Battlefield 1 Opinions on the Beta

Misterboy

EGO Addict
=(eGO)=
Joined
Sep 23, 2012
Messages
1,344
I know some of you may not have access to the beta yet (should pretty soon though), but I'd figured I'd make this thread to serve as the place where we discuss our opinions on the game so far.

Overall, I am generally pleased with the game. Not overly thrilled, but not necessarily disappointed either. Obviously, once the game gets more variety with maps and such it'll be better. From what I've seen in the few hours I've played, there are a few pros and cons:

Pros:
-As always, the graphics are stellar, even for a Beta.
-The Sinai Desert map is an overall good map, with close to medium quarters as well as long range and open space for snipers/aircraft to battle it out.
-The destruction of the map is really nice and the way it changes everything from the buildings to the ground is well done and can change gameplay in some cases (as Binary and I found out, gotta watch out for that debris :P)
-Additionally, the new feature of random weather changes is a nice addition and can really make you feel like you're in a completely different environment.
-The new deploy screen looks very nice and the whole zooming in/out of the map feature is a nice touch.
-The new melee system is awesome. Pummeling people with clubs and/or slicing them with a shovel is very satisfying.

Cons:
-I feel the weapons need to be tweaked quite a bit. Getting two-shotted from 50 yards away but failing to kill someone 10 feet in front of me after laying into him with my assault weapon gets really annoying after a while. Additionally, I feel the recoil is a bit much in some cases.
-The scope on the sniper rifle is almost impossible to deal with. This may simply be the way they want it, in order to stay true to the WW1 idea, however I feel they could do with having scopes that zoomed in a bit more.
-Ironically, the lack of bullet drop kind of throws me off. I'm a pretty decent sniper in BF4, so I'm used to the bullet drop. However, after playing some Scout in BF1 it seems there is almost no bullet drop until you start really reaching all the way across the map.
-Kind of on the fence about the whole "War Bonds" system, but seeing that I generally don't switch weapons too often and the fact that you get a good amount every time you rank up, it might not matter much.
-The only problem I have with the new melee system is the inability to counter-melee. I guess it's your fault if you get smashed with a shovel, but it was a nice feature to have.
-The flamethrower seems a tad overpowered, and I feel like the person with the flamethrower gets extra health or something. Maybe I'm just imagining things, but it seems every time I try to kill someone who has a flamethrower it takes much more effort.
-Tanks are a bit overpowered, given there aren't too many ways to kill them.

Thoughts about the vehicles:
-Horses are really cool and provide a unique way of getting from one place to another. (Also, you can't help but laugh after dying suddenly then realizing you got run over by some dude on horseback)
-People who like to pilot jets in other Battlefields are in for a bit of change; the view from the cockpit in this game is obstructed quite a bit by the wings/propeller directly in front of the pilot.
-That being said, from the ground, seeing and hearing the planes fly overhead is awesome. I was looking forward to seeing the planes in Battlefield 1 and as of right now I am not disappointed.
-The tanks in this game are fine, however, as mentioned before, I feel it should be easier to kill them. Most of this game is going to be played running around on foot, and all we have are grenades, dynamite, and some guns placed here and there around the map. If not easier to kill, then at least make the guns a little less powerful.
-I don't mind the general idea of mostly running to where you want to go. The game is based on WW1, so of course there won't be all the vehicles we're used to seeing. There's going to be a lot of running around, that's part of the gameplay.

I am far from knocking this game as a whole in any way, shape, or form. We've only seen the game for one day and we've only seen one map, very limited weapons, and one style of vehicle set up. This beta will not sway me from the game, because I know there is still a lot more to come. So far, for the most part, I am liking what I'm seeing. If anything, this beta will excite me further into seeing all the rest of the maps, weapons, vehicles, etc. What do you guys think?

Overall rating of the beta so far: 8.5/10
 
I been playing support all my time in bf4 and my plan was to keep doing the same in bf1 but lmg is prob the shittest weapons in the game slowest rpm of all also its impossible to try to hit something thats longer then close range bullets just pop out random :/
 
I like it, for a beta I think it is better than BF4's...not sure about who is decided the "winner" of a conquest map though ...two of the rounds I played my side captured more flags..controled them most of the round yet we lost
 
I like it, for a beta I think it is better than BF4's...not sure about who is decided the "winner" of a conquest map though ...two of the rounds I played my side captured more flags..controled them most of the round yet we lost

Conquest scoring is a bit different in BF1, as compared to other Battlefield titles. First couple of minutes of this video will explain it:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbhaCp-ivuA[/ame]

And, I'm undecided of this title. Weapons really, really need to be balanced out and respec'd. There was an instance where we had Freddie on the pa, and an enemy was crouched in the indentation of the point. I ran up to him, roughly 3-4 feet away, and emptied all 9 rounds of my pistol into him and they still killed me, all while still getting hit with enemy fire. I'm not col with the fact that I can hit someone 4-5 times with my main weapon and they still spin around and one-shot me with a sniper rile anywhere on my player.

At first, the zoom out effect of the map was a neat little feature they added into the game, however, I wish you could zoom into the map, like you can with BF4. It's really hard to pinpoint where you would spawn in while spawning in on someone, and the zoom in/lay out feature becomes a bit disorienting when you are getting ready for action.

The war bonds system is adapted from the Hardline system of earning "in-game cash" to purchase weapons. I kinda like it, but, feel that DICE will micro-transaction the hell out of it.

I did, however, had one of those "only in battlefield" moments, where I successfully dodged a tank that was trying to kill me outside of Butter and ended up having to retreat into Butter (heh) where there were more enemies. Ended up taking out 4-5 enemies with my main rifle and handgun, only to be forced out when I was overpowered, only to see th rest of my squad overtake Butters, thus capturing the point and winning the match by around 20 tickets. That was pretty cool.

I'm going to continue to play it to gain more of an opinion, but, overall, I'm still on the fence on this entry into the Battlefield franchise. As I'd like to put it while chatting with a random pubber before I joined up with the rest of the eGO guys:

RamdomPerson: This plays a lot differently than Battlefield 4
itsfulloftuna: Yeah, no one is airbursting.
 
Well as an old, but recently inactive member i wonderd if bf1 would bring me the back to ego (the reason i left inactive is i went to other non supported games).
And i am stil doubting.
I agree with most above.
And i am gonne preorder it most likely.
However i am concerned about 1 issieu mainly:
the time limit!.
I don't want quick 20 minute games.
I want large ticket/time games at least 1 hour!
I just hope the custom servers including those of ego will have a way longer gametime.
 
However i am concerned about 1 issieu mainly:
the time limit!.
I don't want quick 20 minute games.
I want large ticket/time games at least 1 hour!
I just hope the custom servers including those of ego will have a way longer gametime.

DICE has this set for this purpose, as players tend to stay at the end of the round and then leave when they are finished playing. It gives them a chance to rotate outgoing players with incoming. They have also done this with virtually every beta they have released. This will be a configurable option once servers start appearing. Also, with the new scoring system, I highly doubt that you will see 1200-1500+ ticket servers, because those games would last several hours, really.

EDIT: I will say this thogh. Did anyone catch any glitching with character model backpacks, like they would start spinning around their body like a yoyo?

EDIT 2: [ame]https://youtu.be/LdC6J8odVBU?t=38[/ame]
 
Last edited:
DICE has this set for this purpose, as players tend to stay at the end of the round and then leave when they are finished playing. It gives them a chance to rotate outgoing players with incoming. They have also done this with virtually every beta they have released. This will be a configurable option once servers start appearing. Also, with the new scoring system, I highly doubt that you will see 1200-1500+ ticket servers, because those games would last several hours, really.

EDIT: I will say this thogh. Did anyone catch any glitching with character model backpacks, like they would start spinning around their body like a yoyo?

EDIT 2: https://youtu.be/LdC6J8odVBU?t=38


Well from the 30-40 games i played non of them reached 300 points in 20 minutes the average was 250.
so servers of 1200-1500 tickets might seem to much agreed.
But 800 is what i am hoping to see! Games need to last about 1 hour so they dont feel stellar "like here goes the next" short games take away the challenge.
 
Last edited:
Well from the 30-40 games i played non of them reached 300 points in 20 minutes the average was 250.
so servers of 1200-1500 tickets might seem to much agreed.
But 800 is what i am hoping to see! Games need to last about 1 hour so they dont feel stellar "like here goes the next" short games take away the challenge.

The option was on there that during a flag stomp, the round could end early, or the round could last 20 minutes. But, yeah, I'm thinking 800 tickets is the sweet spot for a long, drawn out battle, however, it would depend on the map. This map that they had us on reminded us of the larger El Alamein BF1942 map, where it was very possible that a good portion of your playtime is crossing the desert on foot. Perhaps other maps, a longer battle would seem more intense.
 
You'll be surprised how small the maps are despite their scale. The most common range you're fighting at is from 5-100 meters. It's not that far, but considering the weapons for the time, that was an insane distance
 
This map that they had us on reminded us of the larger El Alamein BF1942 map, where it was very possible that a good portion of your playtime is crossing the desert on foot. Perhaps other maps, a longer battle would seem more intense.

My thoughts on Sinai exactly. Just getting from the base to the cap points took 5-10 minutes unless you're in a vehicle.
 
I kind of like it...I mean conquest is to take and hold land, this makes you defend harder than before, it also inspires to always advance and take ground...on the other hand they made it like rush except with flags and uncaps........
 
I personally can't get into it so far. It was fun when I first lauched it and got a few bayonette kills. However, I highly dislike the gunplay. It feels so sporadic and I feel like I'm getting more than lucky when I get a kill than satisified. I know it's beta and there much balancing to be done but I find it incredibly frustrating when I unload into someone with an smg at close range and then turn around and take me down almost instantly with a pistol. I think I'll be waiting for DICE to do some tweaking with the weapons and wait for awhile after release before picking it up. I'll be putting my time into BF4 and Rainbow Six Siege for the time being.
 
It's not what i expected so far, so i have mixed feelings on it.. haven't purchased it yet and not sure if i will. Still in the air.
 
Servers are down so I can't play it lol. So far pretty terrible.
 
Toss up if I could even get the game online. The little amount I did play was meh to say the least. Sticking with Overwatch for the time being.
 
Had to play on an Italian server before I could play on a decently populated American one, so I had to wait all day for some time to play it.

I enjoy it, but I'm not amazed by it. Graphics are nice, but I'm waiting for the full game to be dazzled by its wonders.
 
Is this a game that's worth to get early on? After seeing hardline fall so hard, I'm scared to purchase BF series. And BF series have sales very often... so I'm debating if I should get it after few months of release.
If I'm going to spend $60~$80 on a game, it better be good.
BF4 is still heavily populated, will most players move to Battlefield 1?
 
I plan to go to BF1 but I will be late to the party as is my BF tradition, plus I have much to do in BF4 to stop playing...:)
 
Is this a game that's worth to get early on? After seeing hardline fall so hard, I'm scared to purchase BF series. And BF series have sales very often... so I'm debating if I should get it after few months of release.
If I'm going to spend $60~$80 on a game, it better be good.
BF4 is still heavily populated, will most players move to Battlefield 1?

Hardline failed because it didn't really feel like a battlefield game, big maps and vehicular warfare which hardline didnt really cater too. To me it seemed they slapped battlefield title hopping to get more people to buy it. If BF1 fails it wont be the same reason as it was for hardline.
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top