Cars - Do you think the 718 line for Porsche will effect prices on prev gens?

blackhawksniper

EGO Is My Life!
=(e)=
Joined
Dec 8, 2006
Messages
6,861
Calling all my car people -

Now that Porsche is coming out with the 718 line for the Cayman and Boxster and switching the Cayman to the entry level car and the Boxster to the mid level trim, do you think this will effect previous models of the Cayman and Boxster for resale value?

Also what do you think about going from a flat 6 to a flat 4? I am disappointed :(
 
I'm curious to see the power from the 4. I think the old ones will become super cheap though - a ton of them (up here at least) have blown motors from IMS bearing issues and just some weird designs. So I imagine it's going to effect them pretty well. I would start expecting to see them around 8-10k in a few years, maybe less without a running motor. Too bad there isn't really much you can swap into it though. My previous boss (when I was an apprentice mechanic) bought a blown boxster with the idea of swapping it, but we ended up just selling the shell off.

Needs more turbo power on all the models, the non-turbo models just aren't overly exciting.
 
I'm curious to see the power from the 4. I think the old ones will become super cheap though - a ton of them (up here at least) have blown motors from IMS bearing issues and just some weird designs. So I imagine it's going to effect them pretty well. I would start expecting to see them around 8-10k in a few years, maybe less without a running motor. Too bad there isn't really much you can swap into it though. My previous boss (when I was an apprentice mechanic) bought a blown boxster with the idea of swapping it, but we ended up just selling the shell off.

Needs more turbo power on all the models, the non-turbo models just aren't overly exciting.

Yea, all the 4 bangers will now be turbocharged to make up for the smaller engine. Better for emissions and MPG but less for upgrading since you have a smaller base to work with :(
 
I think that the Boxster will gain value and the Cayman will lose value tbh. Also most companies are switching from sixes to four+turbo for emissions.

On a side note, it will be interesting to see how this effects local racing events; I think the chassis of the Cayman is superior to the Boxster's ;)
 
I think that the Boxster will gain value and the Cayman will lose value tbh. Also most companies are switching from sixes to four+turbo for emissions.

On a side note, it will be interesting to see how this effects local racing events; I think the chassis of the Cayman is superior to the Boxster's ;)

Yea as someone looking to buy a Cayman S, this has me waiting a year to see how it effects the pricing
 
Calling all my car people -

Now that Porsche is coming out with the 718 line for the Cayman and Boxster and switching the Cayman to the entry level car and the Boxster to the mid level trim, do you think this will effect previous models of the Cayman and Boxster for resale value?

Also what do you think about going from a flat 6 to a flat 4? I am disappointed :(

Countdown until a new 714 flat-4 finds its way into a 914?
 
Back
Top