Suggestions for the Avalanche server

Status
Not open for further replies.

JNS RAWRSCHACH

I made one post
Joined
Jan 21, 2018
Messages
5
Hi all (I'm posting for once),

I hope many would agree that Ava can become a little stale when one side camps hard and everything grounds to a halt.

I have a few suggestions (nothing so bad as when I am raging on the server, sensible ones) that could help increase the flow of the game and hopefully discourage camping.

1. Drop mgs to one per team. When (especially axis) set up a couple of mgs it shuts down the map. One per team will allow for rounds to close out faster.

2. increase sniper to 3. Can make it more likely for an active player to take the sniper spot and open the map up for the rest of the team.

3. Expect more from the better players. Admins should encourage those with the higher ranks and better kpd to lead the team and go for caps. Too many of the better skilled players sit around to get high kpd (mainly for stats). Put a soft rule of 1 cap per 10-20 kills. (slap em, burn em, etc if they don't comply).

4. Reset stats more often (bimonthly?). 3/4 of the players in the top 20 on the server camp hard. Its no surprise since you can lose 100-200 points when you play an average game. people will play more freely if they aren't trying to keep up their arbitrary internet points.

5. Get rid of medic. If you get damage on someone but fail to kill them you've still won that damage. Medic is quite axis favoured since their weapons do more damage (k98 vs garand) and are more likely to get a 1-2 shot kill leaving them alive to use medic.


Crazy suggestions.

6. Anti-prone mod. I've seen this on a few servers. Works really well. Please add this :)

7. get rid of mgs completely (my dream). It speaks for itself really.

8. Anti-camp mod. I've seen one that blows you up if you stand still for more than 10 seconds. Another really good one to add.

9. Start kicking campers, make it against the server rules.

Discuss

RR
 
I think overall we arn't planning on making any major changes to our ava server. It has been the #1 or #2 server in the world for some time now (years?) and I don't want to rock the boat.
 
If any of these suggestions are activated ,as an older admin, I would suggest paying admins in cash for all the extra work they would have to do. Now getting back the real game, dont mend something if it is not broken !!!

LONDON BLITZ
 
I think overall we arn't planning on making any major changes to our ava server. It has been the #1 or #2 server in the world for some time now (years?) and I don't want to rock the boat.

I wouldn't say adjusting the number of classes available is a big change. A few subtle changes can do a lot to affect the flow of the game on the server. A round start is really good at balancing the map again, giving both teams the chance to get an advantage. Getting more round starts more often is the key to getting good game play.

Even smaller things like sniper has a smoke grenade, or support gets 3 grenades all could give a good change to the game play on the server. (a sniper being able to get to a position, or a extra grenade to knock out a sniper or mg).

Would it be possible to try a few minor changes on a temporary basis and see what people think (if they notice)?
 
If any of these suggestions are activated ,as an older admin, I would suggest paying admins in cash for all the extra work they would have to do. Now getting back the real game, dont mend something if it is not broken !!!

LONDON BLITZ

Depends here on your definition of "broken". The server is, more often that not, stuck in a state of: Axis hold mid, mg on balcony, mg on arch, sniper cellar, sniper doubles, campers all around. My suggestions are simply a way of breaking up this extremely dull state.

The mind set of many axis players is to advance 2/3 across the map and pick up easy kills from less experienced allied players. This is the broken part.
 
I played on the server for 30 min yesterday and it was capped out 4 or 5 times. I have been playing DOD:S for 10+ years, and I can easily say when rounds are won, and even more so, when rounds are won over and over, players leave. The hard fought, drawn out conflicts are that much more rewarding.
 
I'm not gonna lie, I think the DOD:S server is fine the way it is. I don't play on the Avalanche server as much as I do on the CS servers but the hours that I have played on the Avalanche server have consistently been extremely fun.

As they say, don't fix what isn't broken!
 
I suggested once before about increasing the points of the flags , this would make all player push harder to win. Lets face it when you see a player like me with more caps than anyone else it make you wonder ??? Most players think their points make them a top player, this is far from the truth, as the flags win the game kills are not necessary



LONDON BLITZ
 
1 mg and 3 snipers... what a heaven would it be for good snipers :) and what a bloody hell would it be for non-sniper/rifle players XD It's not like I have much(or even any) say in this matter but I can't agree with this at all. some snipers already scores near 3.0 kpm in this map and that's when there are 2 mgs who are trying to kill them. making it 1/3 will give way more power to the snipers who are already powerful. there are many things that can be done to make this game more dynamic his suggestion can be one of those things but it can also make non snipe players camp more hard once they see their mg who should have their back, is already down and there are 3 snipers who are trying to blow your head off from the long distance. there's a good possibility more and more players would camp in the cellar, church and spawn.

I guess we all see world through our own experience. years ago I discussed similar matter with my friend who usually plays supports he said there should be less mg/sniper/rifle to make people camp less, I said that won't work cause there's a matter of afk and suggested there should be more rockets so that they can blow up mg and snipers so that others can move up with less risk of getting shot from the range they can't even shoot back. and now I read this thread we need more snipers to have more active game. I guess if I ask mg players I can find someone who will say this map need more mgs cause there are too many afk mgs and players wouldn't move up without mg cover fire. even when we want something similar (more active game:less camping) the solutions we see are very different. and maybe that's one of the reason why there's not much change.
 
Hi all (I'm posting for once),

I hope many would agree that Ava can become a little stale when one side camps hard and everything grounds to a halt.

I have a few suggestions (nothing so bad as when I am raging on the server, sensible ones) that could help increase the flow of the game and hopefully discourage camping.

1. Drop mgs to one per team. When (especially axis) set up a couple of mgs it shuts down the map. One per team will allow for rounds to close out faster.

2. increase sniper to 3. Can make it more likely for an active player to take the sniper spot and open the map up for the rest of the team.

3. Expect more from the better players. Admins should encourage those with the higher ranks and better kpd to lead the team and go for caps. Too many of the better skilled players sit around to get high kpd (mainly for stats). Put a soft rule of 1 cap per 10-20 kills. (slap em, burn em, etc if they don't comply).

4. Reset stats more often (bimonthly?). 3/4 of the players in the top 20 on the server camp hard. Its no surprise since you can lose 100-200 points when you play an average game. people will play more freely if they aren't trying to keep up their arbitrary internet points.

5. Get rid of medic. If you get damage on someone but fail to kill them you've still won that damage. Medic is quite axis favoured since their weapons do more damage (k98 vs garand) and are more likely to get a 1-2 shot kill leaving them alive to use medic.
WdLNRAM.gif


Crazy suggestions.

6. Anti-prone mod. I've seen this on a few servers. Works really well. Please add this :)

7. get rid of mgs completely (my dream). It speaks for itself really.

8. Anti-camp mod. I've seen one that blows you up if you stand still for more than 10 seconds. Another really good one to add.

9. Start kicking campers, make it against the server rules.

Discuss

RR
24bFYRe.gif
 
Camping is a vital element to the game which adds a realistic feel. While I am more of a defender than a camper I see no reason to stop it, I see more of an issue with people gaining enough skill in order to kill a camper before complaining about one.
 
1 mg and 3 snipers... what a heaven would it be for good snipers :) and what a bloody hell would it be for non-sniper/rifle players XD It's not like I have much(or even any) say in this matter but I can't agree with this at all. some snipers already scores near 3.0 kpm in this map and that's when there are 2 mgs who are trying to kill them. making it 1/3 will give way more power to the snipers who are already powerful. there are many things that can be done to make this game more dynamic his suggestion can be one of those things but it can also make non snipe players camp more hard once they see their mg who should have their back, is already down and there are 3 snipers who are trying to blow your head off from the long distance. there's a good possibility more and more players would camp in the cellar, church and spawn.

I guess we all see world through our own experience. years ago I discussed similar matter with my friend who usually plays supports he said there should be less mg/sniper/rifle to make people camp less, I said that won't work cause there's a matter of afk and suggested there should be more rockets so that they can blow up mg and snipers so that others can move up with less risk of getting shot from the range they can't even shoot back. and now I read this thread we need more snipers to have more active game. I guess if I ask mg players I can find someone who will say this map need more mgs cause there are too many afk mgs and players wouldn't move up without mg cover fire. even when we want something similar (more active game:less camping) the solutions we see are very different. and maybe that's one of the reason why there's not much change.

It is only mgs that stop people from moving up. Avalanche is a special map in dods since there are so many bottlenecks on the map. The more mgs, the easier for one team to easily cover a bottleneck. This is what holds up the game.

i agree that the back and forth games are the best, when it seems both teams are trying for a cap and the mid goes back and forth. This often happens when there are no mgs. Mgs shut this back and forth down. Making it harder for people to play mg would be great and stop people playing it all together.

My suggestions are to increase the back and forth play.

As the server currently is the predominant state is stalemate not back and forth.

As for the idea of more rockets, yes this a good one. Balancing out sniper, mg and anti-sniper/mg classes is a good idea. Such as my above suggestion of an extra nade for supports (this too can have draw backs).
 
Avalanche is what brought me to eGO, damn near 10 years ago. I don't think server has changed significantly at all in the time I've been here.
 
It is only mgs that stop people from moving up. Avalanche is a special map in dods since there are so many bottlenecks on the map. The more mgs, the easier for one team to easily cover a bottleneck. This is what holds up the game.

yes Axis mg can stop ally players from moving up and I don't deny that. but Ally snipers also fulfill similar function. It usually isn't ally mgs who lock up axis bottlenecks it's ally snipers. once ally snipers control the passage to the flanks like axis 2nd balcony and arch to the church axis players tend to camp at their 1st since there's no secure passage to the flanks and you'll get shot down from the flank if u go to mid. situations like this usually result in stalemate. giving 1 mg slot to the sniper can make this happen more often.

i agree that the back and forth games are the best, when it seems both teams are trying for a cap and the mid goes back and forth. This often happens when there are no mgs. Mgs shut this back and forth down. Making it harder for people to play mg would be great and stop people playing it all together.

My suggestions are to increase the back and forth play.

As the server currently is the predominant state is stalemate not back and forth.

It's not that I don't like to have some intense mid back and forth fights. but IMO 1mg 3 snipers can result in another stalemate situation as I mentioned above. If we are to change the balance among long range classes I suggest 1 less mg from axis and 1 less sniper from ally. this way there would be much less chance of either team totally blocking enemy bottleneck and can result in more frequent mid cap battle. but there are some downsides. 1st it means 1 less long range class slot for both teams which can upset many players who want those classes. 2nd well it's related to the 1st one, if someone goes afk(or just even decide to camp at their 1st area) with only sniper/mg it can really break the game and make players even more upset.

As for the idea of more rockets, yes this a good one. Balancing out sniper, mg and anti-sniper/mg classes is a good idea. Such as my above suggestion of an extra nade for supports (this too can have draw backs).
I too like the idea for obvious reasons :) but there can be some draw backs as u anticipated. the apparent one would be the problem of both rockets camping/defending same spot. if both panzers are used to defend the same narrow spot it can make the stalemate situation way worse than it already is. imagine 2 panzers at the church bottom, apt bar room, cellar, lower apt exit, 1st flag etc It can elevate the stress level of hard working rushers very quickly.
 
Last edited:
I suggested once before about increasing the points of the flags , this would make all player push harder to win.
I agree in general but I'd like it more if we differentiate the cap of opponent's team's 1st flag and the winning cap(like giving 12 and 10 points each) if we increase the point of all caps it can result in frequent loop of capping and losing 2nd which doesn't really mean much in the perspective of winning. all we need is just 1 or 2 cap at the right timing.
 
Ok for you super snipers.. JNS your a good rifleman/sniper or whatever class really... I see your point however when you add in the super sniper campers it would be a blood bath on everyone without mgs
 
3 snipers???? LOLZ
Just think of the mass levels of people leaving if you had B3, Huckleberry, Player with snipers all on Ally at same time...No one would gain an inch on Axis.

My feelings are the server is fine the way it is. If people start complaining about MG's hanging back, or campers, I tell them the same as I tell my kids, which is to worry about yourself. To many people complain others camp... well, that is their play style and who am I, or anyone for that matter, to tell someone else how to play a game? Some players like to rush, some don't, doesn't make them bad people or bad game play. Some players like to get a sniper rifle and walk away with 300 kills 50 deaths... that's how they enjoy to play. I myself like to hang out in church or cellars to repel the incoming waves. Just my game style. If you have ever been in the Military, camping and ambush tactics work and have worked for many a day!

Superglue has it right though... when Axis or Allies continuously cap out... people leave in drones...see it all the time. When it's a struggle, people stick around.
 
That was a long read... I personally don't play DOD: S a lot but from what I know from CS is that a map is going to favor a certain side so there is no way to "balance" the map. From what I've read and the little experience I have on the ava server that the changes suggested above will just flip the map favor from Axis to Ally and who knows what that could bring hell it might be more oppressive than the Axis. All I'm saying is maybe this should be play tested prior to going on live if the DOD leadership were to look into this. There will never be true balance in a game it just needs to be decided which is the less toxic option. I believe after the server being open for 10 years that it probably shouldn't change much at all.

As for the camping issue people with rifles (grand and kar98) shouldn't be punished for playing around their weapon. These weapons are meant for long to medium range unlike the mp40/thompson which are meant for the pushing and close quarters combat. MG and snipers are classes made to camp they shouldn't be punished for this either. I like the extra cap points idea. Maybe the assault class(idk what it's called but the one with the Thompson/mp40) should get a little extra per kill or an extra smoke to help aide them in advance. All I'm saying is this isn't CSGO it's not meant for you to play super aggressive with a rife. People shouldn't be punished for stuff their class is designed to do.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top