Near Death Stories

I once almost choked on an icecube, really scary moment

Long time ago I was watching TV and the left side of my body started hurting. I was all freaked out and almost couldn't breathe. I merely could get up the stair to go to my mom, and she told me to breathe in and out slowly while lying down and it helped. That was one of the scariest moments of my life and I really thought I was going to die
 
Too many to list for me, I worked in Bedford Sty, Brooklyn in the 80's when crack first hit the streets, it was pretty bad. Our precinct was only one square mile and we had over 100 homicides a year. My first year as a Police officer I was involved in my first shooting and many more that followed over the next 15 years. I have been to just about every riot in the city because I was in a Task Force for 10 years. Then I was at the World Trade Center and I retired about 8 months after that from disabilities caused from line of duty incidents. The war stories can go on forever, I am safe & cozy in Florida now ;)
 
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LGyC-uOUCJg

Yeah.... I wish...

Really though, I ride my bicycle a lot, and it has shown me that there are a lot of jerks on the road. I've nearly been run over, squashed, squished, bulldozed, flattened, pulverized, knocked off, whammed about 100 times by drivers who have no respect for others on the road. :/
 
Well when I was born I had a bubble thing in my chest, I don't know the details about it, but I had temps of like 102 degrees Fahrenheit. I could've been killed by it. I had to stayed about a week in the hospital. I'm told this caused the left side of my teeth to lose its enamel so I can't eat or drink anything cold on that side without it stinging.

Also when I was like 4 I got in an old honda we had in our driveway and since it was summer the inside door handles were really hot to the touch. I couldn't keep hands on the handle long enough to open it. My parents were looking everywhere, except the one spot kids always get trapped in the summer, the car.
 
I used to live in Chicago with my cousin and his moms due to my parentes not arriving here on the mainland prior to when I did. I was 13 at the time (this time period was from 12-15 so it was not exactly an isolated incident, but definitely the worst), it was summer, no school, nothing going on, all of the kids were out and about. Normally this is a good thing, but my cousin and aunt live in Humboldt Park on the West side (if you know the area it was Division and Spaulding north of the Memorial hospital). If any of you are from Chicago, you know what I'm talking about. It's like the neighborhood version of Cabrini Green. Anyways, my cousin is, for lack of a better phrase, heavily involved in activities in and around Humboldt Park which required his wearing gold and black attire. There are countless such individuals, as well as others involved in various other organizations featuring differing color schemes. Long story short, I was reading a Tom Clancy book in my room when *SPATSPATSPAT* like straight out of a movie. This was the first time I had experienced this, and it was pretty astonishing. :Long story short, some of my cousin's "competitors" had decided that Division St. had been devoid of gunfire for long enough, and decided to put an end to it. End of the day? This was one of the few "lucky" ones; nobody had died, though my aunt's car was tore up something awful. This was the closest I ever personally came to dying. This type of stuff happens *a lot* in and around Humboldt Park and gunfire became a sleepytime sound after about three months. Thankfully, my parents moved to East Orange, NJ and I relocated to be closer to them. I'll never forget my years in Humboldt Park, tho. I'm working on making a documentary and website that exposes something that I feel every facet of American politica ignores; the near-constant wars in America's ghettos. Let me know if you want to be kept abreast of this, as I'm very serious about raising awareness of this kind of stuff. If you ever wondered why I am so carefree about this game, there you go :D
 
[quote1207505132=Sharpshooter]
Too many to list for me, I worked in Bedford Sty, Brooklyn in the 80's when crack first hit the streets, it was pretty bad. Our precinct was only one square mile and we had over 100 homicides a year. My first year as a Police officer I was involved in my first shooting and many more that followed over the next 15 years. I have been to just about every riot in the city because I was in a Task Force for 10 years. Then I was at the World Trade Center and I retired about 8 months after that from disabilities caused from line of duty incidents. The war stories can go on forever, I am safe & cozy in Florida now ;)
[/quote1207505132]

Bed-Stuy! I spent half a year in East Orange with mis parentes before we had to relocate to Corona in Queens and then Brownsville. I can sympathize with you, my friend. I'm working on a gang awareness for the masses type thing, and I'd love to have your experience involved in the endeavor. Expect a PM :D
 
[quote1207503788=Pock3ts]
i've got a few.

When I was 8, i was swimming the day before a hurricane in Hawaii with my dad. I got knocked out by a wave, and floated face up to the surface, where my dad dragged me out of the water.

Same vacation, not two days later, the hurricane passed, we go fishing, and my dad drops his fishing rod off a dock. He lowers me down to grab it, and I almost get my face bitten off by a 5 foot barracuda.

Two weeks ago, i'm driving my car and trying to change the music on my Zen, and i look up to find a tree not 3 feet in front of my car.


[/quote1207503788]



YOUR DAD USED YOU AS BAIT!



I have quite a list of little stories, let me think, I will probably have to add them as I review them in my head throughout the day.

I can say I am pretty crazy sometimes, I was racing a Camaro in the pouring rain on some back roads in an 85 cavalier. It wasn't really a race, I was more or less being stupid because I was in a piece of crap and he was in a camaro. You literally could not see much it was raining so hard... So anyway I passed him and got way ahead and I looked back in my mirror to see where he was at and I hit a pool of water on the side of the road doing about 90, and those little puddles will really rip the wheel out of your hands at that speed. So I tried to grab it again and I just couldn't manage to get it going straight and then It jerked to the side and I started spinning... very very fast lol... Anyway at this point there were a bunch of cars coming towards me, I saw my car slide and go off the road right in front of a truck, then it came back over the road and went right between the truck and another car, went to the opposite side of the road, up a hill and back down and then stopped right in front of the last car. I realized afterwards that the whole time I was laughing, and I still drive like an idiot to this day.

Um there was the time that I used to play in the woods in the remains of an old house that used to be there. We would all go play out there all the time and collect crap and do other stupid kid stuff... Anyway we were up on top of a hill over the foundation of the house and where the basement was so it was a big hole and we were about 15 foot up, hanging on to a ledge digging stuff out of this pile of dirt ( lol ) and my sisters stupid careless self pulled out a huge piece of piping, and she was above me. She managed to drop the mud filled pipe behind her and it smacked me right in the head. It knocked me off the ledge but I grabbed on to something on the side to keep from falling is, because the basement was filled with junk, including tons of broken glass and half of an old bike which was right below me sticking up out of the ground, it would have put a couple nice holes in my chest I bet... So anyway I was in completely in shock hanging over this ledge and I couldn't speak because I didn't know what was going on, so im hanging there for a minute and I finally regain some thought and started yelling for someone to help me, which we were all little kids they just barely were able to help me. Thats what I started to get dizzy. Why? Because I had a huge gash in my freakin noggin and I was losing blood like crazy. So that was fun, I had to run all the way home with blood running down my face.

When I was about 5 me and my sister were playing on a stack of drywall leaning against a wall in our basement, no big deal. We had our fun and we left. Not a minute later we were upstairs and we heard a huge crash and we went down there and the drywall had fallen over, which easy would have made pancakes out of a couple little kids, I'm talking 30 sheets or so. So I think I am very lucky to have not been there when it did fall, or you would be talking to a much much skinnier Judge.

I have fallen off of roofs while building them, very scary stuff when you've got a huge toolbelt on and you're holding stuff that can stab you.

I have had my share of near misses while biking too, I've even had someone hit me with a huge rock that they threw out of their care while I was passing them on my bike, right in the ribs.

I have never broken a bone though ^.^ and I always seem to get out of trouble.

I might add more later if I think of any. P SOUT!
 
I've never had any near death expieriances, but however, during the past two years, two schools in my area have had a combined total of 7 bomb threaths. Also, two different schools in my area have esphestus. I </3 my school district.
 
Only near death experience was when I was in 5 or 6th grade, many years ago. I was outside throwing a baseball with my brother in law at the time. I missed one of his throws and the ball rolled into a large area of grass that had not been cut in a long time...I go looking for it and all of a sudden I fall into a deep hole and manage to grab the overgrown grass surrounding it. It turns out it was a septic tank that did not have a cover!! Or rather it did but I remembered breaking the cover bout two years before that (after all this happened) Main thing is I did not know how to swim and was VERY fortunate to react quickly. So I start yelling, my B-I-L hears me but cant see me. One of our dogs and its puppies goes through the grass and finds me..then starts to lick my hands..not very comfortable when holding on for your life (its funny now that i'm older). By that time my dad was outside and helped me get out..took a LONG shower afterwards..And I have woken up with a knife pointed at my throat..but that story is boring.
 
I believe I only have two to be honest.

First one was when I was in 4th grade I was walking to school and this lady wasn't paying attention and ran a red light. It was a busy street and she was probably going around 30-40 mph. It came so close to hitting me that the side mirror hit my left harm. It stung but nothing more. I casually just shook it off at the time not really thinking about how close I came to being nailed by a car. The best part is that it was winter so I was wearing my winter coat, and at the time my coat was a bright orange..... Seriously, women drivers... jk jk

2nd time was a couple years ago when I was driving back home with my roommate from my sophomore year of college. We were driving through some heavy snow to make the 5 hour trip back home. Well after about an hour and a half of it we had to pull over and take an exit to clean off the wind-shield wipers because they got iced up and it was hard for my roommate to see. As we try to get into the right lane (people were only driving in the left so there were tire tracks everyone was going down, and the right lane had about 5 inches of snow) we started to spin out. We did about three 3 spins and noticed that this semi was coming at us. We were spinning clockwise and right as we started to line up with the road again I couldn't see the semi anymore so I thought by some miracle it was gonna miss us... THEN BAM... nails the driver side door and front end. We come to a stop against a rail. No broken bones for me or my x-roommate. Only a few cuts on our faces from the shattered glass. I guess I could add a third right now actually. After I make sure he's alright I know I have to go out and wave people to slow down because they needed the time to slow down because it was so slippery out. I go back to the car for a second after standing outside for a few minutes, to check on my x-roomate who is near his car and turn around to see this semi jack-knifing towards the car. I jump the guard rail about 2-3 seconds before it would hit me, the trailer hits the guard rail and bounces off. It made it passed the already totalled car. Fortunately no one was hurt and nothing inside the car was broken... main concern... my snowboard. Worst part is we totally deserved it because we made fun of the about 8 crashes we saw in that hour and a half driving.
 
Two short stories. A couple of years ago I was going through some rough times in my life. The reasons aren't worth talking about, but suffice it to say that I spent a lot of time on the negative end of the emotional scale. Anyway, early one Saturday morning, I got pretty angry about something and decided to go for a drive. A vigorous drive. OK, I was really beating on my poor Civic. I used to race a lot in sanctioned races, so I generally know how to handle a car and was just out taking my favorite on and off ramps at full tilt and achieving high rates of speed. That said, being somewhat responsible about my foolishness, I will not pass somebody who's doing 60 while I'm doing 100+. That's a good way to get yourself killed. In fact, I won't do anything to endanger the lives of other drivers. Nobody else needs to get hurt for my stupidity if I ever have an accident.

So anyway, I'm going full throttle down an open stretch of highway, and I can see that I'm coming up on a moving roadblock -- three cars who are refusing to pass each other. I stand on the brakes... and nothing. I'd boiled the brake fluid off from all of my heavy braking earlier. So I start downshifting and using the e-brake to bleed off speed. 110... may over rev the engine in 4th. Keep using the e-brake... 100, downshift to 4th... 90, got to stay in 4th... 80, downshift to third. By this point I am really scared that I won't be able to slow down for the cars ahead of me so I start preparing to make a dive for the shoulder. Thankfully, I end up matching speed with them (55!? why so slow!?) about 2 car lengths away from the group. I slowly brought my car to a stop on the shoulder, let it cool off, found a pack of cigarettes that a friend had left in the car and lit one. I've done a lot of dangerous things in cars, including driving in excess of 160 MPH on the freeway, but that was one of the few times I've actually been scared in a car. The loss of control in a moving vehicle, especially at high rates of speed, can be nerve wracking.

The other story may not be a near death experience. It's hard to tell. About a week and a half after Hurricane Katrina, I went back to my apartment in New Orleans to pick up some essential items for a long stay away from home. (For those who don't remember, there was a small window after Katrina when those of us in the western suburbs could return home to pick up some essentials before the shut the city back down for the rebuilding effort.) Anyway, I lived in a nice, small, gated apartment complex where several of my friends also lived. Also, since it was a small place, my friends and I had gotten to know the majority of our neighbors due to our social natures, and frequent parties by the pool. So it was kind of an eerie feeling driving to my complex and seeing signs in people's front yards with claims that they would shoot trespassers on sight. This in addition to the armed soldiers directing traffic on the main streets and the large numbers of police in the city. Except, there was virtually no police presence back in the neighborhoods. At least, not until after an incident was reported. There just weren't enough of them.

After seeing all of this, when I got in to my apartment, the first thing I did was grab my 9mm and my holster, load a magazine into the gun, and chamber a round. I had no idea what to expect, but I had been watching the news of all the violence and mayhem after Katrina and I wanted to be prepared. Every time I left the apartment to make a trip to the car or the dumpster (we had a lot of food that had spoiled), my gun was on my hip in plain view of anybody who cared to look. I really didn't care about any laws against brandishing a weapon at that point. On one such trip to my car, I shut my trunk and turn around to walk back to my apartment when I see a rather large and rather rough looking "gentleman" round a corner to start walking my way. This guy really did not look like he belonged in our complex -- remember, I knew most of the people there and if his manner of dress was anything to judge by, he probably couldn't have afforded the rent in our complex. He also had a large stick slung across his shoulders.

We both stopped in our tracks. Neither one of us was probably expecting to see anybody else in the complex. I met his gaze, but was sure not to make any threatening moves. I watched him looking at me, and then I remember seeing his eyes glance down at my right hip where my gun was holstered. I have no idea what was going on in his head at that time, but I know what was going on in mine. He was about 30 yards out and had he decided to come at me, I was pretty sure that at least one of my 10 rounds would find its way home.

Eventually, he turned and walked towards a gap that had been made in one of the fences of our complex by the storm, passed through it, and walked away. The entire encounter probably only lasted about 30 seconds, but at the time it felt like several minutes. The most sobering part of the whole encounter was that I knew in my head that at that moment in time in that city, I had no problem at all drawing on that other human being and defending myself with deadly force. I didn't buy the gun for self protection. I bought it to go to the range and shoot at paper targets as a hobby. In fact, I hardly ever kept the gun loaded. Still don't, really.

Like I said, that last story may not quite be a near death experience, but it was certainly an intense encounter for me.

Oh, and a postscript about the Civic mentioned above. Twice it has taken its revenge on me for the abuse I've put it through. Once when the transmission started sounding like a rock tumbler and I had it rebuilt under warranty. Somehow the bearings had gone bad. The second time was tonight when it shot a bolt through the cam gear cover. I changed the timing belt today, and apparently which ever of my friends was supposed to tighten the belt tensioner, forgot about the small retaining bolt. I'm just glad that it happened only a couple miles away from the shop and that I killed the engine before it could jump timing and destroy the entire valvetrain.
 
my story is sorta lame. i sorta just tripped while hiking down the grand canyon and was like a few feet from a 1000 ft drop. And im sure lighting a motorcycle helmet on my head on fire wasnt to smart either but nothing happened
 

Latest posts

Back
Top