team EDGE!

BF Division is looking to achieve 1,000 recruits....and they are only 16 short! Go tell your friends about eGO's BF division so they can cross that milestone before the end of the year. Do that and you'll get a cookie!

If all this wasn't enough for ya', guess what: there's a new BF title coming. Check the trailer: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfOEmtppbYE[/ame]
"Excellent at improvising... and terrible at keeping things quiet!!!" -Captain-
HA! Who keeps things quiet on BF? Are we firing plushy bullets or something?
Although this looks like the consequence of GTA and BF having babies (psychopath babies, I may add), the game looks very promising and, as usual, EdgeGamers will be there right in the action! Launch is set in March 2015.



Origin is offering BF4 for $9.99, which is probably what you'll receive from your grandparents in a reindeer envelope, so save that money and go get yourself a copy!

I've seen some of the battles at the BPL and they are incredibly good. Here's the roster. You can watch them live, so check the forums for more details (*Grabs popcorn*).

Please consider all the effort our friends are putting into the partnership with DICE and EA. It's very rare when a gaming community can achieve so much and that is because we have people with great commitment.

Many things are being prepared for next year, so don't miss the updates displayed on the main page and on BF's forums.

You better not run
You better not hide
You better watch out
You better not die
RPG's are coming at yo'arse

KILLERCANKILL's making a list,
And checking it twice;
Gonna find out who headshotted his wife,
Mortar fire's raining tonight.
​


Happy Holidays and a sexy new year to you and your families.

Read ya' later
Sigma

[LINK="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278323"]return to front page[/LINK]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
css.jpg


by flamelauncher11

Hello and happy 2015, fellow EdgeGamers! As 2014 comes to an end, the CS Division kicks off the new year with a bang. To start, the CS Division's CS:GO competitive team earned the opportunity to play in the CEVO MLG qualifier tournament. After playing six matches, the team ended up with a score of four wins and two losses. While they didn't win the tournament, they did have a great run so be sure to congratulate the team for making it this far in the competitive world.

On a different note, the CS Division Recruitment Coordinators program is back in full swing and has ideas to help populate the new CS:GO Minigames server by hosting recruiting drives in the server. The CS Division Recruitment Coordinators aim to fill servers and bring new players into the community. Recruiting Drives are hosted weekly and will soon be hosted on weekends to try and get the biggest turnout possible. The program is run by ZER0C00L, an Advisor for the CS Division's recruiting program. For questions regarding the CS RC program, or how to possibly become a CS Division RC, send him a PM for information. Remember, any member of any division and rank can participate in the drives, so be sure to look out for dates and times for the new year!

Finally, CS Division leadership brought back the CS Holiday Gift Grab which will end on January 3, 2015. Every kill you earn in any EdgeGamers hosted CS:S server will drop a present, which you can pick up to compete for prizes. The gift grab is hosted every year, and any EdgeGamers member is eligible to play! Simply connect to any EdgeGamers CS:S server and you're set! Players can type !gifts in chat to see how many gifts they have, as well as the event leaderboard.

That is all for this month, everyone. Happy New Year!

[LINK="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278323"]return to front page[/LINK]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
dod.jpg


by Mr_Nicoll

I had the wonderful chance to speak with Q-tip, overseeing the new recruiting drive in the Day of Defeat Division, something new, fresh, and interesting to pop up in the past few weeks - which, I’m sure, has intrigued many individuals across the spectrum of EdgeGamers. So, to help debunk the mystery and explain what’s going on, I’ve dragged Q-tip into a small, cramped, dark, and decrepit room in Teamspeak 3 to ask him what this new program is all about, and what if offers for both EdgeGamers and the DoD:S Division.

Overall, this recruitment drive: what is it aiming to do?
“To boost numbers of quality members, bringing fresh members in. Before, we were bringing in people, but they weren’t the best. With this, we’re looking for quality, rather than quantity of members - people who can be involved and participate in the events, TeamSpeak, and all that.”

How many members are involved in the program at the moment?
“Well…I believe in the first class we had roughly 7-8. The recruiting group has been wiped, and we’re starting fresh - starting over from scratch.”

How many individuals have been recruited from this recent event?
“Ummm…3 or 4 I think, they’re doing well, coming to events, joining the TeamSpeak—just as we planned. Progress has been slow; however, it’s keeping in turn with what we want.”

How long is this recruitment drive going to last?
“This is being run as a contest, from December 5th to February 5th.”

What would you like to see come from this?
“More quality individuals who can stick around and get involved with everything the division has to offer.”

Any wacky or weird requests that came from this?
“It’s so new, I haven’t had anything yet. We’ll leave that one open.”

As an Advisor to eGO's DoD:S Division, what is the strangest thing that has happened to you?
“Let me think, umm….(long pause)…I don’t know…but I just killed six people thinking about it (in-game thankfully). I can’t think of anything. I’m sure there’s something. It’s Friday night, so…yeah.”

As I do with every, or near enough, every report I do: do you know what Irn Bru is? Or what about Macaroon bars?
“Macaroon bars are a cookie?” (Actually fondant icing with chocolate coating and coconut sprinkles)
Irn Bru…isn’t that a beer?" (Soft-drink. The taste is something unique.)

Anything else you’d like to add?
"We’ve pretty much started this whole recruiting campaign over again. I’m excited to see what happens from this recruitment contest - it’s been producing good results, and good activity in the community. Really good to see. I’m very happy about it. I could tell before it would be great, with the guys we've put forth to start this out again - they’re sure to make a great job of this.”

[LINK="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278323"]return to front page[/LINK]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
psc.jpg



by Insomnia Princess

As we wrap up another year at EdgeGamers, we want to take time to say thank you to the PSC who often go without the appreciation they deserve for their hard work. We also want to say congratulations to IceStyle, the newly appointed Division Leader who will be helping out Razor and the rest of the leadership team in the coming year.

With that, we want to remind all members of eGO that they can help out the PSC, regardless of which division you call home.

How Can You Help?

If you?re interested in helping EdgeGamers grow and foster good morale within the divisions and with new members, consider volunteering your time. You can join the PSC and help process new applicants who join, keeping those new recruits moving flawlessly through the system.

You could also sign up for one of the specialty programs. The PSC Recruiting Team helps boost recruiting on an eGO level, often visiting other divisions for Invasions, playing on their servers, helping to recruit and also teaching other members good recruiting techniques and policy.

The New Member Experience (NME) program is similar to a big brother/sister program in that it pairs you up with a new recruit who you will mentor for a period of time, showing them around EdgeGamers, answering questions and being a good friend. This is an important step in retention, as we want new members to feel at home.

2014 brought thousands of new recruits to EdgeGamers, with the help of the PSC. Here's to a new year and many more new friendships to be made!

[LINK="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278323"]return to front page[/LINK]
 
Last edited:
Great read, good job everyone! Really liked the battlefield song. Congrats to the CS and the BF teams. And good luck in future tournaments!
 
Great read, good job everyone! Really liked the battlefield song. Congrats to the CS and the BF teams. And good luck in future tournaments!

Thank you for reading this month's Newsletter :)
 
Back
Top