Anime _MEGA's Anime Reviews

_MEGA

EGO Is My Life!
=(e)=
Joined
Aug 20, 2010
Messages
5,688
Hey there everyone! As the proud leader of the anime division, I thought it would be fun to bring you some reviews of the many shows I've watched, numbering well into the hundreds, maybe nearing the thousand mark here soon.

Through this thread, I will bring numerous series of anime to you in the form of reviews, recommendations by genre, and even how to get started on your own anime adventure. Many of the reviews will simply be a short description of what I thought of the show. Good elements, bad elements, music, and so on. Length may vary per show, but expect 2-4 paragraphs on average. Additionally, there may be minor spoilers in the reviews. Also, expect a lot of shows to be in that 4-6 range!

If you have any series you'd like to see reviewed, simply leave a comment (or PM me) and I can try to get around to it as soon as possible! Keep in mind, a single cour (12/13 episodes) has, generally, 24 minute episodes. So a single series alone does take roughly 5 (10 if 24-26 episodes) full hours and some change to complete, assuming I am allowed to give in to my human need of food and water. Also, if you have any questions related to anime, such as my favorite waifu, favorite OTP, favorite character from a show, opening etc just ask!

Keep in mind, these reviews are based on my opinion of the anime as a whole, and it is based on the criteria I look for in an anime. The main points you will see highlighted often are: Story, characters, music, and possibly art. Although I don't take it into consideration too often in the score, there is nothing wrong with enjoying an anime that is bad. Just because something is bad, that does not mean you can't enjoy it! I do ask that you respect my opinions and if anime is not your thing, there are many other threads that can suit your needs! As this is an anime related thread, please keep the posts related to the topic at hand. Thank you!

Basic outline of scores:
10~Masterpiece
9~Excellent
8~Very good
7~Good
6~Decent
5~So-so
4~Not really good
3~Weak
2~Bad
1~Awful

P.S. I am shamelessly stealing Sexy Beast's idea.
Sexy Beast said:
Go for it man. You have my blessing

Just click on a show to go to the review for it!
Titles in bold signify 8/10 or above.
./#:

11eyes

A:

Arve Rezzle: Kikaijikake no Yousei-tachi

B:

Black Lagoon
Blood Lad

C:

C?

D:

Da Yu Hai Tang
Dragonaut: The Resonance

E:

Elfen Lied

F:

Fruits Basket

G:

Gokukoku no Brynhildr

H:

Hand Shakers
Hibike! Euphonium
Hoshizora e Kakeru Hashi

I:

Ishuukan Friends.

J:

Joukamachi no Dandelion
Juuni Kokuki

K:

Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai
Katanagatari
Kemono no Souja Erin

L:

Love Hina

M:

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
Minami-ke

N:

Nerawareta Gakuen
Nichijou

O:

Omamori Himari
Ookami Kodomo no Ame no Yuki

P:

Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai!

Q:

R:

ReLIFE
Rokka no Yuusha

S:

Sakasama no Patema
Shakugan no Shana
Shinsekai Yori

T:

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun

U:

Uchuu Senkan Yamato (Movie)

V:

W:

W Wish
White Album 2

X:

Y:

Yumekui Merry
Yuyushiki

Z:

Seasonal Look-Backs:
Summer 2017
Fall 2017
Winter 2018
Spring 2018
Summer 2018
Fall 2018
Winter 2019
Spring 2019
Summer 2019
 
Last edited:
Hi, I'm Medviah. I like mystery anime. Please keep in-mind, we will be going over a lot of older anime as we are currently at the beginning of the season
 
Last edited:
ReLIFE
82149l.jpg

MAL Link
The story follows Kaizaki Arata, a 27-year-old jobless man, who fails at every job interview he had after quitting his last company. His life changes after he met Yoake Ryou of the ReLife Research Institute, who offered him a drug that can change his appearance to 17-years-old and to become a subject in an experiment for one year. Thus, he begins his life as a high school student once more.
Source: MAL

This show centers around the life of Arata Kaizaki, a NEET who has just recently lost his job, has been cut off from funds by his parents, and is in a rather sticky situation. He is approached by Ryou Yoake who offers him a chance at ReLife, a program in which he is able to repeat a year of his life, specifically his last year of high school. This is his second chance. A change to start again.

Everyone always says high school is the greatest time of your life, but they also say that about university. Nevertheless, Arata returns to high school, but is it not overly excited to be back in class. He returns as a transfer student in his third year (the last year in Japanese high school education), a bit nervous about making some friends as they have all been together for two full years. Although, he reminds himself that he is 27 years old, so a full decade older than the rest of the students, so any affectionate relationships are out of the question.

Arata is thrown into this group of high school students, not exactly sure of what to do, how to communicate, or even how to properly behave. He quickly begins to grow closer with some of the students, even becoming friends with a handful of them. Now reliving his high school life, he faces the struggles of relationships, studying, fitting in, and just about anything else you would think of that high school students would deal with. The story is beautiful and it just feels so real compared to other shows in this genre. A lot of the scenes, especially the drama, I though was written fantastically and only a couple of moments felt like they would fall under the "forced drama" umbrella.

Throughout this show, there are two things (aside from the beautiful story) that really study out to me. The characters and the voice acting. The characters and their interactions with each other has such depth and realism to it, it's incredible. In fact, the relationship and development between two of the characters, Rena and Honoka, is almost identical to an experience a close friend of mine went through during our high school days. And the voice acting was phenomenal. You can tell the seiyuus are putting their heart into these lines with the emotion conveyed. When a character felt sad, I could hear it in their voice. I could hear their happiness. Voice acting on a level such as this really helps you (or me at least) connect with the characters and immerse me in the show.

Overall, I found this show to be absolutely beautiful. I was not expecting to enjoy this show as much as I did, or at all even. However, once I started I couldn't even stop. I had to marathon all of the episodes in one sitting and I was glued to the screen the entire time. I am even tempted to start picking up the web comic this is based on simply because I couldn't get enough. I would love for a second season, but we need more content first! Truly a gem.

8/10
 
Last edited:
Dragonaut: The Resonance
3782l.jpg

MAL Link
Twenty years prior to the story's beginning, an asteroid headed for Earth destroys Pluto. Due to Pluto's destruction, the asteroid, which is dubbed Thanatos, becomes temporarily stagnant. Now, in order to avoid Earth's impending destruction, the International Solarsystem Development Agency (ISDA) works on the "D-Project", and creates the "Dragonaut" after finding a dragon egg under the ocean. This weapon's primary purpose is to destroy the asteroid when the time comes. However, they soon find out that the asteroid is not their only threat, as powerful dragon-like creatures, which are bent on destruction, appear on Earth.

After witnessing a murder by one of the creatures, Jin Kamishina, a lonely 18-year-old boy who lost his family in a shuttle accident two years ago, gets involved in the mysteries of the dragons and becomes the chosen pilot of the Dragonaut. Helping him on his journey is Toa, a mysterious girl who saves him from falling to his death after the creature attacks him. As they get deeper into the mysteries of the dragons, they encounter new friends and enemies, and also begin to develop a closer relationship.
Source: MAL

The summary from My Anime List does a pretty good job explaining the general plot, so I will leave that there so this will be a bit shorter of a review. But the basis is that after the destruction of Pluto, "dragons" start to appear and humans can resonate with a dragon and become it's partner in battle. These dragons take on a human form, but can become a mecha-like suit for their partner to ride in when it is time to battle. But worry not, our poor MC gets sucked into this crazy world where nothing makes sense.

Jim Kamishina (the MC) encounters a dragon named Toa with him he starts to build a relationship with as they have resonated together. Everything that happens to these two characters through the story is out of placed and clearly forced drama. A second dragon joins the love triangle for Toa's affection. Toa is constantly a damsel in distress despite her power, and all of the characters are doing their own thing for 90% of the show, there's no clear path or goal anyone has than to just run around doing nothing. There's nothing wrong with that, but when your planet is being invaded by a species trying to actively hunt you down and kill you, you should be a bit more worried.

The story aside, the characters are roughly as poorly written. There's no real development for any of the main characters, but instead some of the side characters get a nice 12-15 minute dialogue where we get to learn about them. Outside of them, all of the characters are just a mystery and left unexplained. Also, the love triangle that is introduced, as mentioned previously, is solely there to create needless drama. If there was ever a time I wanted the power of love to fail more than ever, it was in this show.

1/10
 
Last edited:
I have to personally thank you both, Without this I wouldn't have watched ReLife, So far it's been amazing and doesn't show any signs of getting worse, Thanks once again and i'll remember to keep coming back to see if I want to check any of these out again!
 
Love Hina
94296l.jpg

MAL Link
Keitaro Urashima promised a girl when he was young that they would meet up again at Tokyo University in the future. Sadly, in the National Practice Exam, Keitaro ranked 27th from the bottom. Knowing his grandmother owned a hotel, Keitaro intended to stay there while continuing his studies for Tokyo U, only to find out the hotel had long been transformed into an all-girls dormitory. Through an odd twist of fate, Keitaro eventually became the manager of the dorm, beginning his life of living with 5 other girls.
Source: MAL

Love Hina is, among the harem world, one of the most known titles. And with good reason. Although the anime starts off as any other generic harem, what comes from it is so much more. The story progression and character development over the course of the show matures very well allowing the viewer to connect with the characters. Of course, it wouldn't be complete without the 5 beautiful girls living with Keitaro!

The main focus of the story is the promise Keitaro made with a girl from his past, who we later find out is Naru Narusegawa. Their promise, to meet again at the university level, does not go exactly as planned, thus giving Keitaro these awkward encounters with these girls and of course, a chance to pursue and develop his relationship with Naru!

The overall plot and development may progress in a similar way to most harems, but if you had to watch one, I would definitely suggest going with Love Hina. The execution is what really separates this, in my opinion, from most of the other harems out there. A nice heart warning story with some charming characters.

6/10
 
Last edited:

I'll try to get around to Yamato in a few days as I'll be gone throughout the weekend. Titan and So Ra No Wo To may come in time. Maybe Medviah will start helping :(
 
Hey there everyone. I'm one of two proud members of the anime division, _MEGA. This is going to be a collaboration thread between Medviah and myself!

What is this anime division you speak of and how come I wasn't invited :P :mad:
 
What is this anime division you speak of and how come I wasn't invited :P :mad:

lol I'll work on it ;)

Also, I have the space battleship yamato review I am planning on rewriting either tonight or tomorrow. It will be based on the original one. I still like to think one day Medviah will join me in posting reviews like he said :chair:
 
Uchuu Senkan Yamato (Movie)
61229l.jpg

MAL Link
In the year 2199, the Gamilon race declares war on humans, intent on taking Earth for themselves. The fighters on Earth do everything in their might to keep the planet stable, but alien technology proves to be far too advanced, and the resulting destruction renders the surface of planet Earth completely uninhabitable. The underground shelters are also becoming weak, and if nothing changes, humans will become extinct in less than a year.

But just when all seems lost, Queen Starsha from the planet Iscandar offers a helping hand. The key to victory lies in the Cosmo-Cleaner D, which can eliminate the radiation that Earth is suffering from. However, the only way to get a hold of this life-saving device is if someone from Earth goes to Iscandar―148,000 light years away―to retrieve it. The problem is, they have less than a year before time runs out.

The fate of the entire human race lies in the hands of the crew of a salvaged WWII craft, the Space Battleship Yamato.
Source: MAL

Finally got around to sitting down and writing this before I go to sleep so I apologize for typos and/or if it's a bit shorter than I wanted lol

Space Battleship Yamato originated as an anime series, but this film is a nice recap of everything that took place. SBY takes your space story to the next level - it's a timed race to survive. As the crew works their way to Iscandar, they are set on saving Earth from the radiation. But it's nothing less than a bumpy ride. The minor drama elements introduce don't feel forced in any way and definitely adds to the story telling of the crew's adventure and relationships.

For its time (1977), SBY really brings to life the vision and potential for what has developed into space sci-fi media. I would not classify it on the same level as say Star Trek or Star Wars, but the vision and direction is true to that of what I would consider a true sci-fi film. The characters who seem to not initially mesh together perfectly grow and develop to help each other and save Mankind. It has been a while since I had last seen this, so I want to avoid making too many comments on the plot in case I say something wrong. However, I do highly suggest the original as I was not as comfortable with how certain parts of the story felt a bit rushed.

A nice enjoyable film.

6/10
 
Last edited:
*looks at my list of anime....*

Let's see... skip SAO as everyone has their opinions on it, and really I'd suggest only the first series or Mother Rosario...

Your Lie in April
Shirobako (and look at New Game too)
White Album 2
The Irregular at Magic High School
Log Horizon
Sound! Euphonium
Beautiful Bones
Brynhildr in the Darkness
Yowamushi Pedal (very long series)
ERASED

(For the MMORPG) Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?
(just because of the name) My Mental Choices are Completely Interfering with my School Romantic Comedy

I can't emphasize enough that the first two are my favorites, but everything else I did enjoy (Except for Erased, haven't gotten around to watching that yet). The last two are just silly suggestions because of their names (and they are pretty silly to watch)
 
Hibike! Euphonium
72445l.jpg

MAL Link
After swearing off music due to an incident at the middle school regional brass band competition, euphonist Kumiko Oumae enters high school hoping for a fresh start. As fate would have it, she ends up being surrounded by people with an interest in the high school brass band. Kumiko finds the motivation she needs to make music once more with the help of her bandmates, some of whom are new like novice tubist Hazuki Katou; veteran contrabassist Sapphire Kawashima; and band vice president and fellow euphonist Asuka Tanaka. Others are old friends, like Kumiko's childhood friend and hornist-turned-trombonist Shuuichi Tsukamoto, and trumpeter and bandmate from middle school, Reina Kousaka.

However, in the band itself, chaos reigns supreme. Despite their intention to qualify for the national band competition, as they currently are, just competing in the local festival will be a challenge—unless the new band advisor Noboru Taki does something about it.

From the studio that animated Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu, Kyoto Animation's Hibike! Euphonium is a fresh and musical take on the slice-of-life staple that is the high school student's struggle to deal with their past, find romance, and realize their dreams and aspirations.
Source: MAL

After Free!, Hibike! Euphonium took the spot as Kyoto Animations poster child. It was selling left and right, and for good reason. It seems music anime are less and less common outside of idol anime. Some are good while others are... not so good (look at you Shinkyoku Soukai Polyphonica). Needless to say, Hibike! Euphonium did not become the poster child without a good reason. It's actually a really cute show!

Hibike! Euphonium is something shows like HaruChika wish they could have been. The characters are charming and really leave an impression. I grew to enjoy and respect the main cast of characters, and even most of the important side characters as well. And there were even some characters I ended up hating. Not because they were bad, but because they were jerks! Needless to say, I did enjoy the characters as well as a lot of the interactions between them - some of them just felt so real. Almost like I would expect to see this back in my high school days.

Where things got really interesting for me was the story an music as well. The story focuses on a band at Kitauji High School and their transformation from a lax and carefree band into a serious group competing to reach the national competition! But what really got me every time throughout the episodes was the music itself. I myself have never studied any music beyond a piano, so my knowledge of wind instruments and their sounds is limited. However, even I could hear the discrepancies and weak points when they would all play in a group. It was almost as if I was progress with the ban as they progressed their skill. It was quiet an interesting feeling.

A great watch. If you're into music related anime, this is not one to miss.

8/10
 
Last edited:
11eyes
73624l.jpg

MAL Link
When the Sky turns Red, the Moon turns Black, and monsters begin roaming the streets, Satsuki Kakeru is at a loss for what to do. Along with his best friend Yuka, they try to decipher why they have been sent to this strange world, which is seemingly empty aside from themselves.

However, when the "Red Night" ends, Kakeru and Yuka believed it was all a dream, until it happens again and they are left in a dangerous situation. They meet four others in the same predicament: Kusakabe Misuzu, an expert swordswoman, Tachibana Kukuri, a strange mute girl who looks uncannily like Kakeru's deceased sister, Hirohara Yukiko, a lively young girl whose personality reverts to that of a cold killer when her glasses are removed, and Tajima Takahisa, a young pyrokineticist.

As the six of them band together to survive and discover what this mysterious world is, things take a turn for the worse as six shadows appear before them...
Source: MAL

It's another one of your generic oriented school life turns into crazy fantasy world with swords, action, anime girlies, and fan service. Nothing wrong with these types of shows, but they are usually average or slightly below average at best. And this one meets that perfectly. A couple of elements here and there stand out, but nothing too impressive. But hey, mindless killing of demons is always fun.

Not really sure what to say about the characters. A lot of the characters seem out of place within the world, and the story seems to get lost at points, but it brings it back together in the end. The first three or four episodes were a bit confusing with the story and characters not being explained/introduced well, however as the later episodes came around some of the fallen pieces started to make more sense. Although, the story itself wasn't particular interesting as it was rather predictable and not much really seemed to happen. Nor did it seem like the story was really in "control" by the characters. Outside of the heroes "saving the day", it seems everything else in the story would have happened as is with or without the main character's interaction.

The characters themselves, except for one in particular, were rather bland. They weren't uninteresting characters, but they were just missing something that made them stand out or seem like they had value overall to the story. Although, one thing I really did enjoy in this show was the music. I found the opening to be a perfect match in tone (Arrival of Tears by Ayane) for the show and it sort of got me hyped a bit in the later episodes when a bit more of the action came in. I also enjoyed some of the background music as well, it seemed to fit in nicely. However, music is not enough to carry a show when it's not a music anime!

Slightly below average, definitely OK to pass especially if this isn't your kind of show. But if you enjoy these types of shows, go for it. Entertainment is what matters most in the end!

2/10
 
Last edited:
Minami-ke
75279l.jpg

MAL Link
There are three of the Minami sisters: Haruka, Kana and Chiaki, who have an average life. The girls only have each other to depend on and help each other get through everything from love confessions to cooking.
Source: MAL

Minami-ke, or the Minami Family, is a slice of life in every since of the term. The story follows the life of the three Minami sisters Haruka, Kana, and Chika and their daily life together and at school. Although a cute show, one of its most captivating features is how simple the show actually is. For those of us who have had human contacting during our days in primary and secondary education, we know that things can get rather... interesting when hanging out with our friends. I know it did for me. That's where this simple every day life is so relateable. It has something that almost everyone can relate too.

Outside of how relateable the show is, it is also very uplifting. The openings and endings are cute, the background music is very relaxing, the characters are simply silly and just looking to have some fun. The characters do feel real, in a very similar way to ReLife in how the scenarios have a certain realism to them. I feel I was able to connect and feel happy when the characters are happy.

All in all, this show is your average every day life of three sisters but turns into something so much more. If you are a fan of slice of life shows, I highly suggest giving this a try. Those of you who do not care for slice of life, you may want to avoid it.

7/10
 
Last edited:
Omamori Himari
15393l.jpg

MAL Link
After the death of his parents, Yuuto Amakawa lives a pretty ordinary life in the city. The only problem he has to worry about while attending school alongside Rinko, his next-door neighbor, is his cat allergies. That all changes on his sixteenth birthday, when an Ayakashi—a supernatural creature—attacks him for the sins of his ancestors. Luckily, he is saved by Himari, a mysterious cat-woman with a sword, who explains that Yuuto is the scion of a family of demon-slayers, and she is there to protect him now that the charm that kept him hidden from the supernatural forces of the world has lost its power.

Omamori Himari chronicles Yuuto's dealings with the various forces of the supernatural world, as well as the growing number of women that show up on his doorstep, each with their own dark desires. Will Yuuto be able to adjust to his new "exciting" environment? Or will the ghost of his (ancestor's) past catch up with him?
Source: MAL

Omamori Himari is a rather cute show, but there really isn't much too it. As with some other reviews you may see with these types of school/harem/fantasy/battle shows, they are all very similar to each other. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but these stories do tend to be very predictable. Although, there were some twists and turns here and there and that made it rather fun at times.

Characters were rather plain though, and the story was slightly interesting, but not enough to really keep me overly excited. Although, I did like the opening and the ending was fun as well. Beam my beam all day!

Nothing wrong with harems, cute girls, fun times, ecchi, etc. If you like it, go for it! Not going to lie, I actually really enjoyed this one.

4/10
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top