boot on rockbound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
68
Earlier tonight, I was playing on the rockbound server, with alot of eG's and eGO's. At the end of a round I typed in the chat THIS MAP IS HORRIBLE. (the caps was a mistake, didn't know it was on) Right after that I was kicked out of the game.
I read all the rules before joing eGO and I didn't think what I did was against them. i just wanted to voice my opinion. I don't think this warrants getting booted without any warning. I wasn't vocal about it, just one line of text.
Anyway I think this was unfair. I loving being part of eGO and didn't expect something like this to happen. I could have at least been warned.
 
I was there and that's exactly how it went down. There was nothing inappropriate said and no warning or explanation given. I don't see why this happened but I think it should be addressed in some capacity
 
Well, if you would have said something more constructive( and I know, you were in the middle of typing your explanation as you were kicked) they probably wouldn't have done that. The caps didn't exactly help either, although that was not your fault.
 
I wasn't there (or at least I don't think so), but I can tell you that you were still in the wrong. That map was created by two of our very own eGO members, and I believe at least one of them were in at the time. If you have an opinion about it, it's best to keep it to yourself, as most of the people trying it out really don't care, and you may offend the creator.
 
Well if you worked 10+ hours on something you just made and someone just told you it was crap would you be mad?
 
While it would definitely be irritating to be the map creator and hear such remarks, and probably had a little sting to it, I do think a slightly thicker skin would have been in order for this situation. I used to write a little fiction here and there, and I was a member of a couple of writer's groups. The way to respond to someone not liking your creation isn't to remove them from the conversation, but to ask them why.

To have deliberately missed an opportunity for unfiltered feedback, because he didn't know a creator of the map was on the server, is terrible. Most people who consider themselves your friends, such as clanmates, would couch their criticisms and try not to make you feel bad. This may seem kind, but it's actually a disservice to anyone wanting honest criticism and unrestrained feedback.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to completely disagree that this was an appropriate response.

He should have been asked to stop the all caps, and then asked to explain why he thought it was a bad map.

I've played CTF_well a few times. I seriously doubt any valve employee would boot someone with no warning for something as simple as this.
 
Listen Invalid, What if I came to your house...Your mom had just made dinner. I sat down at your kitchen table to eat dinner and I said...Man Invalid's mom, this food tastes like crap, and you look funny.? You wouldnt take too kindly to that now would you? Of course you wouldnt. So next time, before you go sharing your opinion with people, lets get the story straight first, okay?
 
I gotta agree. It doesn't take much time to type out what you think is wrong with something. I imagine you would have had a better response if you had typed something like: "This map seems a little too sniper friendly", or "The map's flow doesn't seem to work too well, too many bottlenecks". You know, be a little constructive instead of destructive.

By the way, I haven't played the map so those examples aren't in any way related to said map. Once I try it out, I'll be happy to drop some constructive criticism.
 
I didn't realize the map creator was in the game, I didn't want to offend anyone. So to the creators of the map, I apologize. They certainly did a better job than I could ever do, I just didn't enjoy playing it. That's is just one guy's opinion, and I'm entitled to that. I would have been more than happy to give some constructive criticism given the chance. As I said in my first post, I love being part of eGO, so I don't want any beefs between me and any other eGO members. Saying that, I apologize to the map creators and in the future I'll keep my opinions to myself.
 
I'll be honest, whilst I understand your frustration at being kicked, regardless of my feelings as to whether it was justified or not, i don't think you're doing yourself any favors by complaining about it publically on the forum.

If you feel that what happened to you was unfair, the best thing to do is to send a PM to the admin involved so you can discuss it. All that this thread is going to achieve is make a bigger deal out of what it is.

However that's just my opinion, take from it what you will.
 
Just like in the real world, sometimes its not what you say but how you say it. I dont think anyone is offended in the long term, so lets just move on and keep playing the game.
 
I build maps in Day of Defeat Source and am a proud owner of a dod_orange map. All the time on the server people would come in say it was crap or that it stinks. And I am in there sitting with full admin powers. Believe me I know what its like, but, I refrain from kicking them and ask why they don't like it. I get valuable information for when I revise the map in Hammer.
 
Ok guys, thanks for the response. I agree, I'll move on and just keep playin our favorite game. Just wanna say sorry again to the map's creators. I just think the last point is really hard to reach and too easy top defend with sentries. I think points A and B are really well designed, but not the last cap. Like I said before the last thing I wanna do is start any kind grudge or beef. I'll also try and keep a closer watch on my caps lock in the future
 
Constructive critisim is appreciated, stupid cuff remarks are not. I would not have kicked you but you sure would have heard a few words from me on the topic. Either way I hope you will stick around and if you have a problem with an admin feel free to PM me but for now I am locking this since everyone is aware and apoligizes have been said.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top