- Joined
- May 31, 2010
- Messages
- 317
(Considering the length of what I had to say and to reiterate an important
issue that affects eGO, I decided it best to post it in a new thread.)
I was not aware of this new rule and had overlooked the notification of the new policy
change, and I have been admin-ing the same as I always have with the previous language
policies regarding offensive language for the past 2 months. I did not receive any flak from any user, as it was
just generally accepted that this is how things are run on eGO servers. Keeping a clean
constructive chat, so that we can "play" the game, as well as converse appropriately.
Not only are eGO members admins, but most are dedicated players, personally as a
player of the game, I find the swearing distracting. you are asking members to do an
additional task of not just discerning whether they swore or not, but now trying to
discern the context of the swear word, and whether you think that person said that
swear word is coming from a positive place. This detracts from the game, because it
means no longer would the members be focused on the actual gameplay (and strategies
of said gameplay), which is the intent of why we are all here... but more on the
psychology of the player.
If eGO was always about limiting swear words, we would have had an addon or
filter set up in the first place, to negate the swearing. That was never the case, as we
always left it up to the better judgement of the admins present.
Even in the past, with all of the rules present of no swearing, people still found ways
of making things difficult, trying to slip in swearing... and when they were muted, some
would try to evade the mute by rejoining... which is 'punk' behavior.
I think, this rule change puts us on a very slippery slope, as far as changing our "core"
values of remaining a family server. It really just opens the door for a kind of attitude and
type of player that we might not want playing on our servers. This rule change will more
or less tie our hands in the future.
I think the best solution... is to allow the admin to still enforce the old rules... if an admin
feels that the swearing is unnecessary to the appropriate behavior of the eGO server, I
don't think that admin should be fouled in the future, if ever questioned about their
integrity of upholding the server rules. I have done my best to uphold the language
policies in the past, and I stand strong in my resolve that we need to stick with the
previous set of language policies. There have been times when I have been lenient
and because one or two obvious slip-ups of swearing occurred i may have not of been
as strict as i perhaps should have been.
I made that judgement call sometimes to not say anything about a language slip-up,
because i knew that saying something would sometimes lead to a conflict that would
have disrupted the server atmosphere. those circumstances were very rare though, and
more times than not, having a more aggressive stance on limiting the foul language,
has proved more valuable to keeping the server in the intended atmosphere we want
to provide all users, members of eGO or not.
Its also been my experience, that when you are surrounded by bad language
in one part of your life, it more often than not... carries over to other parts
of your life. When a situation arises that you might think you need to
swear in public or at work, its more than likely that you will choose to
deal with that situation the way you dealt with it, in-game. I don't know
about you, but my workplace does not condone such frivelous swearing.
This may be your off-time, and a chance to unwind, but I think by
applying the same standards, you maintain the restraint not to use that
kind of verbose language in public.
Back to the point of being distracting, there are several people, who try to change the
outcome of flag-based games, by trying to distract an admin in chat with doing admin
procedures, and i realize as an admin... you are expected to deal with more responsibilities,
but i think, this rule also will have the detraction of setting the admin
back further, by trying to sift through what is acceptable and what is not... where the
previous rule-set, helped simplify the admin task, by disallowing any form of swearing.
I have 4400 hours playing DODS, and I've played on the eGO Avalanche server for many
years, my friend LondonBlitz can attest to that. By sticking to our core values of not
swearing on the server, I feel like this server is still well maintained and full of respectful
members who just enjoy playing the game and having a friendly light hearted chat from
time to time.
When I first came to eGO there were even more stricter rules in place, over the years,
it seems like the rules we can uphold have become fewer and fewer. I think there are times
when we need to stick to our guns... and this is one of them. At what point, do we
stop becoming eGO, a server that has stood out.... for being a mature respected, family
server, full of people who have restraint, who can hold their tongues and limit their
verbose and colorful language... and at what point, do we stop being unique, and just
like every other gaming community out there.
We should embrace our core values, that eGO was founded on, and not waiver.
Maybe you will find that I am not suited to be an eGO member anymore, which I hope
I do not see the day. But I choose to keep upholding the original language rules on my
server. I was brought to eGO by the oldest person on DOD:S who is now 77,
and I'd like to think he chose me for my integrity.
Not to over-complicate this with philosophies, but the WW2 game
I play is about allied vs axis... two forces who fight against one another,
in my eyes... the allied won the war, because they stood up for what was
right... it was their strength and resolve to stand up for what was right.
It came at a cost, but in the end, what was left standing, was worth
fighting for, and I think even the axis side saw that in the end.
You may still find that I might warn people for their language on my server, but I also
plan to be understanding and lenient to how others communicate, as I have always been.
I'm not a rebellious person, I just think that this is the right thing to do, for me and my
server I play on. If I do not fit into your picture of how you believe eGO
should be run, please let me know.
This comes from the heart, and sometimes your heart can get you in trouble,
but I have found over the years, that your heart is often the right thing to follow.
I am passionate about my role I play on my eGO server, and I am
greatful that you have allowed me into your community for so many years.
You chose me to be admin because you respected I will make rational judgements and
will uphold eGO rules and values, I hope you continue to respect me and the faith you
have put in me, that I will continue to keep the peace on our servers.
Thank you.
issue that affects eGO, I decided it best to post it in a new thread.)
I was not aware of this new rule and had overlooked the notification of the new policy
change, and I have been admin-ing the same as I always have with the previous language
policies regarding offensive language for the past 2 months. I did not receive any flak from any user, as it was
just generally accepted that this is how things are run on eGO servers. Keeping a clean
constructive chat, so that we can "play" the game, as well as converse appropriately.
Not only are eGO members admins, but most are dedicated players, personally as a
player of the game, I find the swearing distracting. you are asking members to do an
additional task of not just discerning whether they swore or not, but now trying to
discern the context of the swear word, and whether you think that person said that
swear word is coming from a positive place. This detracts from the game, because it
means no longer would the members be focused on the actual gameplay (and strategies
of said gameplay), which is the intent of why we are all here... but more on the
psychology of the player.
If eGO was always about limiting swear words, we would have had an addon or
filter set up in the first place, to negate the swearing. That was never the case, as we
always left it up to the better judgement of the admins present.
Even in the past, with all of the rules present of no swearing, people still found ways
of making things difficult, trying to slip in swearing... and when they were muted, some
would try to evade the mute by rejoining... which is 'punk' behavior.
I think, this rule change puts us on a very slippery slope, as far as changing our "core"
values of remaining a family server. It really just opens the door for a kind of attitude and
type of player that we might not want playing on our servers. This rule change will more
or less tie our hands in the future.
I think the best solution... is to allow the admin to still enforce the old rules... if an admin
feels that the swearing is unnecessary to the appropriate behavior of the eGO server, I
don't think that admin should be fouled in the future, if ever questioned about their
integrity of upholding the server rules. I have done my best to uphold the language
policies in the past, and I stand strong in my resolve that we need to stick with the
previous set of language policies. There have been times when I have been lenient
and because one or two obvious slip-ups of swearing occurred i may have not of been
as strict as i perhaps should have been.
I made that judgement call sometimes to not say anything about a language slip-up,
because i knew that saying something would sometimes lead to a conflict that would
have disrupted the server atmosphere. those circumstances were very rare though, and
more times than not, having a more aggressive stance on limiting the foul language,
has proved more valuable to keeping the server in the intended atmosphere we want
to provide all users, members of eGO or not.
Its also been my experience, that when you are surrounded by bad language
in one part of your life, it more often than not... carries over to other parts
of your life. When a situation arises that you might think you need to
swear in public or at work, its more than likely that you will choose to
deal with that situation the way you dealt with it, in-game. I don't know
about you, but my workplace does not condone such frivelous swearing.
This may be your off-time, and a chance to unwind, but I think by
applying the same standards, you maintain the restraint not to use that
kind of verbose language in public.
Back to the point of being distracting, there are several people, who try to change the
outcome of flag-based games, by trying to distract an admin in chat with doing admin
procedures, and i realize as an admin... you are expected to deal with more responsibilities,
but i think, this rule also will have the detraction of setting the admin
back further, by trying to sift through what is acceptable and what is not... where the
previous rule-set, helped simplify the admin task, by disallowing any form of swearing.
I have 4400 hours playing DODS, and I've played on the eGO Avalanche server for many
years, my friend LondonBlitz can attest to that. By sticking to our core values of not
swearing on the server, I feel like this server is still well maintained and full of respectful
members who just enjoy playing the game and having a friendly light hearted chat from
time to time.
When I first came to eGO there were even more stricter rules in place, over the years,
it seems like the rules we can uphold have become fewer and fewer. I think there are times
when we need to stick to our guns... and this is one of them. At what point, do we
stop becoming eGO, a server that has stood out.... for being a mature respected, family
server, full of people who have restraint, who can hold their tongues and limit their
verbose and colorful language... and at what point, do we stop being unique, and just
like every other gaming community out there.
We should embrace our core values, that eGO was founded on, and not waiver.
Maybe you will find that I am not suited to be an eGO member anymore, which I hope
I do not see the day. But I choose to keep upholding the original language rules on my
server. I was brought to eGO by the oldest person on DOD:S who is now 77,
and I'd like to think he chose me for my integrity.
Not to over-complicate this with philosophies, but the WW2 game
I play is about allied vs axis... two forces who fight against one another,
in my eyes... the allied won the war, because they stood up for what was
right... it was their strength and resolve to stand up for what was right.
It came at a cost, but in the end, what was left standing, was worth
fighting for, and I think even the axis side saw that in the end.
You may still find that I might warn people for their language on my server, but I also
plan to be understanding and lenient to how others communicate, as I have always been.
I'm not a rebellious person, I just think that this is the right thing to do, for me and my
server I play on. If I do not fit into your picture of how you believe eGO
should be run, please let me know.
This comes from the heart, and sometimes your heart can get you in trouble,
but I have found over the years, that your heart is often the right thing to follow.
I am passionate about my role I play on my eGO server, and I am
greatful that you have allowed me into your community for so many years.
You chose me to be admin because you respected I will make rational judgements and
will uphold eGO rules and values, I hope you continue to respect me and the faith you
have put in me, that I will continue to keep the peace on our servers.
Thank you.


















