Care in Tracing Sprays

Monkeybits

EGO Zealot
Joined
Apr 14, 2008
Messages
1,860
I think anyone of any rank can trace sprays on our servers, so I thought I'd post this in general forums. It's important to use care in tracing sprays. The tracing tool isn't perfect. If you find an objectionable spray, it's good to call the person over and check their spray to make sure it's really theirs.

The reason I'm mentioning this is that today in Gravelpit we had an incident where someone had sprayed over my real spray, but trace was only showing my info. I couldn't see the offending spray, which evidently said something like "I love f---ing sandwiches." Completely unacceptable.

I asked Bubbles to go check it out. She couldn't see the bad one, but could see mine.

monkeyspray.jpg


I moved mine, and inexplicably, the blank wall still traced as mine.

SprayTrace.jpg


So, if you see an offensive spray, be sure to verify with the player after tracing. If they won't spray for you, chances are good it's theirs. When all else fails, cover it up.

Thanks, everyone.
 
Ok, that is handy to know. I don't use a spray for pretty much this exact reason, but it has been tempting. Just to be able to personalize the world around me a little. But when people do things like this, it really does not make me want to start using sprays.

.... I probably will anyways. All well. Once again thanks for letting us all know.
 
Use your sprays! They make the game fun. It's just important to remember not to blame someone for a bad spray until you can make sure it's really them. Don't worry, all admins should be aware of this and be careful in determining who's really at fault. The key is that you can't change your spray without disconnecting from the server, so if the player is still in game and you get them to spray, you can confirm if it's them or not.
 
Apparently if you and someone else in the server have the same spray it won't work for one of the people. I'm not sure if it's based on file name or the actual image but my spray wouldn't work in the scrim this afternoon because another eG had the same spray as me.
 
So thats what you meant when you said the trace was still showing your spray.
It completely flew past me while we were playing, so thank you for making a post about it!
 
Thanks for the tip... I'll remember that next time I see something worth mentioning to an admin on a server.. so we don't blame the wrong person
 
Voided, I'm often confusing. It's a byproduct of the insanity, you see. Estoroth, believe me, I've blamed the wrong guy before, that's how I learned about the problem. He turned out to be innocent. Woody, that's good info, too. I didn't know about those factors. My spray should be very unique, though, because Lafinass made it for me (he rocks), so I think it's the only one of its kind.
 
I'm still totally confused is there a command you type in to trace the spray or how exactly are you tracing it.
 
Rocker, there is a command. I believe it's "sm_tracespray" and I simply have it bound to one of my keys (f2 is convenient, so that's what I use).
 
I believe the command is sm_tracespray but I might be wrong. You can do something along the lines of 'bind f2 sm_tracespray' in the console, and then it's just the push of a button away.
 
Yeah, bind f2 sm_tracespray will do it. Then you just face the spray and hit f2 and it'll let you know who sprayed it and when.
 
Ninja Chicken, your name is so cool that it probably spreads into other gaming things, too. I have no doubt your spray is cool. Post a screen shot! =)
 
Same as my avatar but I worked in transparency so that only the black and red of hood, eyes and outline is present. The black background and the white parts are all transparent. I'll post when I get home.
 
Bumped. There's a contest bans in forum that indicates we may need a refresher on this one.

Remember that especially if multiple sprays are involved, spraytrace may give faulty results and you need to get the player to respray where you can see it. If they won't spray for you or leave server, ban and let them contest, but if they're willing to cooperate, they can not switch a spray in game, so have them respray where you can clearly check it, then you can take action or not take action as appropriate.

Never take one trace as definite proof--hit the middle and all four corners to see if you get different results. Remember that some talented spray makers are able to make logos with clear backgrounds to get the effect they want. Sometimes when someone tries to cover a spray for you, it ends up under the offensive spray instead, but it was sprayed last so the trace shows the well-intentioned player's information instead of the actual offender's.

I once traced a porn spray to Bubbles, who only has sprays I uploaded or Lafin, Dangerdad or BlackestSoul made for her. I have access to her machine and no such spray existed on her system.
 
hmmm - Maybe we should design a system that when an inappropriate spray is used, the server sends the physical address to an Advisor who will then, with the help of eGO volunteers, send out a What-The-Heck-Were-You-Thinking Committee to "explain" to the offender our simple, hassle free rules. We would need the services of a black van (A-team, can you help us with that?) and somebody who's good with "persuasion" to do the "talking." Of course lookouts and an expert in high speed driving would round out the group.

The only down side that I can see to this system is having to provide food for our volunteers while on the road.

Thoughts?
 
I like the food idea. My question would be, "How does the server know if a spray is inappropriate?" Our admins make that determination, unfortunately.
 
Ok, so two down sides. Anybody close completing an all powerful AI system that we can deploy for this project? Preferably one that won't nuke us and build a cyborg army in the attempt to crush any human resistance that may spring up in the rubble of our once prosperous civilization?
 

Latest posts

Back
Top