How the server can fix lag on CSS (player guide too)

ELK

I made one post
Joined
Jul 2, 2015
Messages
19
Rate is a bandwidth limit in bytes/s. The DUST2 server uses "sv_maxrate 75000" (75kb/s). It runs great but I have not played with 64 players (max), but I do prefer a server to have ridiculously high rate to completely avoid bandwidth throttling (not sure if this will allow massive bandwidth to people downloading server files). The problem is the sv_minrate. I ask players to increase their rate but most will not do it probably because they think increasing it will increase the amount of data and lag (noobs lol).

INCREASE THE SERVER'S sv_minrate -preferably to the sv_maxrate value (currently 75000) this will force everyones rate to a minumum of the cl_minrate value
and is an instant fix to the current lag problem on the server.

note:
sv_maxrate only runs great for me becuase I use "sv_maxrate 0" and "rate 999999999" but my rate is 75000 because the server limits it to 75000 (sv_maxrate 75000)

Extra info for players:
My settings
sv_maxrate 0
rate 999999999
sv_maxcmdrate 10000000
cl_cmdrate 100 (Limited to 66 by server)
sv_maxupdaterate 10000000
cl_updaterate 100 (Limited to 66 by server. Set this higher to allow lower interp value)
cl_interp_ratio 1 (Allows the lowest interp value for the set cl_updaterate)
cl_interp 0.02 (20ms of interp, which is guessing a players location. Your bullet can hit their interp location (what you see on your screen) or their actual location on the server (NO YOUR BULLET CAN'T HIT TWICE). Some people prefer no interp (I do not know why). If you have loss you want interp)

VERY IMPORTANT USE NET_GRAPH 3 TO TEST VALUES
fps I will explain this last but it is very important
in & out size of data, averages to the right in k/s
loss amount of data lost. You should always have 0.
ping how long it takes a packet to get to the server & back (latency, which you see on the scoreboard, is how long it takes a packet to get to the server, also if you're on the server while i'm playing on it and you have high ping please leave (LOL))
lerp The amount of interp in milliseconds (if the color of the text is not white, for example yellow or red, then your cl_interp value is too low and will cause lag)
choke throttling that causes sustained lag. You should always have 0 except a few seconds after spawn. Choke can be caused by low fps, slow internet, & bad settings
Numbers to the far right Top to bottom. Current cl_updaterate, updates you are getting from the server, commands you are sending to the server, current cl_cmdrate. If the middle values are not 66+ then you will get choke. This can be caused by fps dropping below 66, your internet speed not being fast enough, and bad settings.
fps If your fps is below 66 you will have choke. DISABLE V-SYNC I can't stress this enough. You probably have a 60hz monitor which doesn't meet the minimum of 66, but I recommend always having it off. if you have a 120hz/144hz monitor and NEVER drop below 120fps/144fps then having v-sync on is ok. g-sync at 120hz or 144hz is ok on 66-tick servers. Every fps is a chance to sync with the server reducing the time of sustained choke (if there is any, usually after spawning).

CSS IS CPU INTENSIVE Your frame rate is 99% likely limited by your cpu.
how to lower cpu usage
Disable ambient occlusion in your video card driver control panel.
Set shaders to low in the in-game graphical options
I am unsure if Color correction, hdr&bloom, & motion blur are rendered on the cpu, but personally I prefer them off because I hate post-processing.
Disable background programs
Check out casey's config for very low end machines
Also
cl_minmodels 1 (this gives me a big fps boost and I love it. It makes all the terrorits look the same, and all the counter-terrorists look the same.)

Fix your network settings
http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
Use TCP/IP Optimizer to configure your network for gaming. There is a guide on the page that explains every setting. There are some horrible settings windows uses by default which are not game friendly.

Windows 8 by default reserves 20% the cpu for the network. Use TCP/IP Optimizer to fix that. Css will use most of your cpu so maybe 10% will work better than 0%, on the other hand maybe not. Test it and let us know!

PLEASE INCREASE THE SERVER'S SV_MINRATE
 

Latest posts

Back
Top