- Joined
- Aug 20, 2010
- Messages
- 5,688
Shakugan no Shana
MAL Link
Source: MAL
MAL Link
The world has become a slaughtering ground for the Crimson Denizens, mysterious beings from a parallel universe who thrive on the life energy of humans. These merciless murderers only leave behind scant remainders of souls called "Torches," which are mere residues that will eventually be destroyed, along with the very fact of the victims' existence from the minds of the living. In an ambitious endeavor to put an end to this invisible, hungry massacre, warriors called Flame Hazes relentlessly fight these monsters.
One fateful day, Yuuji Sakai ceases to be a regular high schooler—he becomes trapped in a crevice of time and is suddenly attacked by a Denizen. Coming to his rescue just in the nick of time is a nameless hunter who seems no different from an ordinary young girl except for her blazing eyes and burning crimson hair. However, before Yuuji can learn anything more about his situation, he discovers that he has already been reduced to a Torch—merely a scrap of memory waiting to be extinguished.
I'll be honest up front, this is my personal favorite anime of all time based 100% on pure enjoyment factor. Nevertheless, I do honestly think this was a good show. What first attracted me to the show was the premise itself. When I saw "Crimson Denizens", I was intrigued as I had not really see or heard of anything similar at the time. Also, the concept of people becoming "torches" and losing their existence was a very neat concept to a young me and I thought I'd give it a try.
As for the characters themselves, I loved them. I'm not normally a fan of love triangles, but the Shana/Yuji/Kazumi triangle was enjoyable to watch and not too cringey. It actually got me to dislike Kazumi not as a character, because of how she was interacting with those around her. Her intervention not only played a role in the primary love triangle, but also the relationships of the side characters as well. Speaking of side characters, they actually felt important as well. As the series goes on (maybe I'll review season 2 & 3 separately), we learn more and more about the involvement of these side characters in the world. Most of the characters in the story feel like they have purpose and, to me, it makes the world feel lively.
Story and characters aside, you can't ignore the music of this show. The openings and endings are all nice and enjoyable, but I want to highlight the first ending, Yowake Umare Kuru Shoujo preformed by Yoko Takahashi. I feel this song truly captures the essence of Shana as a character and the first half of the season extremely well. If you ever get a chance to find the OST for the first season, I highly suggest taking a listen. The battle scenes are intense and exciting, the casual moonlight scenes (these are important story wise as well) are so relaxing and it all blends very well together.
I tried my best to eliminate all bias when writing this review, and it really was hard. I actually had it to 9/10 at first, but taking a step back I do feel comfortable giving this an 8/10 and I find it to be very fair. This show truly is one of the greats within this genre and I highly suggest taking a look at it!
7/10
Last edited:





















